More Bomb Squad Eagerness

AJK

Ok am I the only one thats having flashbacks to the "lets blow up the whale to get rid of it" fiasco? :lol:

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that. A 200+ lb piece of whale blubber, hurtling out of the sky and smashing that poor guys car. hehehe You just can't write that stuff. :P

West Palm Beach police continue to investigate the incident and are trying to determine if it was prank or something else.

Uh...DUH!

edited to add: Uh....DUH! Just isnt enough. West Palm Beach police are going to waste hundreds of man hours and thousands of tax payer dollars to "investigate" the "incident"? No wonder nobody believes in the system anymore.

Edited by fallout4x4
You know what the next thing is?

Leaving a big bag of crap for them to blow up and spread all over the place.

Kids who grow tired of the flaming bag on the porch will leave a big box on the steps of city hall and laugh at the news the next day.

OMG!!!! I love it!!!!! High tech prankster kids!!!!

Oh, yeah, that whale getting blown up was great! If it hadn't been caught on film, no one would ever have believed it, and it would have gone down in history with the typical urban legends........

Oh, yeah, that whale getting blown up was great!  If it hadn't been caught on film, no one would ever have believed it, and it would have gone down in history with the typical urban legends........

Please, PLEASE someone tell me they have a link to that. I simply must see it.

I'll see what I can find..... :lol:

In defense of the boys in West Palm Beach. The one suspicios box you don't blow up is the one you should have. The only reason we can laugh about this one is BECAUSE it was just dead birds and a turtle and not an actual bomb.

I agree on two levels -

1. Why take the chance

2. If I was in the bomb squad, I would want to blow things up

Though, you do have to wonder (given the actual number of real bombs) if the bomb squad should have been called at all. My father was a policeman at major train station in UK during the height of the IRA bombing campaign. People leave things in stations the whole time (i.e. at least once an hour). They would always take a careful peak in, after clearing bystanders away. If the bomb squad was called every time.....

The one time there was an incident, the bomb was put in a trash can - less noticible. He was behind a door when it went off in the main concourse. Others were not so lucky...

Anyway, what was my point??

A funny story about bombing stuff:

First, I work in law enforcement and we have a window that faces our lobby and is open to the public M-F.

One day, I had a customer come to the window and he mentioned that there was a briefcase in the lobby and no one was around it. I went and told my supervisor, "Hey, there is a briefcase in the lobby and no one out there is claiming it. Should we place it into the property unit in case someone comes back to claim it?". My supervisor said she was going to go tell our watch commander about it and to tell people in the lobby to leave it alone.

My watch commander goes into the lobby and is careful not to touch the briefcase and just looks it over. After some consultation with other Captains, etc, they decide to call out the bomb squad. The bomb squad comes over and evacuates the lobby, my office and the front desk. All the employees go out back and just hang around until we are clear to go back inside. After an hour of waiting around, we hear a loud BOOM! An hour after that, we are told we can go back inside. The bomb squad had taken the briefcase to a nearby field and blew it up. We asked our watch commander what was inside and he said there were computer parts, chips, wires, etc. and they were still looking into it.

We all file back into our office and then I get a phone call that went something like this:

Me: Records and Identification unit, this is Brenna.

Guy: Hi, this is Deputy Smith from Arapahoe County. I came to your department to get some files today and I think I left my briefcase in the lobby. It was black and had gold hardware on it.

Me: Uh, you left a briefcase in our lobby?

Guy: Yeh, I got the files and completely forgot that I had set it down by the benches in the lobby.

Me: Well, I hate to tell you this but your briefcase was just taken by the bomb squad and they blew it up.

Guy: WHAT? Oh my God! My laptop was in there and it had files on it from a BUNCH of cases I was working on!

Me: Well, I guess you can still come get it. Currently it's out in the field behind my office.

He didn't find it funny and demanded to speak to our chief. Our chief explained what happened and how they had no idea if it was a bomb or a legit computer so the bomb squad blew it up. The deputy was not happy but he said he understood. :lol: