Help With Sv1086

Cadence

SV1086

This is my third benchmark I've looked for, thanks for any help you can give.

My wife and I spent an hour or so locating this one, and have not yet found the actual rod. We found a witness post without sign on it, bent over near where it should be.

There was new construction, at least newer than 1981. In order to have a driveway the land owner had to bring in dirt. I may need to look under the fill a bit, but no more than a foot or two.

The coordinates given were off by more than a tenth of a mile, that made it really interesting. More accurate coords were N 47 37.717 W 117 26.457

Some questions...

1. I know coords are not exact, and should be used more for a good parking space than the actual location, but how often do you find they're REALLY off?

2. Anyone in Spokane, WA with a metal detector? I'm thinking that it would be the fastest way to find and point-dig for this one.

3. How much effort would YOU go through to recover this mark.

I'm estimating that the rod is within 3 feet of the post, which wouldn't put the mark too far into the driveway. Probably no heavy machinery required, at most maybe a posthole digger.

thanks!

T.

Edited by Cadence

According to the NGS datasheet it was recovered (found) in sept of 2002. It is listed as 0.6M (2 ft) from the post. The coordinates are scaled +/- 6 seconds or 0.100 minutes lat and/or long (+/- 600 ft). Your coordinates are +/- 9 second Lat. and +/- 2 seconds Long. within mapping scales.

I cannot see anywhere on the datasheet for SV1086 that it was found any later than 1981. Where did you see that?

Go to the latest data sheets at http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/. The data sheets on geocaching.com are not the latest up-to-date.

SV1086 STATION DESCRIPTION

SV1086

SV1086'DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1981

SV1086'5.0 KM (3.15 MI) SW FROM SPOKANE.

SV1086'2.4 KM (1.5 MILES) SOUTHWEST ALONG THE BURLINGTON NORTHERN

SV1086'RAILROAD FROM THE STATION AT SPOKANE, THENCE 2.6 KM (1.65

SV1086'MILES) SOUTH ALONG THE INLAND EMPIRE ROAD, ABOUT 100 FEET

SV1086'NORTH OF THE NORTH END OF A 0.1 MILE LAND FILL, 0.8 METER

SV1086'(2.5 FEET) NORTH OF THE 2ND UTILITY POLE SOUTH OF THE

SV1086'INTERSECTION OF 28TH AVENUE, 11.9 METERS (39.0 FEET) WEST

SV1086'OF THE CENTERLINE OF THE ROAD, 58.6 METERS (192.0 FEET)

SV1086'SOUTH OF THE CENTERLINE OF THE AVENUE.

SV1086'THE MARK IS 0.60 METERS S FROM A WITNESS POST.

SV1086'THE MARK IS ABOVE LEVEL WITH THE ROAD.

SV1086

SV1086 STATION RECOVERY (2002)

SV1086

SV1086'RECOVERY NOTE BY SPOKANE COUNTY WASHINGTON 2002 (JM)

SV1086'MARK IS SOUTH EAST OF 2804 EMPIRE WAY. POST IS STILL BY MARK BUT SIGN

SV1086'IS MISSING. MARK IS GOOD FOR GPS. CONTACT SPOKANE COUNTY ENGINEERING

SV1086'FOR GPS INFORMATION.

Cadence -

Regarding your questions (at least two of them) -

If the location is defined by SCALED coordinates, my handheld generally indicates a deviation of 50 - 150 feet. In one case, however, the discrepancy was 0.35 miles, and in another, 0.50 (yes, one-half) miles. If the location is defined by ADJUSTED coordinates, my handheld generally gets me to within five feet (after two or three walk-bys).

How much time would I spend looking for this mark? Depends on the environment. I don't like to do any digging on private residence property and I don't like to do much digging along busy roads or on private property, even if it is not close to a private residence. In these cases I may take a few minutes to poke around with my weed tool, but may go no further. If the mark is on a road right-of-way out in the boondocks and I am confident about its location (found the witness post reliably, etc.), I'll get the shovel and metal detector out and spend up to 30 minutes digging around.

Sometimes, when I can't find a mark I get the sense that I'm just not going to find it, so I move on to the next one after a few minutes. Other times, I'll get the sense that the ##!!@** thing is there somewhere, and I'll spend 30 minutes or so (not counting hike-to time). I don't have the attention span to spend more than 30 minutes actually searching for a mark.