Probs With Cigarette Power Adapters

My Cigarette plug end came unscrewed shorting out the 12 electrical in my car, big blue sparking last nite in my car.

Has anybody ever had this problem with adaptor cables falling apart at the cigarette adaptor end?

Please check your cables, are they loose?

Both my GPS 315 and GPS V cables had come apart, but it was my V's cable that shorted my car.

Thanks Geoff

Edited by GOT GPS?
My Cigarette plug end came unscrewed shorting out the 12 electrical in my car, big blue sparking last nite in my car.

Has anybody ever had this problem with adaptor cables falling apart at the cigarette adaptor end?

Both my GPS 315 and GPS V cables had come apart, but it was my V's cable that shorted my car.

Thanks Geoff

Is yours a Garmin cable, GPSGeek, or other manufacturer?

Thanks Geoff

I have had trouble with cigartte plugs for other devices like cell phone chargers coming apart in the plug but not my Garmin GPS cable... Does it say garmin on it or is it just an aftermarket cable?

You might be able to get a replace plug from radio shack and splice it on your cable :rolleyes:

Edited by SunshineGang

Thanks Geoff

Yes. I had my cigarette adapter cable come unscrewed and expose the in-line fuse. Just had to put it back together again. No sparks.

That's one reason to not twist them when inserting or removing them. :( Live and learn, I guess. They are usually designed that way because the fuse for those things is in the plug.

If you find yourself twisting one of those after plugging it in so that you get power, then you can do what I have done in the past: Get a two socket adaptor and plug into that. The plugs and sockets don't always match up to each other very well.

You might be able to get a replace plug from radio shack and splice it on your cable  :D

The cigarette lighter end usually hold the electronics to drop the voltage. Simply replacing it with a generic plug will fry your GPS.

Thanks for the heads up, I was about to replace the plug, glad I didn't

I've never had any trouble with mine. Mind you, its a home-brewed one. I used the pFranc connector to connect to the GPS. For the cigar-lighter adapter I used a NOS (new old stock) cellular telephone adapter and modified the buck-convertor to put out 3.15Vdc instead of the 8.2Vdc. In so doing I noticed something interesting about my eMap. Although it will work merrily at 2Vdc, its important to have the output a very steady 3.15Vdc. Why? Well, it would appear the unit will draw its current from the supply with highest voltage. That's right, if the batteries are fresh & new it will drain these to the same voltage as the external input before taking its current from there. The external power icon will be on alright, but its misleading in this case. I'm not sure if other Garmin units are the same. Also noticed that the eMap doesn't like a fast rise-time when the external power is applied and will do a factory reset, which is both alarming and annoying. This was resolved by strapping a small capacitor across the Vref in the regulator circuit. I hope this information was of use to someone. I'm keen on getting a schematic of this unit as I'm confident I could affect some useful modifications. :lol:

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus