Virtual Cache

Wadders

is there a way that a hider of a cache, can reject someones claim of a find if they have failed to email the hider first with the correct answer for the cache?

Or should the hider make it so that the seeker has to email a correct answer first.

we have a hider who has archived his caches because people were claiming the cache before emailing him.

playing fair?

Waaders

I post and email at the same time. If the cache owner feels the poster didn't find it or provided incorrect info, I feel they should contact the poster and then if necessary, remove the log from the cache page.

Does that answer what you asked or did I misunderstand the question?

it possible then for the owner to remove the claimed logs?

Yes, the owner of a cache has the ability to delete any logs on the cache.

I once deleted a find on my virtual because the "finder" stated on his log that he didn't have to go to the spot because he knew right where it was. I e-mailed him twice informing him that I needed the answer to the "proof question" and gave him a week before deleting his find.

What does the cache page say? Does the owner want you to e-mail him the information and wait for him to respond? If it doesn't say that, log and e-mail at the same time.

I think it's ridiculous to wait for an email response from the hider before being allowed to log a find.

I log the find and send an email within minutes of each other. If my answers are wrong, the hider can then request that I change the log to a note or DNF.

I have only had a couple of hiders respond to the email anyway, so I would still be waiting to log the virtuals I found last year if I was waiting for a response.

What is the benefit to the hider by making people wait to log? Do those same hiders verify physical logbooks on their traditional caches before allowing anyone to log online?

If it's archived, then that spot is fair game for a new cache... :o

I e-mail when I post my find. Depending on my mood, I may not even bother to e-mail the answers to the quiz. I'll often just post photos (that don't contain spoilers) instead. :rolleyes:

I've had some people wait before logging a find on one of my virts. I try and check my geocaching email at least once a week because of this reason.

I'll normally send the email then log the find. All within minutes of each other. Except on virts where it states that you MUST wait before logging. I think the one I've seen like that was in the DC area.

I think if people can't read & understand the log then the hider is entitled to archive his or her cache if people can not do what is asked. Surely the point of caching is to do whats on the log, thats why they are there.I check my emails regularly so am always quick to reply to virtual answers. People should always check caches right before they go to find them to check their status.

Edited by plymplodders

I don't think you generally need to wait to hear a response from the owner before logging your find online, unless they've specifically asked you to do so. The only time I waited was when I really wasn't sure I had the right answer (very bad signal bounce in an urban location). But SENDING the answer to the confirmation question, either before or very shortly after logging online, is required. Maybe the owner will read it, maybe they won't, maybe they'll respond, maybe they won't. Still need to send it. The owner is entirely within their rights to delete the log if the logger can't or won't answer the confirmation question.

I log my find and send the e-mail at the same time, unless the owner says differently. Never had a probelm.

And as the owner of several virts when I get the log, I expect the verification info to follow and it usually does. I don't think the finder needs my blessing to go ahead and log the find as long as they sent the verification info, but some do wait for my OK.