List Your Recent Archived, Disabled, Caches Here

EraSeek

The Jerald B. Deal Memorial Cache, formerly Mission: Afterburner

N.A.D. Marine Cache

N.A.D. Soroptimist Cache

N.A.D. Revenge Cache

N.A.D. Night Cache

All of the above are within the N.A.D. Park off of Kitsap Way and Shorewood Dr.

The park, a former Naval Ammunitians Depot(NAD), will be closed so that a munitions sweep may be performed. This was, more than likely, brought on by a change of land ownership.

In particular, the lower section of the park along the waterfront, formerly the property of the US Navy Dept/Jackson Park Housing, has been recently turned over to the City of Bremerton.

The above listed caches will not be available from December 6, 2004 through February 28, 2005. Therefore, they will be removed on or about December 3, 2004, since one or more of them contain metal and might be detected and considered suspicious objects by those not in the know of things.

No sence telling the parks dept. EXACTLY where they are, even though they gave permission for them to be there. Hopefully, they will be re-installed on or about March 3, 2005.

For those who want to hunt for the above listed caches before the park closure, you have less than 10 days to do so, or wait till next year.

I suspect it was kids from the high school across the street. What makes me wonder is the fact that the film can and tether were gone, but the magnets were still there. If you are going to take something why go to the trouble of cutting the wire. And both ends of the wire were cut short. They would have had to take the magnets out to cut it that short.

I archived all my Klamath caches the other day as a little protest to Klamaths self apointed geocop. I'll let the locals handle the caches in Klamath from now on, and let them handle the geocop.

Archived forever are...

Girlie Hands II

Pupoluku

Where Have All The Cachers Gone

Aunt Stumpy (old cache, since 2001

Lame Micro In A Parking Lot 1

Klamath Pays Less or What?

Lame Micro In A Parking Lot 2Stuck In A Pipe

I archived all my Klamath caches the other day as a little protest to Klamaths self apointed geocop. I'll let the locals handle the caches in Klamath from now on, and let them handle the geocop.

Archived forever are...

Girlie Hands II

Pupoluku

Where Have All The Cachers Gone

Aunt Stumpy (old cache, since 2001

Lame Micro In A Parking Lot 1

Klamath Pays Less or What?

Lame Micro In A Parking Lot 2Stuck In A Pipe

You showed him! Good job :lol:

Ladder Of Life is back in service.

Wow! This cache has been thru quite a bit in the last couple months yet it survives.

I headed out to the cache site yesterday with a replacement cache, fully expecting to have to replace it.

First the site was taken over by some homeless people.

Then came the floods. And I do mean Floods... A rock near the cache that would need a large bulldozer to move has moved a good 15 feet thanks to the water.

Dispite all this I looked in the cache hiding spot and there it was! The box is in good shape and the contents dry. I put a few of the items from the replacement cache I brought into the old box and replaced it in it's hiding place.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

The Bavarian Village (Leavenworth) Webcam cache is back up and active!

Let me share an email I received today from someone at the Leavenworth Chamber of Commerce:

--This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--

I wanted to let you know that the Leavenworth webcam is back online with a new computer, new software and DSL rather than Dial-up service. The image renews every 10 seconds and it seems like all the kinks are finally out - at least it has been working reliably for the past few days.

I work at the Leavenworth Chamber of Commerce coordinating their events. People didn't pay any particular attention to our webcam in the past. Then suddenly every time it was down I got a ton of email. Then I noticed people were doing strange things in front of it. Finally I asked a group that was waving and carrying on what the deal was - I hadn't heard about geocaching until then.

The upshot was that I pushed to get our webcam upgraded and I got a GPS device of my own - so thanks!

I hope you'll consider making the Leavenworth site active again.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko
The Bavarian Village (Leavenworth) Webcam cache is back up and active!

Let me share an email I received today from someone at the Leavenworth Chamber of Commerce:

--This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--

I wanted to let you know that the Leavenworth webcam is back online with a new computer, new software and DSL rather than Dial-up service. The image renews every 10 seconds and it seems like all the kinks are finally out - at least it has been working reliably for the past few days.

I work at the Leavenworth Chamber of Commerce coordinating their events. People didn't pay any particular attention to our webcam in the past. Then suddenly every time it was down I got a ton of email. Then I noticed people were doing strange things in front of it. Finally I asked a group that was waving and carrying on what the deal was - I hadn't heard about geocaching until then.

The upshot was that I pushed to get our webcam upgraded and I got a GPS device of my own - so thanks!

I hope you'll consider making the Leavenworth site active again.

That's awesome RWW!

I archived 15 of my caches today.

Fall City, Preston area.

Pepper

:rolleyes:

What's up, Pepper? :unsure: I saw a couple postings a couple of months ago indicating a possible move -- hope (for our sake) that isn't happening. Hope instead you're just culling through your older ones and lowering your maintenance burdens. I've liked your hides and always enjoy putting them on my lists.

I archived 15 of my caches today.

Fall City, Preston area.

Pepper

Bummer! I'd been planning to spend an afternoon hunting those very caches. I drive by them on my way to and from work every day. Well, maybe I'll hunt out the spots anyway, and drop a cache or two while I'm at it.

Pepper, I'm relatively new to this and only got to do [counting...] 11 of your caches - enjoyed them all. Sorry to see you moving on. Best of luck.

Jeff

Click the "Is Active" button on your PQ's.

Sorry Girl! :(

Actually your not the only one that has hunted one of archived caches.

I actually pick my caches up when I archive them, hmmmm...what a concept!

Pepper

Edited by Pepper

Well, the problem is- if you're using GSAK, you need to not have pocket queries filter out the inactive, because when someone disables a cache, you need to be able to tell GSAK that so you can filter it out from your database when downloading to the GPSr. So I have to run a PQ on all unfound caches. Then it can see if one's gone inactive for a bit and then reenabled. Otherwise it just hangs out there in the GSAK database and never knows it's been disabled.

It seems like archived caches fall off the PQ radar screen. That seems like a big flaw in PQs. Recently archived caches should have the same status as disabled to a PQ. But just recently archived ones or they'd take up the whole PQ.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, if they are posted here, then I could manully download the gpx files for those caches.

Well, the problem is- if you're using GSAK, you need to not have pocket queries filter out the inactive, because when someone disables a cache, you need to be able to tell GSAK that so you can filter it out from your database when downloading to the GPSr. So I have to run a PQ on all unfound caches. Then it can see if one's gone inactive for a bit and then reenabled. Otherwise it just hangs out there in the GSAK database and never knows it's been disabled.

It seems like archived caches fall off the PQ radar screen.

Off topic, but I agree and am eager for a solution to this as well. Indeed, archived caches do not show up in PQs. I tried setting up a daily PQ of caches that are not active and were updated in the last 7 days, thinking this would pick up caches moving to archived status. Nope. (It does seem to pick up those going to disabled status temporarily, so it does serve that purpose, I think.) Anyone have a solution?

It seems like archived caches fall off the PQ radar screen. That seems like a big flaw in PQs. Recently archived caches should have the same status as disabled to a PQ. But just recently archived ones or they'd take up the whole PQ.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, if they are posted here, then I could manully download the gpx files for those caches.

Oh...I see kind of, all that GSAK

I use the "Last Update GPX" field as an indicator that a cache has gone south.  If the date is before your PQ then it likely has been archived.

Yep, for a work around to the problem in GSAK please also see this post

When reading in a new custom query in batch mode into gsak, is there a way to tell it to clear out the previous contents of that database, or filter out ones older than the query ?

Here's an example - this query is the 500 closest unfound centered near home.

DATABASE name="fw (11152)"

LOAD file="c:\tmp\gpx\in\11152.gpx"

EXPORT Type=gpx File="c:\tmp\gpx\out\fw.gpx"

EXPORT Type=snt File="c:\tmp\gpx\out\fw.csv"

Is there a way to filter out based on 'last gpx more than 5 days old' or alternately delete all waypoints in batch mode ?

I use the "Last Update GPX" field as an indicator that a cache has gone south.  If the date is before your PQ then it likely has been archived.

Yep, for a work around to the problem in GSAK please also see this post

When reading in a new custom query in batch mode into gsak, is there a way to tell it to clear out the previous contents of that database, or filter out ones older than the query ?

Here's an example - this query is the 500 closest unfound centered near home.

DATABASE name="fw (11152)"

LOAD file="c:\tmp\gpx\in\11152.gpx"

EXPORT Type=gpx File="c:\tmp\gpx\out\fw.gpx"

EXPORT Type=snt File="c:\tmp\gpx\out\fw.csv"

Is there a way to filter out based on 'last gpx more than 5 days old' or alternately delete all waypoints in batch mode ?

We risk to ire of the moderators by getting off topic, but since the question is here I will answer it. (any more GSAK specific questions should be asked here)

Yes, you can clear the database before loading the GPX file. Just use the "Settings" option for the LOAD command, making sure to save a load setting where you have checked the box "Clear database before loading"

Yes, you can have a filter of 'last gpx more than 5 days old' - take a look at the Not During option from the drop down list in a date filter. Then you can save this filter, give it a name, then you can use this filter in a batch file by using the FILTER command

Edited by ClydeE

The following Bremerton Area caches of mine will be terminated with prejudice:

The Borg Cache / GCK5JF

Mullenix Park & Cache / GCK1MW

Pixie Park / GCHNAK

Powers To The Children / GCK15Z

Rota Vista Park / GCDAC2

Walk-About Park & Ride / GCH06M

I will not Archive them until someone, perhaps the next finder, finds it, takes possession of the container and advises me that they have done so. If these caches have not been claimed within the next 7 to 10 days, I will Archive them as is.

I will not reply to this message, either in this Forum or by E-Mail.

FLEDERMAUS

The following Bremerton Area caches of mine will be terminated with prejudice:

The Borg Cache / GCK5JF

Mullenix Park & Cache / GCK1MW

Pixie Park / GCHNAK

Powers To The Children / GCK15Z

Rota Vista Park / GCDAC2

Walk-About Park & Ride / GCH06M

At the request of PNWAdmin, I am clarifying my previous post.

I am simply opening up space for other cachers to place their own, upgrading the ones I already have and creating new and more challenging ones in old places.

The container at each the above mentioned sites, if not claimed by the next cacher who finds it, will be removed after the cache has been archived.