Geocaching On Gameboy!

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on a Gameboy. I had two as a teenager, and both only lasted about 4 months and the screens went bad. I took it for service, but it cost more to put a new screen in than it did to just buy a new game boy.

My boy is 3 now and will be 4 in August, but when he turns 7 or 8, I'm going to get him the latest gecko or what ever is available along those lines.

Even at 3, he loves caching.

Edited by WVDan

Just to add, the new Gameboy Advance SP is amazing. They finally nailed what a portable gaming system should be. I had the first GB advance, and the newer SP is definitely worth the little extra. The backlight is great, as is the rechargeable battery which lasts a long time, even with the backlight on all the time.

Nintendo has definitely come a long way from the original game boys.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on a Gameboy. I had two as a teenager, and both only lasted about 4 months and the screens went bad. I took it for service, but it cost more to put a new screen in than it did to just buy a new game boy.

My boy is 3 now and will be 4 in August, but when he turns 7 or 8, I'm going to get him the latest gecko or what ever is available along those lines.

my son is 22 and still has the gameboy i gave him more than 10 years ago.

I agree with colonelby, this will influence the next generation of cachers.

The company is Red Sky. It's definitely an interesting new use of the GameBoy system. I would think since the GameBoy SP has the cartridge inserted into the bottom of the device that it would work better with the GameBoy Advance.

They have a section on GPS Gaming, but it's pretty much marketing hype.

You can play movies and music with the GameBoy, and the interface is pretty well documented. The latest Dr. Dobbs Journal discusses ways you can hack the GameBoy Advance.

Personally, I would prefer a bluetooth attachment over a specific device for your GameBoy. That would allow all kinds of interfaces.

The Gameboy SP is out of date and overpriced. (cool as it is). When I can get a Game Cube (I got an Xbox instead) for 99 bucks and a GameBoy SP for the same price I really have to wonder.

Nokias gizmo is overpriced but at least it should slap Nintendo up side the head and wake them up.

Jeremy's bluetooth idea is a good one.

The Gameboy SP is out of date and overpriced. (cool as it is). When I can get a Game Cube (I got an Xbox instead) for 99 bucks and a GameBoy SP for the same price I really have to wonder.

I don't agree. They aren't the same thing.

Comparatively, you can buy an Apex DVD player for $50. Where a portable DVD player is near $1000.

One has a screen and is battery operated. The other has to be connected to a video system.

You're paying for portability.

I recently purchased a GameCube as well. My first console in YEARS! I found out that I really missed being able to play video games. Anyway, the price of a GameCube compared to what else is out there is great.

I want a game console to PLAY VIDEO GAMES. I already have a DVD player, etc. etc. I didn't feel like paying extra for features that are redundant. I have been impressed with the games available on GameCube, and the gameplay, graphics, etc. are great. While many of the games may be more "family" oriented, many of the games have the coveted BLOOD AND GORE AND GUNS!

100 bucks for a Gameboy SP is a decent and reasonable price, considering what else is out there. 100 bucks for a GameCube is a great price. Also, if you have both, you can have some extra fun with certain games by linking the Gameboy and the GameCube together.

While I personally do like the PS2 better than the GameCube, for the money, the GameCube can't be beat.

Nokias gizmo is INSANELY overpriced and I don't really see what the big deal is. A "gameboy" and a cell phone in one. It sounds like a PDA and a GPS in one! While it's a cool idea, I'd rather not have to carry my gamesystem everywhere, just so I can have a telephone. I'd rather have my GPS with me, but if I don't want my PDA, I would rather not have to sacrifice durability.

Overall, electronics are great. I like them all! :D I think it gets a little crazy though, trying to make everything the smallest, and cramming 8 devices into one.

Just to add, what is "out of date"? It all comes down to fun factor. Original Nintendos are still a lot of fun to play, and those are definitely out of date! Sometimes the "newest" and "best" isnt necessarily the "newest" or the "best".

Edited by SBPhishy

I thought you where talking about a Goecaching video game. Dunno how well that would go over. i guess it would be good for people up north when it snows. I would buy the game though because I am a kid at heart. I think people would only buy the gps attachment if they found about geocaching and if it is cheaper than a reg gps. Gameboys have allways been very reliable for me. None have died on me yet.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on a Gameboy.  I had two as a teenager, and both only lasted about 4 months and the screens went bad.  I took it for service, but it cost more to put a new screen in than it did to just buy a new game boy. 

my son is 22 and still has the gameboy i gave him more than 10 years ago.

I agree with colonelby, this will influence the next generation of cachers.

My son would love to know he could use his GB Adv. for caching. He got it when the one I purchased well over 10 years ago recently quite. Neat thing I did not know and he showed me was all the old cartridges work in the new system. :D

Just a thought, a low to mid range gps is $200-300...

Gameboy with attatchment wouldn't be more than $150...

might be a nice option for some people..

Or for parents whos kids want gpsrs but the parents can't afford them for the kids and the kids already have the gameboys....

and not a word about prices on ebay, some of us can't stand that site.

Gameboy with attatchment wouldn't be more than $150...

Well... Unfortunately, it seems like it will be a bit more. On the RedSky website, it says:

Pre-Order and Save! Regularly $249 US, now $199 US.

Limited time only.

So, it seems it will be 250 when it comes out. That's pretty expensive.

...and I'm a sucker who carries around a GPS, a PDA and a GBA-SP? Geez! My backpacking crewbies might consider it cheating to bring them all along, but... that's a boatload of entertainment and usefulness in less than a pound :lol:

Obviously, I like my toys. I don't know if I'd buy a GPS attatchment for my GBA... I'd rather have one on my PDA (higher res screen) plus I can run software like Delorme Handheld (which can load maps from other Delorme software), and memory for a PDA is a lot less expensive than Flash Carts for GBA.

But, I am a big-time GBA fan. They are amazing devices. The internal battery has really good life, the screen is really crisp. You can emulate original NES games almost perfectly on it, you can even develop your own applications for it. Some people even use their GBA as a psuedo-pda by using "pogo shell" which is a small OS for GBA, you can read text docs, view pictures, etc. There's also other attatchments for GBA such a digital camera.

Keep in mind that the GBA-SP is no Xbox, PS2 or Gamecube. It is constrained by it's form factor to what is essentially a glorified 486 PC (NOT an intel processor). That's just a comparison of basic computing power. It does what it does very well and is a LOT of fun - but don't expect true 3D grpahics. Many of the games are 2D slide levels or overhead or 3/4 views, much like Ultima 5, 6 & 7.

But oh is it great fun. The only down side is the games are expensive (well, less expensive that a home console, but I'm a cheap kinda guy.)

If you decide to go with it, research each game you are interested in. Some look like a lot of fun (and are - Activision Atari 2600 gamepak) but some are absolutely rancid, despite the packaging and pretty graphics.

...some good info about GBA carts and accessories (not about the GPS at the moment....)

http://www.gameboy-advance.net/

edit: agreed, it is not a fullsize console this generation console (xbox/ps2/gcn), but.. for those who grew up with NES and SNES... it's like carrying one of those systems in your pocket, which imho, is a blast.

Edited by protocoldroid
I'm a "part-time" old video game collector. I have 100 NES games and 60 SNES games and a whole bunch of atari, intellivision stuff. I'm told that the GBA is closely related to the SNES. Is that true?

SNES vs GBA Specs

http://www.gameboy-advance.net/emulated/snes_roms_on_gba.htm

SNES ---------------------------- GBA

16bit 3.58 mhz ------------------ 32 Bit, 16.7 mhz RISC

128k ram ------------------------ 256k ram

....and it goes on.

Okay, when are we gonna get Geocaching games for PS2, Xbox and so on?

You can choose between a wide range of players, including the organizing Jeremy that has to run back home to fix the servers all the time instead of doing some nice geocaching :lol:

Each player has there one personality, they like also different kind of caches, and have different kind of vehicle.

In the future will it also be possible to play the Geocaching game in a multiplayermode called "Event". :P

The best part with playing a Geocaching videogame? If you fail finding a cache, you can start over from the beginning and avoid all the previous mistakes you did :D