Coming Soon?

That's pretty funny! But you know, you couldn't tell that I didn't get the co-ordinates to at least one of the caches I hit today from that geotrashing.com page....LOL

Check this out.....was I too harsh?

Springfield Lake Cache

I'm kinda worried because I don't want to upset the cache hider, yet what I saw today would have fit right in to your fake web page.

My log:

:rolleyes: April 11 by PandyBat (9 found)

In defense of the cache hider, this is a great hiding spot! Nice trails, beautiful stuff going on around it, easy find. Couldn't have asked for a nicer hike in a nicer area.

But as far as the actual cache is concerned, the beautiful hike was the only saving grace for this cache container. This cache has been out there for a loooong time and it sure looks it. I am embarrassed to associate myself with the fellow geocachers before me after seeing what's been left in the contents of this cache.

There was nothing but trash that no one would want. Business cards, crumpled up bookmarks, a used ticket stub to a Branson show, pennies, trash, rocks off the ground next to the cache, etc. None of the original contents are still in there except the log book which was in great shape. There are a few items left from previous, more recent cachers: wooden "E", batteries, phone cord and small first aid kit. The camera was gone, which I assume the cache hider left for people to take pics of themselves and replace back in the cache. He might have already went back for it to get it developed. Other than that, there is nothing left in this cache but whatever people happened to have in the floorboard before they left the car. Not even any of the three kids that we took with us wanted anything that was in it. Now that's BAD! :o

You've heard the saying, One man's trash is another man's treasure. Well, when I say trash, I mean TRASH! Trash, useless stuff no one would want to keep as a memento or to use as a trade item in another cache.

We took nothing but left a few items to try and rescue what's left of this cache. Hopefully the cache hider can get out there and freshen this cache more. I'm not into geocaching for the trinkets but it is a nice bonus, especially for the kids. It's not the cache hiders fault, he started this cache out real nice. But to see what others leave as trades is an embarrassment to the whole geocaching community.

**Trade Up, Trade Equal or Don't Trade**

Check this out.....was I too harsh?

I'd say yes, that was a little harsh. It is great that you did your part to improve the cache. Serving as a good example and thanking the cache owner for picking a great location is really all you can do to be helpful in that situation.

Regarding the Geotrashing site - amazingly funny!

I am embarrassed to associate myself with the fellow geocachers before me after seeing what's been left in the contents of this cache.

I wouldn't get too upset because that's just the way of the world. Most importantly, it's all about the hunt. If you concern yourself with the items, it will drive you nuts.

D

Very funny parody! Had me laughing at my desk.

As far as PandyBat's log, I think he was way over the top. A simple "Removed some garbage from the cache. The contents could use some upgrading" would have sufficed. A 4 paragraph rant about the junk in the cache is uncalled for.

Edited by briansnat
As far as PandyBat's log, I think she was way over the top. A simple "Removed some garbage from the cache. The contents could use some upgrading" would have sufficed. A 4 paragraph rant about the junk in the cache is uncalled for.

Yeah, like that subtle little statement would open some eyes or minds, ya think? :rolleyes:

How many threads have been started with the subject of bad cache traders as the subject??? Obviously, people aren't getting the message. I prefer not to be that subtle about it. Until you make a stink, people aren't going to smell it.

If you don't start telling it like it is, then others don't think twice about what they've done and the cache trashing will continue. I will admit that I was a little harsh in my log but if nothing else, I was specific and honest about it.

We took a newbie kid with us and this was her first cache trip. To walk upon this and see the reaction on her face and to hear her say, "Why did they put trash in it?" was sad. She thought Jeremy808 left all that for us to find. We had to explain to her that it wasn't him, it was the people that came after him and before us. So, yes, I went a little over the top in my log but maybe the next person to see that cache will think twice about trashing it again.

Everybody keeps saying, "It's not about the trinkets. It's about the journey getting there." Well, it's also not a free for all. Trade Up, Trade Equal or Don't Trade. How hard is that to understand? If you have enough money to buy a top of line GPS to do this with, you have enough money to at least go to the dollar store to buy a few things to trade with. Saying that you forgot to bring your trade items is no longer an excuse. If you didn't bring anything, then don't take anything.

BTW...I got an email from Jeremy808 thanking me for letting him know it was getting out of hand and he said he is going to go out and make it salvagable. He said he always replaces the camera that was in it so if there was no camera there, someone must have taken it.

I'm sorry for hijacking the thread about this, Indiana Cojones. I realize now I should have put this somewhere else initially.

If you don't start telling it like it is, then others don't think twice about what they've done and the cache trashing will continue. I will admit that I was a little harsh in my log but if nothing else, I was specific and honest about it.

That's well and good, but you might not find yourself being voted "most popular" at the next event. There are more tactful ways of achieving the same result.

That's well and good, but you might not find yourself being voted "most popular" at the next event. There are more tactful ways of achieving the same result.

Puhlease! The only way to get people to wake up and address the problem is to tell it to them honestly. Otherwise, a subtle suggestion about maintaining a cache is just going to get about as much attention as any other log post.

Haven't you all discussed bad trades to the inth degree already? It's about time to walk the walk instead of talking the talk.

If people want to avoid me at events because I speak my mind and not sugar-coat problems, then that's their perogative. I'm sure they would find out I'm not that bad a person anyway in the long run. I'm not the enemy, I'm trying to help. :(

I fell off the chair laughing, and then rolled over on my other side because my first side hurt...

Then my foot got caught round the cord and I fell down two flights of stairs.

Wrapped in AC cable, I was bleeding pretty profusely.

Nothing was funny anymore.

My lawyer will be in touch.

:(  :(  :P  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :(  :(  :blink:  :lol:

For some reason I am reminding of this story...

us hillbillys kinda say whatever pops in our heads without any kind of censor before it comes out our mouths. so she should fit in at the next event around here. now outside of this area, that's another story... :(

pandybat, glad you heard from jeremy808. i never did after 2 emails.

What's _REALLY_ needed is a way to use geocaching to get rid of unwanted nuclear waste.  :D

That's easy. Attach a TB to it, and say that its' goal is to visit as many caches as possible.

I guarantee it'll disappear faster than socks in a dryer. :D

What's _REALLY_ needed is a way to use geocaching to get rid of unwanted nuclear waste.  :D

That's easy. Attach a TB to it, and say that its' goal is to visit as many caches as possible.

I guarantee it'll disappear faster than socks in a dryer. :D

Hmmm....Ill have to try that with my ex-wife.