Is Somebody "marking" My Caches??

archaeor

Today I visited one of my recently placed caches, which is located just a few feet off of the side of a paved road. I placed this cache less than a week ago.

Today I discovered that somebody had recently (after the cache was placed) used spray-paint and a stencil to create the design pictured below, painted on the asphalt near the edge of the road, within 5 feet of where the cache is located. The design is about 12" in diameter.

32217650-38aa-00800080-.jpg

This isn't any 'surveyor's mark' (that I know of), and I think, perhaps, somebody found my cache and 'marked it' themselves for some strange reason. :D

Anybody ever hear of this happening before, or had this happen to them??

Just curious,

Rick

Without seeing the actual "graffitti" ...

It COULD be from the utility company. What was SO distinctive about your cache location that you were compelled to place one there? Perhaps a telephone junction box? Signage for a park? Ranger station, police box or other site requiring telephone service?

There's a spooky satanic symbol near one of Marky's caches in Carmel.

1153112_200.jpg

Judging by the number of DNF's on this cache (including three for me), I'd say it some editorial comment on the difficulty of finding the cache :D

Thats a pentagram, it will protect you from a werewolf, I saw that in and old Lon Chaney Werewolfmovie. :D

1153112_200.jpg

Judging by the number of DNF's on this cache (including three for me), I'd say it some editorial comment on the difficulty of finding the cache  :D

Thats a pentagram, it will protect you from a werewolf, I saw that in and old Lon Chaney Werewolfmovie. :D

Actually, no it won't.

A pentacle (fifth point facing upwards) is the religious symbol used by the wiccan religion. The five points represent the five elements - earth, air, fire, water, spirit - and the circle around them represents how they're all joined to one another.

With that in mind, just as people turn the cross upside down for anti purposes, the pentacle has been turned upside down... When upside down, it's called a pentagram, and is meant as a anti-religion or satanic symbol. (Although, incidentally, in order to be satanic, you must also be christian, since wiccans and most other religious groups don't believe in Satan, nor do they give any such being a name)

The symbol is mainly used in alternative circles...

With that said, Keep us updated on that red white and blue KKK thing... just a thought, but mayhaps you don't want to put a cache in the area? While the pentagram symbol is used more as a symbol for a subculture in america than for it's actual meaning that I just explained, if the people that put that pentagram there aren't just jackasses with spray paint, happy caching families beware....

1153112_200.jpg

Judging by the number of DNF's on this cache (including three for me), I'd say it some editorial comment on the difficulty of finding the cache  :D

Actually, no it won't.

A pentacle (fifth point facing upwards) is the religious symbol used by the wiccan religion. The five points represent the five elements - earth, air, fire, water, spirit - and the circle around them represents how they're all joined to one another.

With that in mind, just as people turn the cross upside down for anti purposes, the pentacle has been turned upside down... When upside down, it's called a pentagram, and is meant as a anti-religion or satanic symbol. (Although, incidentally, in order to be satanic, you must also be christian, since wiccans and most other religious groups don't believe in Satan, nor do they give any such being a name)

With that said, Keep us updated on that red white and blue KKK thing... just a thought, but mayhaps you don't want to put a cache in the area? While the pentagram symbol is used more as a symbol for a subculture in america than for it's actual meaning that I just explained, if the people that put that pentagram there aren't just jackasses with spray paint, happy caching families beware....

I know all that I have one, but it was also used in a Lon Chaney Werewolf movie, as a deterent to a werewolf attack,

the pentacle has been turned upside down... When upside down, it's called a pentagram, and is meant as a anti-religion or satanic symbol.

What does it mean if it's only turned 36 degrees, instead of all the way upside down? :D

(Sorry, I couldn't resist :D )

Hmm... IMO it is some kind of tagging. Perhaps it is some kind of geocacher's tag, to show that a group on individual has found the cache?

If that's the case, how stupid is that?! I hope they stop. Some people take this game way too seriously. They need to jump back into reality and quit with the Dungeons and Dragons crap. :D

Well, somewhat true, somewhat not. The Eastern Star, a philanthropic organization for Masons and their wives, widows, daughters, sisters, etc. (direct relatives), also uses a star. The overly-paranoid crowd would call it "upside down".

Eastern Star

Okay, so today I went back to my cache to photograph the wierd mark. I was hoping there might be something someone had written in the log that might explain it, but there wasn't B) .

Anyway, for those that want to see it:

32262088-725a-028001E0-.jpg

Heres a photo of the wierd 'graffiti'.

32262089-dd2f-028001E0-.jpg

And here's the 'graffiti' with an arrow I added showing my cache (less than 5 feet away).

32262090-3879-028001E0-.jpg

And here's a view from the cache . . . it's out in the 'boondocks'.

Anyway, I'm sure this 'graffiti' is somehow related to the cache location, and I know that my pictures are a definate 'spoiler' for the cache location, but at this point . . . isn't the spray-painted mark next to the cache a definate 'spoiler', too??!!?? B)

Tomorrow, I'll fight back with my trusty can of BLACK spray-paint!! B):D:D

Rick

It may be marking some type of route. Route markers on highways in a stenciled design. It maybe for biker, hikers, or part of some trail.

What ever you do unless you work for the DOT leave it alone!

Its not your highway! Although there is the possiblity of mischief graffiti given the detail and stencil of that thing I would say it serbes a purpose. And to be perfectly honest you are giving yourself too much credit that it has to with your cache. Just leave it alone and look for some more in the area or ask a local.

And besides in the 1 in 1million chances some one want to mark your cache with such a nice stencil they could have at least lined it up with the cache!

Edited by Amazingracer

I just had to laugh when I saw the photo for this post! :D

The cache is question is on the route of the Primavera Century, an organized bicycle ride in the California Bay Area, which starts and ends in Fremont. On these organized bicycle rides, directional arrows are spray painted on the road at various intersections to help the bicyclists find their way on the route. Arrows are also color coded according to the various routes, in this case, 100 mile, 100 km, and 70 km. Since the name of the ride is the Primavera, P's with arrows are used to mark the course.

The person who was spray painting the route arrows was just having fun since I'm guessing this mark is painted (and the cache is) at the top of a big climb and is made to put a big smile on a bunch of bicyclist's faces. :D

Well now I know where to look for the cache when I do the Primavera ride this Sunday!

Thanks for the info!!! I know that road is frequented by you "biker" types, and I had a feeling it might be a waypoint marker for a ride, but still . . . Right Next To My Cache??!!?? :D Feel free to grab the cache on your way! Won't bother me a bit, and be sure to sign the log! :D Thanks for clearing this up!

Rick

the pentacle has been turned upside down... When upside down, it's called a pentagram, and is meant as a anti-religion or satanic symbol.

What does it mean if it's only turned 36 degrees, instead of all the way upside down? :D

(Sorry, I couldn't resist :D )

It means my brain hurts.

Hmm... IMO it is some kind of tagging.  Perhaps it is some kind of geocacher's tag, to show that a group on individual has found the cache?

If that's the case, how stupid is that?! I hope they stop. Some people take this game way too seriously. They need to jump back into reality and quit with the Dungeons and Dragons crap. :D

Nothing to do with and nothing wrong with Dungeons & Dragons..... :D

But yes, everyone should follow Sgt. Hulkas advice. B)

The cache is question is on the route of the Primavera Century, an organized bicycle ride in the California Bay Area, which starts and ends in Fremont.

Hey, I did that Century once! I was living in the Bay Area for a few months while training for a company out there. That is a most excellent biking road. There weren't ANY caches around when I was out there. Now....

-WR

There ya go! Problem solved! Put down the black spray paint and step away from the route marker!

Like I said, you gave yourself too much credit there bud.

Bykenut good luck on your ride!

I don't think he was giving himself too much credit. I too would have been kinda freaked out about it. I mean, come on, what are the odds it happen to be placed right next to his cache??!! That's pretty wild.

On these organized bicycle rides, directional arrows are spray painted on the road at various intersections to help the bicyclists find their way on the route. Arrows are also color coded according to the various routes, in this case, 100 mile, 100 km, and 70 km. Since the name of the ride is the Primavera, P's with arrows are used to mark the course.

Don't they have Dan Henry's out there?

Jamie

What interests me about this is that it shows how easily myths and legends can start up. The diagram is essentially nothing like the actual mark. Note how turning the Ps into Ks and spacing them unevenly brought up the KKK conversation. The missing arrows on the ends removed the 'route marking' aspect, and the less haphazard approach of the diagram made it look more like a secret marker than a bunch of arrows sprayed on the road. For some reason there were only 3 white arrows on the real version - suggesting it was not planned, and they simply ran out of space around their circle.

You have to wonder how many times this has happened throughout history, with things which are far more 'important'.

Well... I found it interesting, anyway.

I have ridden in two century rides in western New York. We had two different routes, a 25 mi. loop and a 100 mi. loop. We used Dan Henry's for our road markers with permission from the townships we rode in. They are simpler road markings that the red, white and blue logo shown above.