Ftf!

PandyBat

In a round about way, it's a FTF for us. First in the family anyway. We are competitive about morel mushroom finds. Aren't these beautiful!? That's a quarter shining there in the middle.

(My camera takes crappy pics..sorry.)

shrooms1.JPG

Edited by PandyBat

After a bad experience eating wild puffballs that were guaranteed to be good, I think I'll stick with getting my fungi from the supermarket.

When I was a teenager, neighbors of ours were avid wild mushroom hunters. They gave my dad a 10 minute lesson on how to tell the difference between poisionous and good mushrooms. With this, he set out and started gathering. We refused to eat them, while he would rave how delicious they were in his omlettes and on his steaks. They probably were very good. We wouldn't chance it. Anyway, he's still alive today, so I guess he got lucky.

And by the way, I hear mycology is mushrooming. :lol:. Sorry, I'll leave now.

My uncle in Maine is an avid mushroom hunter. He spends hours and hours at it, disappears for whole days at a time. I had the very best mushroom and sheep cheek stew at his house. I gave him a Garmin Etrex for marking them, don't know if he's figured it out yet, but he's a brilliant man, I'm sure he will.

In a round about way, it's a FTF for us. First in the family anyway. We are competitive about morel mushroom finds. Aren't these beautiful!? That's a quarter shining there in the middle.

shrooms1.JPG

Ooooo....fantastic!!! They look quite a bit different than the ones I used to eat in high school, though. :lol:

Morels are about as safe a mushroom to collect as you can. They are quite distinctive, and even the ones you are warned 'look similar' don't actually resemble them at all.

Last year, a bumper crop of morels near a roadside historical marker turned an otherwise average drive-up cache into a most memorable experience for us. You never know what little secrets geocaching will reveal...

Bring 'em my way the saute pan's on the stove just waiting. They look GREAT!

Q-Why did the mushrooms always get invited to partys?

A- Because they were fun-gis. :lol: Hello ?..is this thing turned on??...

In real life I play well with other people's food. :P

Edited by wimseyguy

shrooms1.JPG

Ooooo....fantastic!!! They look quite a bit different than the ones I used to eat in high school, though. :lol:

Yeh....... and now we know why you look the way you do :P:D:P

Wouldn't a ziploc baggie of these make a great FTF prize?  :lol:

Since your mushrooms are a food item, placing them in a cache would not be such a good idea.

I know that. I was just teasing. You don't think I would really give any of these bad boys away, do you!?!? :lol:

I don't remember where I heard this but:

There was a mushrooming couple a while back. They were very avid collectors, and had been doing it for years and years. They collected some sort of mushroom one time, and both ate some. The woman died, and the man got very ill. I guess even the most knowledgeable people can make mistakes.

I only eat the ones from the store. And the ones grown in my friends closet... :lol: