?'s On Setting Up A Multi Stage Cache

GEEPEESEER

Hey all- I'm new to caching, but I'd like to set up a couple caches in my area.. However, one of them I'd like to be fairly complex, taking the cachers all around the city. Here are my questions.

1. Is is uncommon to send a cacher to another waypoint (after discovering the first waypoint )possibly miles away to find the next?

2. I plan for this one to have five parts, each in a different park. It's also my plan to make up small plaques containing the next waypoint and a clue, and hiding those plaques at each of the waypoints. I know that I can enter a waypoint manually on my iQue, but I'm wondering if the more simple models have that capability, IE something like an etrex?

3. Does the geocaching community find it unethical to attach these plaques to known objects (such as the underside of a public footbridge, for example) or to nature (screw the plague to a tree?)

Thanks for your help in advance.

What you're describing is a Multicache, a very popular and established type of geocache.

To answer your specific questions:

1. Yes, many multicaches require driving quite a distance from beginning to end. People tend to enjoy them more if the sites are somehow related, rather than being random waypoints. A tour of the most interesting sites in a small town is a very popular type of multicache. Another popular variation has all the waypoints in the same park, and takes the finder on a route of the hider's choosing within that one park.

Remember that if you hide a stage of a multicache in one of your hometown parks, you are "using up" a chunk of space where a standalone cache could be hidden. Think carefully about making a multicache vs. a series of separate caches, each with a logbook and container.

2. Yes, all GPS receivers have the ability to input a waypoint out in the field.

3. It is fine to attach a clue such as a small sign in a manner that does not permanently damage the object to which it is attached. Screwing a sign into a tree is generally frowned upon, unless permission to do this has been obtained. Attaching a magnet to the bottom of a metal object or the back of a sign is quite common and is acceptable.

I think it would be nice to note in your cache description that this cache will take you on a tour of many parks and that driving will be required. This will let people know that they need to block out more time than if it was a multi all in the same park.

I would certainly note in the cache notes that this will be a multicache, involving multiple parks.. The city I live in isn't all that big, and the parks are all connected by a system of bike trails.. if you didn't want to drive, but walk to each waypoint, that could certainly be done. I'll have to work ou the details in regards to attaching to trees, etc... I'd like this hunt to be user friendly, but a challenge at the same time..

I do have a question about the comments to ? #1. Why would I be "using up" a chunk of space? I'm new to caching, but is there a rule on having more than one cache in a park? That would be unfortunate, because I believe all the parks that I'd be using are large enough to hide many caches.

1. I would encourage you to read the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines document (which I linked to above) before you place a geocache. There, you will learn of the proximity rule, along with other guidelines that have developed over time as geocaching has grown. When you hide a cache, a 528 foot circle around it is "used up." In a large park, that's not a problem. Many parks support multiple caches very nicely. In a city park that is one block square, a single microcache or virtual will block the placement of any other type of cache in that park.

2. A series of parks connected by a bike trail sounds like a GREAT multicache!!!

I have learned that a multi cache removes some of the focus from the are because you are focused on the clue and the next state. Thus a multi cache will detract from an area you would like this to spend a little time at. Unless you are at the final stage but even then after 5 stages often people are out of time.

A stand alone cache or even a virtual cache is better to draw attention to a location. Then after the find you can enjoy the scenery in the cache afterglow.

Some people will disagree but that's my experience. Especially with multi caches that are force fitted from rejected virtual caches. There are exceptions but those have been less than the rule. YMMV.

Actually, I used a multi-cache to draw attention to each of the areas. Each leg of the cache was an offset/puzzle that had people checking out the views, climbing the playground equipment or walking through a hedge maze.

Granted, if I had just made each stage a simple set of co-ordinates it would have been easy to rush right through the areas and miss things, but my goal was to get people to focus on where they were and lose themselves in the story.

Hopefully I succeeded. The feedback seems to indicate that.

I'd also suggest that you indicate the total milage from start to finish, and a rough estimate of time it will take the cacher to complete all the finds.

Also, don't backtrack with the stages. I like multi-caches, but when I'm going back and forth over the same area it's very frustrating. Keep your finders moving in the same direction. Even moving in a large circle is fine, especially if all the stages are in a park where you walk to each stage, and end up back near your car.

Once I get all the rules straight for placing a cache, I'll start site planning and the final product will definitely have an estimated time to complete "warning" if you will.. I haven't hunted any caches yet that I knew would be in a city park (without some sort of tree cover), and i don't think there are many around, so I don't have any qualms with using up some potential cache space for my waypoints. Likely, the cache hunt will be called something like a tour of rochester, so those that visit will have a chance to see what we have to offer.. as for as not having enough time at the parks that they're trying to find clues in, if they do walk they're going to have plenty of time to explore on their long walk back to the starting point and their car.. and hey, we can all use more exercise, can't we :(

Won't a multi only use up a chunk of space around where the person has listed the original cords?

Anyway, question out of the way... If you plan to do a large multi like this, i'd tell people what the approximate driving mileage is for the cache - think of it as telling someone that for cache xyz they'd have to hike 1.4 miles into the woods...

One suggestion to get people to stay and pay attention to something you find important, you might want to do things like... to get the second set of cords, enter the year Joe smith died into W 080 5?.??? and have them get the answers at signs at the locations.. Then they have to read the historical markers or whatever and they'll know why you've sent them to where they're at.

fly46- good suggestion, and I'm already thinking of numerous ways to give people the coordinates, while allowing them to take in their surroundings.. And like someone had said before, a cache uses up a potential space for another cache.. there's a cache hidden at a well known monument/memorial around here, and before knowing the rules, I had planned to use that memorial for a clue.. I'll have to look elsewhere then. It's interesting, I haven't found that memorial site cache, but it's not listed as a virtual.. so there must be an actual cache container there. I have no idea where they could hide something like that without it being in plain site.