Serious Question

Serious question, not knowing if it was brought up in the past: I was owner of a cache and had a fellow cacher adopt it because I am moving out of the area. Am I allowed to claim this as a find? If so, how (how would I log it on gc.com?)? I looked at caches in my local area and it shows that I have not found it. I know I could not log it as a find before because I was the owner. Now that I am not the owner, may I log it?

At a minimum I think you should go back and visit it and sign the physical log. Then it could be a legitimate find. I don't think you should log it without visiting it again.

Edit: How many long time cachers haven't discussed a cache with another cacher and then gone and found the cache or gone with a group of people. You don't actually have to be the one to find it to log it. Generally its excepted that if you sign the log that you can credit the find.

Edited by JeepCachr
um, excuse me, ....

Is it THAT dang important to rack up another cache number? Perhaps you should just relax and enjoy the experience more.

It's just one that is close to home and I have logged it twice due to cache maintainence. It is not all about the numbers, but I have not seen this topic before and I was just curious since I am moving and had someone adopt it. I wanted to see how this was handled.

um, excuse me, ....

Is it THAT dang important to rack up another cache number? Perhaps you should just relax and enjoy the experience more.

It's just one that is close to home and I have logged it twice due to cache maintainence. It is not all about the numbers, but I have not seen this topic before and I was just curious since I am moving and had someone adopt it. I wanted to see how this was handled.

Well, you have MY permission to log it. You also have my permission to fetch a big bowl of Rocky Road ice cream and pour on the chocolate sauce.

Go in peace, my child.

If they leave your name on the cache, No.

If they take it over as theirs. Yes.

If you visit it again and 'find it' then there can be no doubt.

Until the official geocaching guide to sportmanlike play comes out, do what you want and don't lose sleep over it. This area is still gray.

Sounds good. I won't log it. Just wanted to be sure. I am a fair guy and have integrity. Just wanted to raise the flag on something like that. Thanks.

It's just one that is close to home and I have logged it twice due to cache maintainence.

Did you mean you logged finds on it twice while doing maintenance? Most people would agree that that is not common practice... you posted notes, right?

If they leave your name on the cache, No.

If they take it over as theirs.  Yes.

If you visit it again and 'find it' then there can be no doubt.

Until the official geocaching guide to sportmanlike play comes out, do what you want and don't lose sleep over it.  This area is still gray.

This sums it up best.

As usual. :(

Did the person that adopted it change their "find" to a "note"? Technically, they own the cache and shouldn't have a find log on it. However, they found it before they adopted it so their find should remain intact.

You hid the cache, so technically, you can't find it since you put it there. Now that you no longer own the cache, you should still get some credit for it. I think posting a find would keep your numbers accurate (1 less hide, but 1 more find). In your find log, you should just put an explanation of why it being logged a find. You have visited the cache (on more than one occasion, even) and are not the owner of the cache. That makes it a find (you did sign the logbook, right?)

I'd feel guilty about logging a find on a cache I hid or helped hide. There may be other circumstances where one can log a find without having found it pristinely (say, you arrive and someone else is there holding the cache), but to go into the hunt with complete foreknowledge that it's under that bush because YOU put it there... c'mon. You can't solve a riddle you wrote yourself.

There seems to be a notion that people want 'credit' for effort, by transforming a hidden stat to a found stat, or logging the spot where the cache used to be because you walked all that way and looked real hard, or logging a find because you replaced a missing cache. Maybe you deserve thanks, or commiserations, or 'originally by Team X' on the adopted cache's page, but I don't think logging an extraneous find is the best solution.

It makes perfect sense for the new owner to retain his 'find' on the cache, though, because he did not own it at the time and presumably did find it. There's nothing questionable about the find's legitimacy.

Here is how I answer such questions for myself.

If your least favorite person did it what would you think?

If it still sounds Okay go ahead.

I wouldn't log it, period. There is a cache very close to my house that I helped hide. It will forever remain on the top of my filtered finds list. That is unless the "ignore this cache" check box is implimented.

Edit: typo

Edited by rusty_tlc
Did the person that adopted it change their "find" to a "note"? Technically, they own the cache and shouldn't have a find log on it. However, they found it before they adopted it so their find should remain intact.

You hid the cache, so technically, you can't find it since you put it there.

I think the point is the spirit of what constitutes a find. The premise of geocaching is for someone to publish the coordinates of the cache, for others to find it. Since the new owner made his find before he adopted the cache, there is no reason for him to change his log to a note, as he made a legitimate find on another person's cache. He might want to add a footnote to avoid any questions about his log, but that's it.

The story is the opposite for the former owner. He hid the cache and knows exactly where it is. It's no longer his cache, but its now similar to caches where one geocacher helps another hide a cache. Most of us wouldn't consider logging that cache as a find and this is similar. The old owner never searched for the cache. Without a search, there is logically no way to claim a find.

The numbers issue is moot, becasuse we all know its about the hunt, not the numbers and in this case there was no hunt.

Edited by briansnat

We've got one near us that we hid as part of a cache exchange event. We don't own it but we hid it. The new owner even put in a redirector, but since we know where the final is we haven't logged a find. We even went out to find the redirector just for fun, but still haven't logged a find. It’s annoying to have a cache so close to home that we can’t find. :( Too bad we don't have a half smiley!

You hid the cache, so technically, you can't find it since you put it there. Now that you no longer own the cache, you should still get some credit for it. I think posting a find would keep your numbers accurate (1 less hide, but 1 more find). In your find log, you should just put an explanation of why it being logged a find. You have visited the cache (on more than one occasion, even) and are not the owner of the cache. That makes it a find (you did sign the logbook, right?)

I'm actually with Saxy on this. I understand all the arguments on this, But I still feel strongly about this.

Geocaching.com only gives you two alternitives on your profiling site. Found or Hid. If a cache shows up neither on your found or hid statistics, where is it? In limbo? It has no place for you. I figure, if it is not recognized as a hide by geocaching.com, you chould be able to catagorize it as a find, and vice/versa. It is the only way to recognize the cache on your profile.

Geocaching.com only gives you two alternitives on your profiling site. Found or Hid. If a cache shows up neither on your found or hid statistics, where is it? In limbo? It has no place for you. I figure, if it is not recognized as a hide by geocaching.com, you chould be able to catagorize it as a find, and vice/versa. It is the only way to recognize the cache on your profile.

Why does he have to account for anything? I thought it was about the hunt, not the numbers.

Why does he have to account for anything? I thought it was about the hunt, not the numbers.

Then why adopt caches? Just have the old one archived and have the person that was going to adopt just place one in the same spot. The old owner can then go out and actually find it since he didn't place it there.

A person should be able to have credit for a cache whether placed or found, adopted or or adopted out. The only real question is how to account for it?

If you could adopt the cache out and still retain a credit of ownership that would solve the problem. Since the system doesn't work like that you have to improvise with what we have to work with. Hence the debate.

You shouldn't be logging your own caches . . . that's just silly. You placed it . . . so how can you FIND it?? Youn know where it's at. Where's the fun in that?

If your maintaining the cache, then you shouldn't be logging it as a find but a note.

:D

That is my opinion . . . such as it is.

Happy caching and stuff! :D

When it comes to your profile page, it doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you had fun, who really did what, or even NUMBERS. It has to do with everything having it's place. I'm kinda weird that way. Since the system does not allow for these certain potentialities, this is the best way I can see to make everything match up.