Logging Caches...

Log it. Brag loudly about being the first to find it. Log it again under a different caching name and complain about the previous finder leaving behind some cruddy trade items. Then get on the Forum and complain about yourself. Flame yourself in a reply.

Find another friend and start it all over again.

:D It may not be the popular thing to do but. I agree with Renegade Knight, I would log it.

I have had friends out with me while I was placing caches, and I have encourged them to place a log on the cache if they want to.

Edited by Vader

What I've seen done around my area is a delayed log.

Wait till a few people get there race-for-FTF logs in, then post your find indicating that you were there while it was placed.

I'm not sure I'd log a find in any case, though. Hard to say, as I haven't been in that situation. I think for me, I'd tell the friend to go hide it, and I'll come back later to find it on my own. A goofy formality, but I couldn't, in good conscience, log a find on a cache I helped hide.

Jamie

Here's what Ttepee and I have done. If she's hiding the cache and it's her cache only, I'll wait off somewhere, away from the hiding spot, and when she's done she'll come back down the trail and give me the coords and I'll go find it. OK, so we only did that once. The rest of the times we are co-hiders, and yes we are stuck with those unfounds on our list foever. But so what?

If your out with someone caching and they place a cache while your with them do you log it or do you have to go back another time to log it? I want to get some caches of my screen.

Neither. Since I was with the person, I know where the cache is, or have a very good idea. I think it would be wrong for me to log a cache as a find under these circumstances. I have a couple of these and they stay on my screen....they both are close to my home so are on the first page, but its not that big a deal. It's easier for me to live with them on my screen, than it wold be for me to live with myself if I cheated and logged them as finds.

Edited by briansnat
Yea Brian!

Is this geocaching? There's no geocaching involved in finding a cache you helped hide.

I guess it depends on how much you 'help'. If you're standing there when they place it, or say, 'How about that stump over there?' then, yeah, you helped hide it. On the other hand, if you both hike three miles up the trail, then you hang back a tenth of a mile out of sight of the other person while they take a half hour to find and place the container, I don't think you've helped at all.

I still would let someone else claim first find, though.

I wouldn't log it. You were there when it was hidden. You KNOW where it's hidden. Therefore . . . you didn't find it. Where's the sport in that? To get it off your list? Who cares? Do you really NEED to get it off your list? What's the point?

I think doing that is just plain silly.

That is my opinion . . . such as it is.

Happy caching and stuff! :D

Why couldn't your friend just add you as the co-cache hider along with himself? There's lots of caches where several users are listed as the hiders/owners.

Only 1 account actually "owns" the cache. The other account names listed will still have the cache show up in their searches.

Why couldn't your friend just add you as the co-cache hider along with himself? There's lots of caches where several users are listed as the hiders/owners.

Only 1 account actually "owns" the cache. The other account names listed will still have the cache show up in their searches.

OIC. Thanks, I didn't know that.

After reading several replies, I have to say, personally, I wouldn't log it. It's not going to bother me that it still shows up on my list of to-dos. You didn't get the

co-ords off the site like everyone else would have to do and you were standing right in the general vicinity when it was hidden, so you pretty much, without much effort, knew about where it was hidden. If nothing else, like Jamie Z said, don't claim it as a FTF if you want to get it off your list. Wait until others have found it and then log it.

I and my (now former) caching partner, (short but painful story, don't ask) have hidden more than a few caches on our outings together, and we are each co-hiders on those caches, some's his, some's mine.

On some, much input from the co-owner was needed, for others, one just happened to be along on the trip. I would never consider logging ANY of those caches, and (hopefully) vice-versa.

In order to keep those caches (and any other caches I won't be hunting, mind you) off my list, I use Watcher to 'launder' my .gpx files. If you 'ignore' a group of caches in Watcher, and save the list as a new file, the ignored caches do not appear in the new file.

One can edit the list anytime, in case you change your mind about which caches to ignore.

You can then use whatever method to upload the 'laundered' list to you PDA or GPSr. Unfortunately, however, EasyGPS can't handle a file saved from Watcher, dunno why :huh: !

Edited by AZcachemeister
What I've seen done around my area is a delayed log.

Wait till a few people get there race-for-FTF logs in, then post your find indicating that you were there while it was placed.

I'm not sure I'd log a find in any case, though. Hard to say, as I haven't been in that situation. I think for me, I'd tell the friend to go hide it, and I'll come back later to find it on my own. A goofy formality, but I couldn't, in good conscience, log a find on a cache I helped hide.

Jamie

that Is what I would do, and have asked people to do after I re-hid a cache, wait tell after the ftf and then they can look for the replaced cache

In order to keep those caches (and any other caches I won't be hunting, mind you) off my list, I use Watcher to 'launder' my .gpx files. If you 'ignore' a group of caches in Watcher, and save the list as a new file, the ignored caches do not appear in the new file.

One can edit the list anytime, in case you change your mind about which caches to ignore.

You can then use whatever method to upload the 'laundered' list to you PDA or GPSr. Unfortunately, however, EasyGPS can't handle a file saved from Watcher, dunno why :huh: !

Sorry for posting off-topic, but I can't resist the urge to help someone out by answering a technical question.

When you save a GPX file in Watcher, do the following in order for it to open in Easy GPS:

1. Open the GPX file in NotePad, WordPad, MSWord or some other text editor/word processor.

2. Locate the "Find and Replace" feature (typically on the "Edit" menu).

3. Search for all instances of this text: "/>" (without the quotation marks) and replace each instance with the text: " />" (without the quotation marks). Basically you are adding a space before each occurrence of "/>" in the GPX file.

4. Re-save the GPX file.

5. Open the GPX file in EasyGPS and all your data magically appears.

If you're using the Nearest Cache page to plan trips or watch your activity, then I'd log it as a find. As a find or a hide, it's the same when you use the &f=1 option in the URL--it gets it off your list.

Many people will poohpooh this idea, and truthfully, I used to, too. But seeings how this is not a game about numbers and you're not actually claiming you "found" it in the text of your log, then why should they care? If it makes you feel better and you want to keep your find count accurate, go find a virt far, far away and log it with a note. There, you're even.

Now, I'd have to say it would be very bad form to claim FTF on one you help hide, no question on that!

A better solution for the future is do like what has already been mentioned. Hang back and let them hide it. They give you the information to let you go find it. Again, it would be bad form to claim FTF, but a plus is you double-check your friend's numbers!

Basically, it comes down to do you cache for the find count or do you cache for the adventure?

Hope this helps.