Ique 3600 Garmin Question

I have a Garmin iQue3600 and the software that came with it to hot sync it to my computer is gone. I didnt know it was lost till my computer crashed and I went to reload it. It is called Palm Desktop. I guess version 5? Can I borrow it from another Garmijn iQue 3600 owner and install it? Can it be downloaded anywhere? Garmin does not have on there web site in the download area away to get the software to sync the PDA to tthe computer. I contacted Garmin and there reply is that they can send software but this is a first, they show NO part number for the hotsync software that came with the iQue3600. I contacted Palm OS at there web site and tried to maybe get something from them for free that will work, so far I found nothing.

If I ask fror someone to send me a copy of their drivers and hotsync software that runs the Garmin\PDA is that illegal? Im disgusted. Can anyone help?

Edited by RockyRiver
Take everything I say knowing I don't own an iQue. The Palm Desktop I'd imagine is generic and it lists it as downloadable here - http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/garnet.html

I see nothing on this page to down load, it looks like info only.

The links on the left take you to http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/win_desktop.html

All references I can find are to 4.1.

Garmin support is pretty good - did you call them up?

Edited by Team DEMP

The iQue uses a special version of the palm desktop software, a standard palm version will not work. Garmin should be able to provide you with a new set-up disk. I have read many accounts of them replacing bad disks, so they are available. If you don't have any luck with them, if you have access to a freinds disk just burn a copy. Hopefully you did not lose your City Select software as well, as that has to be unlocked to use. There is no copywrite violation in burning the set-up disk, as you did pay for a copy when you bought the iQue.

Edited by MoDean and Tanner
The iQue uses a special version of the palm desktop software, a standard palm version will not work. Garmin should be able to provide you with a new set-up disk. I have read many accounts of them replacing bad disks, so they are available. If you don't have any luck with them, if you have access to a freinds disk just burn a copy. Hopefully you did not lose your City Select software as well, as that has to be unlocked to use. There is no copywrite violation in burning the set-up disk, as you did pay for a copy when you bought the iQue.

I have the city select software just not the palm desktop. Thanks for the info. I found a friend with a copy of the desktop a little bit ago. :D

:D

That is a pain when that happens. I had a lost set up disk for my new iQue as well, but Garmin airfreighted one up to me here (in Canada) in two days.

I tried 9 ways to Sunday to make mine work without the disk. Either I am not good at computers or it just does not work without the driver that is only available on the disk. The desktop worked, the PDA and GPS worked but it would not link without the driver.

Give them a call, they are really good for helping out in situations like this. Likely they will just mail you a new one. It is good to have the original one, so just ask them.

You beat me to this post. I have an iQue and, yes, it's a specfic version to the iQue. The Palm Desktop for the iQue handles the map selection, loading and transfer. This will be unique to the iQue.

Thanks to all who helped. I have the problem resolved, and Im using my ique now.

I have had the ique for a little while and never used it or realized how important a tool it was. Now that I have started using it I love it. I think its one of the best GPS on the market other than battery life is horrible and its a fragile piece of merchandise that if dropped I would say it would be history.

I think its one of the best GPS on the market other than battery life is horrible and its a fragile piece of merchandise that if dropped I would say it would be history.

Some battery-life hints:

In bright outdoors and full sun, turn off the backlight. It does little more than drain power in that situation.

In areas with good signal, go into the GPS preferrences screen and turn "Power Save" on and "WAAS Enable" off. This changes the position update from 1 sec. to 5 secs.

Both of these will extend your runtime out several hours on the internal battery (2 1/2 hours worth of field time drained my battery about 1/3 of a full charge). If you're going to be using the unit in GPS mode for an extended period without charging, look at an external battery pack. There are a few low-profile versions that can be loaded with lithium rechargeables and are fairly inexpensive.

Agreed that it is much more fragile, though. :huh: I'd definitely consider a Pelican 1040 case with foam liner for storage on any long-term trip, and won't be using mine in any sort of inclement weather.