Forum Name Changing

I noticed several users have undergone name changes lately - even writing a disclaimer in their custom text under their avatar.

I suppose when i become a member I'll mark my 100th by slightly modding my name from n00b to not-so-n00b or something.

Have you changed your name, or thought of doing it, and why?

<=curiosity killed me kitty. Curiosity was a Mack truck.

I

V

Edited by New England n00b

from http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=0entry871885

Funny you should ask. :(

I just changed my userid from "mrkablooey" to "robert". :( When I first got here, I got confused with kablooey, and even now, I still get questions as to whether or not we're the same person. I once even got an email from someone talking to him about something, I had to politely point them in the right direction.

It's not a big deal... but I wanted to go with something that is a lot more unique, so I picked "robert".  Lucky for me it was available! It'll probably cause more confusion now, but I'm an officer in the local club so I see and talk to most all the cachers in the area anyway so I can take care of it that way. That combined with being a blabber-mouth here in the forums should help out some. I've got 261 (4 are still unlogged for a reason) logbooks out there that say "mrkablooey", though.  :(

I guess what I'm trying to say is make a decision.... if you are bothered by it, then change your userid (you can do that in your profile without starting a new account and losing your stats). If not, don't worry about it. Let us know if you have any questions.  :blink:

When we started geocaching, we chose the name TresOkies because there were three of us. Tres = Three in Spanish. Then we were blessed with a daughter last summer. I realized that our handle doesn't scale very well.

By the time Beau was born, we were pretty well entrenched with our user name. I proposed to the local geocachers that we would accept suggestions for a new handle. One of the ladies suggested that instead of using the Spanish definition of Tres, to use French. Tres means 'very' in French. We liked the sound of that.

My wife and I, both being programmers, decided on a slight change. We added the symbol '++' to our handle. In several of the popular programming languages, placing '++' after a name means to 'add one to whatever value is already there'. I tell people that the '++' is silent.

Maybe you could change your name to a symbol, like the artist formerly known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince. :(

-E

Maybe you could change your name to a symbol, like the artist formerly known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince. :(

Be aware, though, that names with symbols (even seemingly innocuous ones like & or ^) sometimes prevent you from using all the features of this site (like PMs, for example).

At the beginning of time, well my geocaching time anyway, I had another name. A name chosen in haste and not as well suited to me as my current tag. I changed names very early in my caching life and haven't looked back. But I suspect others have done the same for similar reasons.

I started with the name JC364, which is my AOL screen name. Then a local cacher Hawk-eye hung the name of El Diablo on me. It's probably not the most respected name one could have, but I try to set it off with a friendly avatar and I try to be nice to people so they will forgive the name.

El Diablo

I'd change my name to Stakesauce, which is my usual Quake (now Xbox Live) name, but I doubt I would be taken as seriously.

That's ok, Jeremy (aka Stakesauce), I doubt many people here take you seriously, anyway! :D

I've always been Sparky, or some variation thereof, since I became addicted to the internet. Although, at one point when I was a moderator of sorts for MSN, I became Warky-Spatts for a time, and also Spatty-Warts. Think I'll stick with Sparky a while longer. :D

EDIT: spelling....twice, dang it! :D

Edited by Sparky-Watts

I never change my ID. Almost anywhere in gaming or on the web (most aren't google-able) where you see "ju66l3r", it's me. I want simplicity and recognizability, so a single ID works best. "juggler" is almost always taken, "ju66l3r" is never taken (mainly because it's not *full* leet-speak). So if my ID has changed, it has been hacked.

I changed my AvatarNick (it's what I call it) because non-paying members were just given the ability with the new My Cache Page and "Geocacher" is just boring.

Be aware, though, that names with symbols (even seemingly innocuous ones like & or ^) sometimes prevent you from using all the features of this site (like PMs, for example).

So far, I haven't had any problem with the ++. I've received PMs from others. Feel free to try me if you'd like.

I never change my ID.  Almost anywhere in gaming or on the web (most aren't google-able) where you see "ju66l3r", it's me.  I want simplicity and recognizability, so a single ID works best.  "juggler" is almost always taken, "ju66l3r" is never taken (mainly because it's not *full* leet-speak).

Geocaching was the first place I/we used TresOkies. Since geocaching, I've almost always signed up at forums and other web sites using that handle. Various programming sites, Yahoo!, MG cars, etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person using that combination of words, but you never know when someone else will decide to mess with me by pretending to be me elsewhere. I wrote the program called GeoBuddy that used to be popular with the GPS crowd. One day, some joker created a handle on geocaching.com named GeoBuddy and he turned out to be a troll/a**h**e.

Hmmm. 7re$0k13s doesn't quite work. The humor is in the play on words

Dos Equis --> Dos Okies --> TresOkies. That's how it started.

This got me to thinking about my given name--Eric Cloninger. Not exactly common compared to 'Brian Smith' or 'Samuel Adams'. According to some web site I once visited, 'Cloninger' is the 8700th (or so) most common surname in the US. I was stunned a few years ago when I found out there was another 'Eric'. He lives in Houston and I lived in Austin for years. Never knew about him. I find myself in Houston occasionally and I'm always tempted to go find 'the other Eric'. If only to shake his hand and buy him a Samuel Adams.

-E

I changed from my original name "OldNavyCacheFinders" to "JonAdams" and then "K-9CacheSeekers" when I noticed my dog would probably be finding more caches than me. But I noticed that that was too long so I changed to "K-9Cacher," and then, most recently "TeamK-9."

I did all the name changes just within my first few weeks of being a member, and I never found a cache under my other aliases, I've only ever found and logged caches under "TeamK-9"

I changed my AvatarNick (it's what I call it) because non-paying members were just given the ability with the new My Cache Page and "Geocacher" is just boring.

Sorry to break it to you....but I changed my AvatarNick to the current one shortly after I joined....it's been a little known bug in the system since at least December that non-members could change that feature. :D

This got me to thinking about my given name--Eric Cloninger. Not exactly common compared to 'Brian Smith' or 'Samuel Adams'. According to some web site I once visited, 'Cloninger' is the 8700th (or so) most common surname in the US. I was stunned a few years ago when I found out there was another 'Eric'. He lives in Houston and I lived in Austin for years. Never knew about him. I find myself in Houston occasionally and I'm always tempted to go find 'the other Eric'. If only to shake his hand and buy him a Samuel Adams.

-E

I've also got the moniker "Eric", although my last name and it's spelling isn't quite as well known in the states, it's just like "Smith" is here when you go to Germany. There is one person that will come up with a google search with my name, and he is the CEO of a very popular magazine.

I used my email handle (FriarED) for the first few weeks of geocaching, but changed it once we learned of a saxophone trip to China (that has since been postponed to 2005 or 2006). The wife will be learning how to play the sax (she plays trombone now) so we chose the name "Team Globally Positioned Saxophones" or "Team GPSaxophone" for short.

Back in the dark ages of geocaching (pre-2002), I seem to remember an issue with changing your user name and losing your cache stats. I'm guessing that has since been resolved. Or maybe I'm just mucking up a couple of unrelated issues?!? :D

Back when the stats site was Dan's that could happen. Now the site is gone and with it any worries about losing your stats.

I don't know if the regional stats sites have the same issue or not.

I started with the boring lastname-first-and-middle-initial username to start. It lasted about a week when I changed it to something more interesting, like "Cheesehead Dave". Since other family members don't have their own accounts, I changed it again to Team Cheesehead, got tired of the "Team" part and changed it again to what it is now since there's more than just me (even if I do find most of the caches myself...)

Edited by The Cheeseheads

My wife, who is known as "Balboagirl" elsewhere on the web (she lived on Balboa Island, Orange County, California for a number of years) found out about geocaching, bought the GPSr, and took us on our first adventure. Since then, she has become somewhat disenchanted with geocaching, probably because I like it too much. I hope to include her tomorrow for our hoped-for 100th find. We'll see.

So I suppose I should change my user name. For some reason, I feel disinclined to do so.

I used my email handle (FriarED) for the first few weeks of geocaching, but changed it once we learned of a saxophone trip to China (that has since been postponed to 2005 or 2006). The wife will be learning how to play the sax (she plays trombone now) so we chose the name "Team Globally Positioned Saxophones" or "Team GPSaxophone" for short.

:o That has to be one of the most honest replies I've heard in a while!!!

Funny how a job or other endeavor can change your persona.

I guess I have stuck with my username since it is too much trouble to create another.

I have been Johnnie Stalkers since the beginning of my cache career. For one wild and poorly recollected weekend in New Orleans I was Joannie Stalkers, but that is a different story for a different place and time.

I was considering changing and had my choices narrowed down to three: Subigo, Ringbone or Upinyachit. Ironically those 3 names where taken by others before I could choose one. So fo rnow I'll stay JS. How else could I be "On the Rocks" or "On the spot"?

I didn't do a name change and don't intend to, but I did do an avatar change only once... from the geographical feature that my namesake is, to the avatar that you see today.

A Nic generally has meanings on the surface. I figure an avatar should properly identify your personality type. Now what you have to figure is am I tinkering with the mind, or am I the result of the tinkering? :o:D:D