Some "people" Should Just Keep Their Mouths Shut..

Team MJDJ

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=50338

(Sparky-Watts @ Apr 11 2004, 08:17 PM)

Ok...just finished reading more Canadian threads, and I've decided it wasn't the eggs afterall...

This, from the same individual who on THIS page claims that we are "...member of a worldwide family of geocachers..."

and who encourages those with "nagging, burning questions, come to the "Getting Started" forum to ask..."

not to mention that he claims that "The forums are informative and entertaining; they provide a medium for the community, and often a great sense of comradery..."

Just a wee bit hypocritical, no? I'm glad and PROUD to be Canadian.

Your comments and your attitude are typical of your type; you preach of humility and community, then do whatever you can to undermine those whom you are the most envious of.

You should apologize or keep your mouth shut...or preferrably BOTH.

Edited by Team MJDJ

1) I don't get the eggs reference

2) A PM or email might have been a better place for this - if your argument held/holds water with him he could have edited his note with an appropriate apology, having been gently nudged in the right direction. Especially if it was a personal attack on an individual, rather than a broad swipe at Canadians.

JMO

Edit - read original thread - I'm pretty sure he was joking with them, and fully expecting a good-natured ribbing in return. My suggestion for a PM doesn't really change, though...

Edited by New England n00b

Not to mention this factual error, "Jeremy Irish, the founder of Geocaching..." missing the "dot com" as plenty of us know geocaching and geocaching.com are not the one and same.

I can see it now. People will be pointing to this and using it as historical fact. :(

Some "people" should learn to deal with things quietly. Use the PM feature, reply in the thread, or report it to the moderator, whichever one you feel is appropriate. But starting a new thread to complain about the contents of the other thread publicly is really not appropriate in this case, especially since the thread in question moved locations (repeatedly?) and since the comments in question were started by a poster other than the one you're complaining about.

The fact that you're ignoring Team GPSaxophone's jab and responding to Sparky's tells me that this is something personal you have against him. I don't know what the reason for that is, but there are better ways to deal with it than a new thread.

The fact that you're ignoring Team GPSaxophone's jab and responding to Sparky's tells me that this is something personal you have against him. I don't know what the reason for that is, but there are better ways to deal with it than a new thread.

I believe Sparky was responding to my jab at Zuuk. It is a well known fact the the "Canadian Crowd" or Canadazuuk, jomarac5, RobertM, and Zorak had some very vocal discussions in the past. Those have quieted down considerably after Jomarac's ban and Zuuk's temporary abstension from the forums.

In my post in the other thread, I felt Zuuk would know that I was referring to that group and take it for the joke it was. I put a smiley at the end just to make sure. You seem to have misinterpreted my statement and are taking it out of context with this thread. I have nothing against Canadians. Ask Halden, we joke around all the time.

Some "people" should learn to deal with things quietly. Use the PM feature, reply in the thread, or report it to the moderator, whichever one you feel is appropriate. But starting a new thread to complain about the contents of the other thread publicly is really not appropriate in this case, especially since the thread in question moved locations (repeatedly?) and since the comments in question were started by a poster other than the one you're complaining about.

Can't help wondering why nothing was said to the ORIGINAL offender?

Is it OK to take cheap shots, but not OK to respond?

I didn't respond to Sax's remarks because I have seen his/her posts in the past and, as he stated, he "kids around all the time".

Sparky's remarks were uncalled for, plain and simple. I have noticed that the resident "Geocaching ambassador" resorts to this sort of behaviour on more than one occassion.

I was simply pointing out that his actions certainly contradict his words; but again, I see that NOTHING is said to or about the offender...sad!

To defend him is to endorse him...I don't think you really want to do that, do you?

I am not a moderator in this forum, but since the topic doesn't belong in the forum for discussing changes to the geocaching.com website, I will post anyways.

It is OK to hold an opinion that the many squabblings amongst a small group of Canadian geocachers, which oftentimes historically spilled over into the general worldwide forums, could be detrimental to one's forum browsing experience.

It is OK to hold an opinion that a small group of forum community members who like to post a *lot* can be detrimental to one's forum browsing experience.

Both of these groups, the Canadian squabblers and the Frequent Fliers, are entitled to express their opinions so long as they abide by the posted Forum Conduct Guidelines. The same is true of anyone else that you'd like to label as a group, be it the "website reform group" or the "frog kisser group" or the "anti-micro group."

Those who do not enjoy reading posts from the Canadian squabblers or the Frequent Fliers or any other group are also entitled to express their opinions, but are likewise subject to the Forum Guidelines.

In each case, care should be taken to discuss and constructively criticize the opinion being stated, rather than attacking the person who holds that opinion.

Applying these guidelines to the matters complained of in this topic, I do not see that Sparky Watts' post constituted a personal attack on an individual geocacher or group of geocachers. He stated in a roundabout lighthearted way that past posts by the Canadian squabblers did not make him a happy forum community member.

Likewise, the rebuttal post about American geocachers by Canadian geocacher Gorak did not, in this moderator's humble opinion, constitute a personal attack against Sparky Watts or American geocachers generally. It was fair return fire in an exchange which ought to have remained lighthearted.

In contrast, I believe that the origination of *this* topic was improper. If you are troubled by a post or by the actions of a community member, and are unable to resolve them privately with that community member, then please use the "report this post" feature to involve a moderator.

Let's try not to take everything so seriously. It's an internet forum to support an outdoors activity. Thanks.

:(NM