Temporary Caches

Having now archived half of my caches that I have placed and having had a micro that turned into a VC, I am beginning to wonder what the deal is? One of my caches is almost 2 years old, and others go bye-bye in a month. The caches appear to be stolen as they are nowhere in sight, and no materials from the caches are strewn about like you would see if some animal tore it up. Really bummed. Wonder if I shouldn't start placing caches with the idea that they would all get archived after, say, Nov 15th each year. :(

Do others in your area have a similar problem? If not, maybe you ticked someone off and he is going after your caches. If others have the problem, maybe there is a cache theif operating in your area. Most of us have lost a cache or two, but to lose half, there seems to be other factors involved than just bad luck.

Edited by briansnat

Just a thought, but you could do everything needed to get a cache approved except for waiting about 2 or 3 weeks to actually place the cache. Then sit back and see who complains the loudest about the cache being missing. Or who gets hostile about not finding the cache.

Or you could use degraded coordinates so people have to hunt more for the caches.

You might leave all your caches where they are and just archive them for a month or so.

Just a few thoughts.

That's a real bummer to lose so many of your caches.

Good luck,

John

Or who gets hostile about not finding the cache.

I think that might be most people who went looking for a cache that wasn't there.

I believe most people would log a DNF and possibly e-mail the owner that the cache was missing, but they wouldn't get hostile over it.

Since so many of his caches have gone 'awol' the locals would just think another one was gone.

John

I believe most people would log a DNF and possibly e-mail the owner that the cache was missing, but they wouldn't get hostile over it.

Since so many of his caches have gone 'awol' the locals would just think another one was gone.

I don't get angry over DNF's but I sure would if I found out the owner listed a cache that wasn't there and sent me on a wild goose chase.

MOC's may help. But here is another idea to use temporarily. Why not make make the caches multis, where the first waypoint is actually an answer the cacher will have to come up with before they go out and hunt the cache. They email you the answer and you send them the coords to the cache. Yes, it adds some inconvenience, but it preserves your cache locations that you may be fond of. Archiving your caches means that another cacher will likely fill the spot with another cache in the near future.

Edited by Navdog

bigredmed :There may be a local problem starting up. Brody had a micro removed and the sticker was placed right where the micro used to be. Hoss has had a couple of problems apparently. It might be worth a discussion on one of the local forums. Then again it might be nothing.

I don't get angry over DNF's but I sure would if I found out the owner listed a cache that wasn't there and sent me on a wild goose chase.

Ooooooh! You struck a nerve!

I was SO excited to come across a new cache listing just a few hours before I was to be in the area and was hoping fo a big, fat FTF! Turns out the cache owner posted incorrect co-ords ao she could let one of his/her buddies sang the first. I'd spent over an hour trampling all over this forest looking for the cache that day.

AAARRRGGGGHHHH!