Gpxsonar V1.2 Released For Ppc 2003!

Here's what's new in this release:

Bug Fix: the ‘Today’ screen is now accessible.

Bug Fix: removed cache types and cache containers from the filters that weren't valid GC.com types.

Bug Fix: the ‘Hide Found Caches’ bit was always checked even if the 'Cache Attributes' filter was disabled in the Active Filters dialog. This would cause caches to disappear from the main list when logging a find in the field notes. Also, the ‘Hide Found Caches’ bit is no longer on by default.

New Feature: cache page details are accessible with a single click on the main cache list.

New Feature: a ‘Dismiss Menu’ item has been added to the cache options menu accessible via a ‘tap & hold’ gesture.

New Feature: a ‘Ignore All Caches By This Owner’ item has been added to the cache options menu.

New Feature: a ‘Un-Ignore All’ button has been added to the dialog controlling ‘ignored’ caches under the ‘Cache Attributes’ filter.

New Feature: the cache list represents disabled caches and archived caches with a yellow or a red triangular icon respectively.

New Feature: the cache page details now shows in red if the cache is available or not.

New Feature: the GPX file report shows the count of archived / disabled caches.

New Feature: the ‘Cache Attributes’ offers the ability to hide archived/disabled caches.

New Feature: added icon for ‘archived’ vs 'needs archiving' in cache logs.

New Feature: added a menu system to the interface.

New Feature: added an ‘Exit’ item to the File menu.

New Feature: added a ‘minimum column width’ enforcement point (to prevent columns from being collapsed down to nothing)

New Feature: added a ‘Filter’ button which becomes enabled when there’s at least one active filters. The button also provides a quick access to the filters.

New Feature: The on-screen keyboard pops up automatically when appropriate.

New Feature: Field notes are saved automatically when they’re closed. The ‘Save’ button has been removed.

New Feature: A ‘Timestamp’ button has been added to the field note dialog allowing to track revisions to a note.

New Feature: sorting is case-insensitive on the waypoint, cache name and owner columns.

New Feature: the application automatically reloads the last GPX file that was opened.

New Feature: a ‘Text Search’ button has been added to quickly access the search function.

New Feature: added a ‘Cache Ratings’ filter.

New Feature: added a ‘Cache With TB’ filter.

New Feature: added the ability to export the field notes to GSAK.

New Feature: added the ability to export cache waypoints as MS Pocket Street&Trips Push Pins.

New Feature: added the ability to export cache waypoints as Pharos OSTIA 6 waypoints.

New Feature: the location of the waypoint files and notes exported by GPXSonar is now user-definable. By default, all files are now exported to the \My Documents folder.

New Feature: the main cache list displays characters like ÖÄÅöäåûüÜ correctly.

New Feature: the field notes report now includes the date & the time when the note was created.

As usual, the Pocket PC 2003 customers are the first served :D but I expect to have the Pocket PC 2002 version ready shortly as well.

You can download the .CAB version here and the .EXE version here.

Please post your feedback on v1.2 Beta to this thread.

Regards,

-Fabien.

...New Feature: added the ability to export cache waypoints as MS Pocket Street&Trips Push Pins....

Life is good. I'll be downloading it.

I guess I won't need GPXView anymore. This was the one feature missing from Sonar that required me to keep GPXView on the PDA. Thanks for the updates.

This is a good update to an already excellent piece of PPC software.

There's always something though right :lol: In my limited use (about 10 minutes) I think the thing I'm finding most difficult to adjust to is the single-click to open a cache page. Esp. with a click-n-hold menu still in place. Already several times I've accidentally opened a cache up while trying to click-n-hold. Can that be an option to set it to either single click or double?

One other thing I've noticed is if you open up list, preferences, and do nothing, it still redraws the screen which resizes all your columns, etc. plus it takes a good 10 seconds. Same thing if you choose search and cancel out without search enabled selected (when it was unselected previously). Minor, but feedback.

Didn't read every post in the thread yet, sorry for any dupes.

Really wanted the S+T pushpin feature, so installed the new version. Can't seem to get it to work, just like I couldn't get the same feature to work in GPXView.

I exported my caches to tucson.psp in My Documents.

I created a map of Tucson, called tucson.mps and sync'ed it to My Documents.

Open the map. No pushpins.

Go to Tools -> Pushpins... and they are in there but all unchecked.

Each one I try to check I get:

"The selected Pushpin is outside the visible map region...."

I'm using S+T 2002 and PPC 2003.

Any ideas?

BTW I'm getting this for caches that I know are in Tucson....

Groover

trippy...

Can that be an option to set it to either single click or double?

Yes. I'll see what I can do.

One other thing I've noticed is if you open up list, preferences, and do nothing, it still redraws the screen which resizes all your columns, etc.

You need to 'X' out of the dialog instead of clicking OK if you don't change anything.

plus it takes a good 10 seconds.

I can't help you there dude. This is an issue with your PDA. On mine, redraws are instant.

Team Spike...

Really wanted the S+T pushpin feature, so installed the new version. Can't seem to get it to work, just like I couldn't get the same feature to work in GPXView.

I'm done all of my testing with Pocket S+T 2004 and things work flawlessly. I've never tested with S+T 2002 though, so I really don't know what could be wrong. You may want to ask advice from Renegade Knight or GeoFool on that one.

Rosco Bookbinder...

Is there an option to NOT open last file used?

Not yet... I'll see what I can do.

-Fabien.

Edited Pocket S+T 2003 to Pocket S+T 2004

Edited by -=(GEO)=-

How are Field Notes supposed to work? I up up the field notes dialogue and add some text, There's not save button so I click the X to close the window. What happens to the text I entered? I can't find it anywhere on the PPC and if I pop up the field notes box again its empty.

Am I missing something?

I am digging the TimeStamp feature. Really cool!

Daisy&me - I am not seenig this problem. After entering the text, and then clicking the 'X', I get the green found icon appearing. Reopening the notes shows what I entered. I tried it on all the options (Found It, Did Not Find It, Write A Note, and Archive) and it seems to work as expected.

trippy...

Can that be an option to set it to either single click or double?

Yes. I'll see what I can do.

One other thing I've noticed is if you open up list, preferences, and do nothing, it still redraws the screen which resizes all your columns, etc.

You need to 'X' out of the dialog instead of clicking OK if you don't change anything.

plus it takes a good 10 seconds.

I can't help you there dude. This is an issue with your PDA. On mine, redraws are instant.

Cool :lol:

Doh! pebsac error there...

Yeah, lots of things are tough on my poor little Axim :) Didn't mean to imply the app was slow. It's actually either gotten faster or my GPX files have gotten smaller :)

New Feature: the location of the waypoint files and notes exported by GPXSonar is now user-definable. By default, all files are now exported to the \My Documents folder.

Would it be possible to also tell it where to render the temporary html files to? When Sonar is installed to a storage card, it wants to of course then create its temp HTML on the storage card whenever a cache is clicked on. This can take 3-5 which isn't gawd-awful but does get a little tiring. Maybe allow to configure to use \Temp or something?

Jeeters ...

Would it be possible to also tell it where to render the temporary html files to?

It's possible but... It means that whatever graphics are present in the HTML also need to be moved to where the HTML file is written. I can already tell that this would be an endless source of problems. As a result, I'm going to leave this one alone.

Daisy&me...

Am I missing something?

Nope. Notes are saved automatically when 'X' is clicked.

GLM...

Can GPXSonar import a gpx file that was exported from GSAK?

Sure. Why not?

Went caching yesterday so tried out this new version.

The new features are great :P .

One addition I think would be nice, is the ability to import field notes from GSAK.

If you need to add a note later on or edit an existing note it’s easier to do it on the PC than the pda.

Thanks for a superb piece of software :D .

Edited by Lennie's Keepers

Any ideas?

Groover

It seems you've done everthing correct. The only thing I can think of is that you don't have any pushpins (caches) in the map area. This may be why none of the puspins, in your pushpin list, are check marked.

Looks like you've done this, but make sure the map file and the pushpin file have the same name, and are in the same directory.

GeoFool -

Thanks for the reply. I am sure there are some caches in the map area, and both the map and pushpins have the same name and are in My Documents. I guess that this is a compatibility issue between PPC2003 and S+T2002. I think I will buy S+T2004 at some point.

Thanks!

Groover

GpxSonar v1.2.1...

I've released a little update to v1.2 with the following new features:

1. The ability to select between a single-click or a double-click to bring up the cache page details.

2. The ability to enable or disable the auto-loading of the last GPX file.

These options can be found under the 'File \ App Config' menu.

-Fabien.

PS: I'll start on the PPC 2002 version this week.

GpxSonar v1.2.1...

I've released a little update to v1.2 with the following new features:

1. The ability to select between a single-click or a double-click to bring up the cache page details.

2. The ability to enable or disable the auto-loading of the last GPX file.

These options can be found under the 'File \ App Config' menu.

-Fabien.

PS: I'll start on the PPC 2002 version this week.

Thanks very very much GEO. You are still the greatest. Of course Ali said that too....... :huh:

I tried GPXSonar today and the improvement over the previous version is great.

I have a suggestion. The way how the program recognizes the cache types could be more flexible. Currently, if one uses a GPX files created by GeoToad, the cache types are not recognized and question marks are shown instead of the icons. This is because GeoToad has a little bug: it appends the word "Cache" to the cache type and therefore the full cache types are like this: "Traditional Cache Cache". This is not recognized by GPXSonar. Also, GeoToad does not use a hyphen in "Multi-Cache", it's just "Multi Cache" as far as I remember. Of course, this is GeoToad's problem (maybe it will be fixed some time) but still, GPXSonar could be more flexible, e.g. just search for the "Traditional", "Multi", etc. substrings instead of using the full descriptions. I believe GSAK is already adapted to using GeoToad-created GPX files.

Also, I have a few gpx files with very long names and in the file opening dialog, I cannot see the full names, they get truncated, which makes the selection a bit difficult.

as77...

GeoToad has a little bug: it appends the word "Cache" to the cache type <...>Of course, this is GeoToad's problem (maybe it will be fixed some time) but still, GPXSonar could be more flexible, e.g. just search for the "Traditional", "Multi", etc. substrings instead of using the full descriptions.

I'm not interested in degrading the load time of well-formed GPX files trying to compensate for the bugs in someone else's software. GSAK can afford to waste some cycles on this being a desktop app but for a PocketPC app, I don't think it's the right thing to do.

Considering that GeoToad is open-source, you could volunteer some of your time and fix these quirks that you've noticed you know... :(

Also, I have a few gpx files with very long names and in the file opening dialog, I cannot see the full names, they get truncated, which makes the selection a bit difficult.

You can't be serious!?!

How about renaming your files to something shorter? :huh:

Daisy&me...

Am I missing something?

Nope. Notes are saved automatically when 'X' is clicked.

Can you tell me where the field notes are stored? I'd like to work out why field notes not working fo me.

Edited by Daisy&me

Daisy&me...

Can you tell me where the field notes are stored? I'd like to work out why field notes not working fo me.

The notes are stored in the GpxSonar.dat file under \Config.

Can you zip up this file along with the GPX file that you're using so that I can take a look? What version were you running before you upgraded to 1.2? Any details would help.

Thanks.

-Fabien.

Daisy&me...

I've looked at your configuration and your GPX file. There's nothing wrong anywhere other than the fact that you've removed some columns that probably should not be removed in order to see field notes: Open 'List \ Preferences' and check the 'TB', 'Note' and 'Found' columns and click OK (You may want to squeeze the 'Found' column back to a smaller size since you had it so wide). Then for any of the caches listed there, you can add a field note. 'X' out of the dialog and you will see the note icon appear.

-Fabien.

Daisy&me...

I've looked at your configuration and your GPX file. There's nothing wrong anywhere other than the fact that you've removed some columns that probably should not be removed in order to see field notes: Open 'List \ Preferences' and check the 'TB', 'Note' and 'Found' columns and click OK (You may want to squeeze the 'Found' column back to a smaller size since you had it so wide). Then for any of the caches listed there, you can add a field note. 'X' out of the dialog and you will see the note icon appear.

-Fabien.

Thanks Fabien.and thanks to Lennies Keepers who also pointed that out a few minutes ago.

Fabien,

I'm slowly getting the hang of GSAK - Sonar exports and imports. I read somewhere there are certain characters that cause XML parser errors AND that you are trying to filter those on import. Well, I must have one or more of the characters in some of my "added" waypoints that I created within GSAK, but I have no idea what they are? Do you know of any characters that you don't filter that may still cause this error?

I'm trying to whittle down my list to pinpoint the offending records, but it hasn't been easy.

Gary

GLM...

Do you know of any characters that you don't filter that may still cause this error?

I actively filter out any sequence like ''.

Are you able to open the original GPX files in GpxSonar before importing them into GSAK? Were they working properly in GSAK?

What did Clyde say about this problem?

If you have a GPX file that breaks GPXSonar, I'd like to see it.

-Fabien.

GLM...

Do you know of any characters that you don't filter that may still cause this error?

I actively filter out any sequence like ''.

Are you able to open the original GPX files in GpxSonar before importing them into GSAK? Were they working properly in GSAK?

What did Clyde say about this problem?

If you have a GPX file that breaks GPXSonar, I'd like to see it.

-Fabien.

I'll email you the gpx file.

All but 4 of the waypoints were created within GSAK using the "Add" function. I think all the pocket queries will import into Sonar fine. So, it very likely is something I'm doing.

I haven't asked Clyde about it since they show up fine in GSAK.

Gary

GLM...

The problem is not with GpxSonar but with the data that you've entered in GSAK for cache BALT08.

Line 608, position 31 in the file that you sent me:

<Groundspeak:owner id=">GLM</gr">GLM</Groundspeak:owner>

Basically, what you've entered : '>GLM</gr' is corrupting the XML structure because GSAK is not validating the input, stripping whatever invalid crap is provided by the user.

You need to take this to ClydeE.

-Fabien.

GLM...

The problem is not with GpxSonar but with the data that you've entered in GSAK for cache BALT08.

Line 608, position 31 in the file that you sent me:

<Groundspeak:owner id=">GLM</gr">GLM</Groundspeak:owner>

Basically, what you've entered : '>GLM</gr' is corrupting the XML structure because GSAK is not validating the input, stripping whatever invalid crap is provided by the user.

You need to take this to ClydeE.

-Fabien.

Wow, that was interesting. I have 8 waypoints that I entered/added manually in GSAK, BALT01-BALT08, and every one of them has the same problem. Must be something with that exact string of characters that is causing the problem within GSAK. I exported my whole database to a gpx file, then searched for the offending problem and those 8 were the only ones that showed up. Thanks for pointing me to the problem. I'll let Clyde know that "I" have broke his program.

Gary

Any ideas?

Groover

Problem solved. I bought S+T 2004 and dumped the 2002 version. Thanks for a great application!

Groover