A New Caching Vehicle... Advice Needed

after being hit by an f-250 truck 2 weeks ago i have the insurance check in hand to get a new caching vehicle......had a hard time passing up a new (used) jeep cherokee but i just cannot deal with 15 miles per gallon at 2 bucks a gallon

anyhow....ive been looking at Subaru's rather seriously....all wheel drive and decent gas mileage are good but build quality seemed low on the one i test drove....im looking for honest thoughts and opinions on subaru's??

or VW jetta's (they're my second choice right now)

oh and happy caching :D

Well I was gonna recommend a Jeep Yj/Tj, as GPS satellite signals pass thru the fibreglass hardtop no problem while you're trekking to the next cache :D

..but their fuel economy probably isn't much better than the cherokee so,, never mind lol

We have a 1998 Honda CRV and love it. All wheel drive. Handles like a car. Better visibility than Subarus, and better quality in my opinion. My last Honda went over 210,000 miles, and this one is at 112,00 with no repairs at all, which is better than the many friends we have with Outbacks who've started having problems at a little over 100k. The CRV gets 25mpg on the highway.

A friend has a Jetta TDI (diesel). He gets over 50mpg (!) and it's also pretty zippy. He's had to do some maintenance. VW quality seems a little below Subaru, but Jettas are definitely sexier.

Take your GPS with you when you test drive. Most cars have no reception trouble, but I rode in a Saturn Vue that got no reception at all.

Edited by Karma Hunter

So much of this really depends on what you want/need it for, personal preferences, price range, etc.... For example, Karma Hunter loves their CRV and speaks highly of it, which is great. To me, driving a CRV would be like a living, fiery hell. :D It's about the last vehicle on the planet that I would want to be associated with, but that just me and I'll be happily in the minority there.

As for Subarus, they don't seem like the most (or the least) reliable things out there. The interiors have a pretty bad rep but overall the cars are considered good values for the money. If you're concerned about the build quality, I would shop elsewhere and look for something that will give you better peace of mind in that area.

There are some amazing used car bargains out there. Hopefully you can afford to take some time to do plenty of research and take test drives before diving in, whether you buy new or used.

Good luck!

If I had cash in hand I'd be tempted by This Subaru.

Looks like that link points to the WRX STi.... No arguments there! I'd have waaaaay too much fun in one of those. (Although again for the $35k price I'd be considering a lot of other fun vehicles as well, like a nice 308GTB.)

But for someone considering used Cherokees and Jettas, I'm pretty certain that an STi isn't what he/she had in mind.

Speaking of Jettas, I've heard good things about them but I'd also be looking at comparible Audi A4/A6 models and BMW 3-series. Again, that's me.

I had a friend who had a Rodeo and he didn't like it. In the same catagory the 4 Runner is a much better rig along with the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I don't know much about the price difference though. The Toyota Tacoma TRD Quad Cab is a good rig for the money. Seats as many as a Rodeo but you need to put a shell on for that 'suv' look.

I had a friend who had a Rodeo and he didn't like it. In the same catagory the 4 Runner is a much better rig along with the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I don't know much about the price difference though. The Toyota Tacoma TRD Quad Cab is a good rig for the money. Seats as many as a Rodeo but you need to put a shell on for that 'suv' look.

I don't really need the SUV look, but I do like the idea of more seats then just a regular pick-up. Good suggestion. Thanks!

I absolutely love my Subaru Forester. Everyone that rides in it finds it comfortable. It carries all my stuff in the back, my boats on top, and goes up the rutty back dirt roads of Vermont. I haven't had any mechanical problems with it, except I had to replce tires and windshield wipers so far. It's just two years old and it has 46K miles one it (geocacher, you know). One of my favorite features is the hump in the dashboard, it holds my Garmin Legend right in place against the windshield without the use of a mount. :D Gas mileage is good, and it's just like having an SUV without being a road hog/gas pig. And I can still see over the front and out the back. I did have one issue with the drink cup holder being right over the radio and a Burger King cup not standing up very well, and had to replace the radio (free, not my fault) but that design flaw has been fixed in the newer models. The price was right too.

Here it is at the GeoJamboree 1 loaded for bear:

1520168_200.JPG

2 things-

Your SUV is not a Jeep, my Jeep is not an SUV

All wheel drive is not the same as 4 wheel drive.

Jeep is in a different category of vehicle then the other vehicles being talked about. I own a Wrangler and a Grand Cherokee. It depends on what the terrain is like by you. If your looking for a capable off road vehicle look at Jeeps and other similar vehicles. If your looking for a vehicle with good gas mileage that can handle a less traveled dirt road then just about any of the all wheel drive vehicles that have been mentioned will get you there if you drive smart.

Close friends have the Outback and the Forester. Both great vehicles. Very versatile, reliable and fun to drive. The outback is more wagon like and the forester feels like a small truck. definitely worth a check out. The CR-V rates well in consumer reports but doesn't have the storage of the Subarus.

My wife had a Subaru Legacy Subaru Outback and I had a Honda Civic.After about 150,000 miles each, my Civic had been in the shop maybe a half dozen times, all for routine maintenance (brakes, timing belt, exhaust replacement). My wife's Subaru made routine visits, to the point she's on a first name basis with the service manager and every mechanic greets her by name when she stops in.

I've since purchased a Honda CRv and love it. Gets great gas mileage for an SUV. I don't feel like I'm driving a boat and it takes me where I want to go, with Honda's reputation for reliability. My wife just got another Outback. Lets see what happens this time.

I know they (Isuzu Rodeo) were originally sold as the Honda Passport before Honda came out with the CRV. I was hoping that meant they had as good quality as a real Honda.

And if you check Consumer Report's reliabity ratings, you'll find the Honda Passport to be the only Honda with less than stellar reliability ratings. In fact the Passport is rated pretty low, as is the Rodeo.

Edited by briansnat

Is it just me or do Subarus seem to be a crummy value? I'm a happy Honda owner who is persuaded by a dozen subaru-driving friends that their cars are reliable enough, but when I went to seriously look at buying one they seemed really expensive.. Hondas seemed to be a lot more car for the money.

Is it just me or do Subarus seem to be a crummy value? I'm a happy Honda owner who is persuaded by a dozen subaru-driving friends that their cars are reliable enough, but when I went to seriously look at buying one they seemed really expensive.. Hondas seemed to be a lot more car for the money.

My CRV was a tad over $18,000 so I tend to agree. Since we wanted a manual transmission and they apparently don't sell well, we really got to chew them down.

Edited by briansnat

My wife has a 93 Subaru Legacy with 145000 miles on it and it's still going strong. It's been through Colorado winters and Central Texas summers and hasn't missed a beat. With 2 kids now, she wants a mini-van but she can't stand to give up her old Subie. We've only done regular maintenance on it in the 10 years we've had it plus occasional belts, tires, brakes and hoses. I don't know about the new Subarus since ours is so old, but we sure do love ours.

I had a 90 Jeep Cherokee that I'd love to have all over again. It made it through the same weather that the Subaru went through. I took it up nearly every mountain in Colorado. I put 199000 miles on it before I sold it to a friend who turned it into a "muddin'" vehicle. Again, all I did was regular maintenance, although I had to replace a water pump once because of my own stupidity.

-E

i've never had a car that wasn't a subaru wagon. i love them. they make great cache vehicles. my only advice is that you might consider a forester, since the others are lower to the ground and won't get you over rough terrain because they have kind of low clearance and a long wheel base.

there's good room for cargo, and room for all kinds of racks.

I have a `99 Subaru Forester and have taken this on many an off-road that made some cringe. It handled snow, large rocks, and loose soil and sand like a cat on a window sill. It was sure-footed and the AWD gave as much as any 4x4 would in the same circumstances. Its short wheelbase was an added plus over anything larger than an F150 or Jeep GC. It's turning radius is inside most other vehicles. We've bought it used and driven it for the last 80,000 miles and the only thing wrong with it is the rear wiper motor is finally wearing out gratis the Puget Sound weather, and the overhead clock is off. The motor seals blew but that was warranty work and there is a recall notice for it now to add an additive to the coolant to keep the seals from losing their elasticity. Overall one of the best workhorse of a car that I've ever owned with great gas mileage.

That is an honest comparison with my `94 Jeep GC Laredo 4x4 which I am also very happy with although the current gas prices are making me cringe more than the off-roads are these days. :D

I helped a friend used-car shop for a station-wagon recently and was dismayed at the poor Subaru quality.

Thin sheet metal on the top would cause the roof to "pop" as you crossed 50 mph... Weird interior defects... Sorta' like VW used to be--lots of random problems that more costly to fix than live with.

The Subarus were WAY overpriced for what you got. (We checked out and actually drove about a half-dozen.)

They did make a name for themselves having the first cheapest 4WD system out there..

Fortunately my friend found a Honda that was priced similarly and in perfect shape. She's loved it.

I know Subaru's have that same cult following that Volvo station wagons had previously, but I find them overpriced for what you get now.

The WRX is too much money for it's performance--a Honda S2000, Mazda RX8, Mitsu Spyder or even the overpriced Porsche BoxsterS blow it away in value.

Again, this is just my opinion after objectively testing a half-dozen higher mileage Subaru's. As always there are exceptions, but do you want to gamble on being the exception?

hth,

Randy

I drive a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. I have had Chevys, Fords, and Dodges mainly on the ranch, and lots of highway miles. By far I love my Toyota. 20 miles to a gallon for a 4-door 4X4 is pretty good, and they offer more ground clearance than the Subaru's. The build quility is out standing. Lots of add on options if you wanted, mine is a limited edition and I have only added XM Radio, and a Rhino Liner so far. I will lift it and add a winch with new front bumper in the future. Other than a Jeep I don't think I would buy from the big 3. Something else you might want to think about how close is a Subaru dealer to you? What if you move will there be one close? I had an Isuzu and when I moved back to Texas the closest dealer to me was 90miles. My GeoRide.Cropped.jpg

I've been driving Jeeps for some 30 years and could never bring myself to purchase foreign vehicles that are crammed packed with electronic and plastic components that really aren't needed.

With the older Jeeps you get the feel for the road and the firebreak dirt road; today's stuff and even stuff built over the past 15 years or more have the feel of the road engineered out of them. It's like sitting in an easy chair in front of the television, it's too smooth and controlled.

Who needs power steering, breaks, windows, DVD player, windshield washers, air bags, adaptive suspension, air conditioning, motorized seating, fog lamps and what else? It all adds to the weight of the car, adds to the number of movable and electronic components that can break down or are designed to break down, costs more, and only provide riders with additional excuses to be lazy.

If you're looking at newer cars, not a one of them offer a bare-bones, feel-the-road committment to simplicity and requirement of the operator to actually work a little. An older Jeep Cherokee square hatch back with roof rack does all anybody needs.

hey, moderator, is that really necessary?

I second that.

Back on topic... I've said this before; for the money, we've found the Pontiac Vibe to be an outstanding choice. Its cheep, made by Toyota*, has plenty of room for 4 plus a mid size puppy, has a roof rack, great gas mileage (we average around 30mpg), optional all wheel drive (although ground clearance isn't all that much)...hell the thing even has a standard 110 outlet to recharge your batteries...

I can't say we went looking for the Vibe. It was more of a happy accident. But, it has really become the standard by which we measure other cars. If you have even the slightest interest, go drive one. It wasn't until then that we saw and felt the posibilities...

Good luck!

edit: * The Toyota Matrix is the sister car to this. Both are made at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA. The Matrix trim, though, is far less utilitarian in look and use.

Edited by CacheCreatures

Right now I drive a 97 Cherokee, bare bones and I love it. It gets about 20 mpg usually and is great to drive.

My fiance has a grand cherokee (same year) limited with every option, It's always got something wrong with it. She hates the way it drives, the gas mileage (15), the road noise ext..

The mother in law has a 2000 grand cherokee w/ the V8 and it rides nice, has alot of pickup, and alot of room. but they say the earlier models had alot of problems.

I looked at the Subaru's, Hondas, and many other smaller cars before I finally got the cherokee and I'm very glad that I did. It has never let me down and it was about $8,000 cheaper than the subaru's I was looking at (same year)

BTW, the 2005 Grand Cherokees are redesigned and look really cool, might be something to look for.

Joe

Well I have owned two Subarus, and I didn't like the first one. It was my very first car. Now, years later, I own a 2001 Outback VDC that I have already put 76k miles on. I admit that my experience is especially enhanced by a great dealership that I can trust (Santa Cruz Subaru) even though I know of people who have got theirs from bad dealers (Steven's Creek). I digress... Subaru changed their motors in the mid nineties, and they have become much better, and have a lot more power. My VDC is very nice because it has 212 hp and gets 27 mpg on my commute! I really enjoy it and find it to be the best vehicle I have ever driven in poor weather. I differ in the opinion that you can get a better Honda for the same price. Hondas are much more expensive if you actually put the options on them to match a subie. As far as quality goes... I have had no problems. And looks? Well, somebody said that they are fugly. That must be somebody that doesn't like wagons in the first place. I like wagons, and I especially love the combination of cargo space, passenger space, and low center of gravity. It isn't an SUV that will roll if you back out of your parking space too fast.

Also, I prefer AWD to 4WD. I sacrifice a little bit of turning radius and gas mileage in order to have my safety devices on all the time. Unless you are an actual 4 wheeler, wouldn't you want it on all the time? I am not going to stop on the side of the road when the rain starts, but I sure want all four wheels working together when it is raining!

IMHO

Last Friday I said goodbye to my 1995 Subaru Legacy AWD wagon. I can't really complain about the build quality of the car, however, I can (and will) complain about Subaru - the Company. While "under" warranty I had to replace the crank and cam sensors - Subaru said they were NOT part of the powertrain and therefore not covered under the warranty! I then had to have the transmission rebuilt (automatic) after only 49,500 miles! The car was out of warranty based on time NOT mileage - even the service manager at the local dealership thought they would cover it - no such luck ($1200 to repair). For the record the car was well maintained. Other than those issues the car served me well. It's hard to recommend an auto company that will not stand behind their product. Buy a Honda.

I've been driving Jeeps for some 30 years and could never bring myself to purchase foreign vehicles that are crammed packed with electronic and plastic components that really aren't needed.

With the older Jeeps you get the feel for the road and the firebreak dirt road; today's stuff and even stuff built over the past 15 years or more have the feel of the road engineered out of them. It's like sitting in an easy chair in front of the television, it's too smooth and controlled.

Who needs power steering, breaks, windows, DVD player, windshield washers, air bags, adaptive suspension, air conditioning, motorized seating, fog lamps and what else? It all adds to the weight of the car, adds to the number of movable and electronic components that can break down or are designed to break down, costs more, and only provide riders with additional excuses to be lazy.

If you're looking at newer cars, not a one of them offer a bare-bones, feel-the-road committment to simplicity and requirement of the operator to actually work a little. An older Jeep Cherokee square hatch back with roof rack does all anybody needs.

Granted they're not needed, but some of those are nice to have when you're stuck in traffic during rush hour. I've driven everything from manual everything to auto and powered everything. Simply for creature comfort, I choose the latter and there's nothing wrong with that. I take exception to being considered lazy because of it.

How about a '48 Willys? That was my first 'jeep' and where I learned to drive stick. When we hit a bump in the road in the Willys, the doors fell off. :lol:

-E

I re-read your initial post and will say that when buying used, there is more to consider. I got my Subaru Outback new on lease because all I could do for a new car at the time was a lease and the Subaru totaly met my needs and I negotiated a great buy out deal. Later, I bought the car outright under a set lease negotiation buy out price $7k below the normal price for a similar used one. The thing with the Outback is that it depreciates less, so I ended up OK/pretty well off. The math gets weird, but basically I negotiated a new car where I ended up initially paying $90 over invoice on the lease (never go by MSRP!) and then bought outright at a lower price than normal, but I likely paid $2k extra in interest, so around $5k saved overall (besides the working up from invoice other than down from MSRP thing, which also saved me an additional $2-3k or so). I think I paid around $20k for it on lease in 1999 and bought out at around $13k a year or so later. So, I ended up at around $15-16k overall. I think I got a good deal simply from the hassle I got when buying out. The car lot people kept trying to convince me that I really needed another new one on lease and trade the other, and when I balked at that they tried to sell me a $3k maintenance agreement/extended warranty when I had already been offered one for $400! Of course, I took the $400 thing!

If buying used to start with, the less depreciation on Subarus means that you could likely overpay. I think that they are overvalued used. New, and you have to negotiate carefully. Others depreciate less too, Honda in particular, but they are cheaper to begin with. Still, the same considerations apply. Anyway, I say just set your price range and expectations of the vehicle and then drive a bunch. Hondas and Toyotas have great reliabilty records. I love my Subaru, and have not had the listed problems, but don't know that I could afford a used one, I got that $7k break there.

Mostly, just find a vehicle you are comfortable driving. I drove a ton when I bought and got the Subaru not only because it met my needs, but because it fit me. If you are uncomfortable in one, go for another! I do think that Jeeps have more normal depreciation and a good track record, so if buying used that is a consideraton. You can get great gas mileage in a Subaru, but if the increased cost in price (and interest if you take a loan) is enough that it would not off-set, then it could make more sense to go cheaper to begin with.

Mostly just make sure that you like the vehicle! :lol:

Close friends have the Outback and the Forester. Both great vehicles. Very versatile, reliable and fun to drive. The outback is more wagon like and the forester feels like a small truck. definitely worth a check out. The CR-V rates well in consumer reports but doesn't have the storage of the Subarus.

I have both an '00 Outback and an '02 CRV.

The CRV is bigger by a bit than the Outback and holds a bit more (it's a gen2 CRV which is bigger than the gen1). Both are great cars, and at 46k on the Outback and 41k on the CRV, both are running strong. Neither have had a mechanical problem, though both have had minor recalls (incidentally both cars are "first year models" of new designs so recalls are par for the course).

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend EITHER car to my closest friends.... but I'd suggest you drive both and see which you like better as they drive substantially different than one another. As Halden suggested, the "SUV" vs "wagon" difference is more than just looks. The Forester is similar to the CRV vs the Outback in that the gears are rated a bit different--more torque, though all three have the same rated horsepower.

Edited by robert

I don't think plastic parts and un needed electronic components are limited to foreign vehicles. And what exactly is a is "foreign vehicle"? Many Hondas and Toyotas are built in the US, while many "good old American cars" are built in Canada and Mexico.

I have a 2002 Subaru Outback VDC (sedan) with about 56K miles, and I wouldn't buy another one. It's extremely noisy inside at highway speeds (it's basically impossible to hold a conversation at high speeds). The climate control system is the absolute worst of any car I've ever had. And the interior feels just sort of average, although it was an expensive car (expensive to me, anyway, about $28K). We just get yet another safety recall in the mail last night (this is I think the fourth one in less than two years). The one thing that is great about it is the feature we bought it for: the ability to get up our extremely steep driveway even when it's covered with ice. Our previous cars couldn't make it up the hill in winter.

Right now I drive a 97 Cherokee, bare bones and I love it. It gets about 20 mpg usually and is great to drive.

My fiance has a grand cherokee (same year) limited with every option, It's always got something wrong with it. She hates the way it drives, the gas mileage (15), the road noise ext..

That's the puppy! Bare bones also is very good for parking one's vehicle out in the middle of the Mojave desert in 110 degrees heat for a week while knocking around the hills. Less hoses, plastic, rubber and what else to get soft and spongy in the heat.

I spend a _lot_ of time as far from civilization as I can get -- by mutual agreement between myself and civilization. :lol: and many has been the time I or my brother Desertphile (see http://www.desertphile.org/ ) have rescued someone in new cars that couldn't take it for one reason or another.

Older Jeeps are the way to go.

I drive the winnibago...oh sorry,I have a jeep wrangler 4.0L & wouldn`t drive anything else...except my wifes jeep liberty!Anyhoo,I get about 15/18 MPG.It has a soft top so I recieve a GPS signal.Love it. Only in a jeep. :lol:

I've always wanted one of those but owners never seem to want to give them up and I'll never be rich enough to purchase a new one.

Many times I've wanted one while sweating in the desert sun digging my own Jeep's tires loose.

How about a '48 Willys? That was my first 'jeep' and where I learned to drive stick. When we hit a bump in the road in the Willys, the doors fell off. :lol:

-E

Someone in Glendora has one of those in a restoration show room for sale -- and if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. }:-} It looks like it was the first military Jeep rolled off the assembly line.

I adore my 2003 Subaru Forester! It gets great mileage (I average about 23mpg city, 31 hwy) and I can pack tons of stuff into it. It picked the options to have the gigantic sunroof, a premium sound system and 6 CD changer, and 5 speed. The AWD gets me everywhere I need to go (we have lots of snow here in NH). I highly recommend it!! :lol:

When I test-drove the Honda CRV, it didn't have the handling the Forester did. I had no trouble getting it to slide doing donuts in a sandy parking lot. The Forester gripped tight to the pavement. I love Hondas, but the CRV just felt flimsy.

Nancy

Everyone has been most helpful! Another issue I have with jeeps is that they are built in Mexico and are not really American by that definition, but then neither is a Subaru. Living with the Big Three in your backyard can be tough when looking for a new car! I have a 99 Subaru Impreza that im looking at, i wanted to get a 00 or younger because of the revamp but cannot seem to find a decently priced one with low miles. The 99 impreza only has 35 k miles and the guy wants 8k for it. Oh plus im at work 8 days a week so I never have time to do this whole car buying thing. I also looked at the pontiac vibe but it's too new and out of my price range hence. Even the family mechanic has tried to convince me to get a Honda, but the Civic will have to bat third in rotation until all Subaru attempts have failed, though my research has uncovered some vicious truths about VW's of recent. Thank you all again for HO's and keep them coming

P.S. Anyone near the motor-city got a nice car for sale cheap? a fellow-cacher discount?

My 98 Forester has had the rear wheel bearings replaced a half dozen times - multiples on both sides. The first was under warranty. The next three were under the extended warranty and the last two on my tab. It's around $350 per.

I've got 130,000 miles on this car and while it is the perfect size and I love the way it handles and carries my stuff, I wouldn't buy another one unless I got an extended warranty thrown in/dirt cheap.

That said, I've never felt out of control in this car. We get a fair amount of snow and ice and I have always felt as if I'm velcro'd to the road.