How Do You Transport Your Caching Pup?

So, what do you all do? I own an extended cab Sierra 1500 (read truck). Tomorrow, we'll be caching with another duo and thus all four seats will be filled. I don't have a shell, so our rather large retriever pup has no place to be. We could stick her in the bed of the truck leashed to a tie down, but that just makes us nervous... (we'll be doing a lot of freeway driving). Looks like we'll need to leave her home :tired:

Is this a reason to own an SUV? I hate the idea of buying a 12MPG behemoth (the truck at least gets 15 or so) just for the occasional space problem.

What vehicle/setup works for you?

Two words: roof rack.

Seriously, what sbell said. Not all SUV's are 12 mpg. A small or midsize SUV will net you slightly better mileage and a more comfortable ride, at the expense of some ground clearance. For me, it's a nice compromise. A large dog would comfortably fit in the way back section, with the gear up on the roof rack. Yeah, that's what I meant...

I don't know how big your dog is, but my fairly large Golden Retriever pup is able to sit on my lap, if needed.

Another great place is at your feet, possibly in the front passengers side theres usually a lot of extra foot room if your willing to share your space...

A cheaper solution is a car carrier. Hunters transport dogs in the back of their trucks all of the time. You could buy one of those large pet crates and lash it to the center front of the bed. Orient it so you can open and close it without climbing up. The animal is secured from sticking it head around the cab and risking getting debris in it's eyes or nose, it can't jump out, won't be thrown around too much in an emergency situation, and it's somewhat free to move around a little. Plus, at other times if it wallows in something it thinks smells good, but you don't, then you can bring it home without having to hang your head out the window.

Better than spending several thousand dollars changing vehicles just so some dog can ride comfortably. (Can you tell I'm not a dog person?)

I know this is a day late, but I hope this helps in the future!

In our Hemi Quad-Cab, we have seating for 6 people or 4 people & one pup. Just hope the people do not mind wet kisses.

The other option...be real comfortable & take 2 vechiles! That way if one were to need help...stuck, flat tire, etc. & if the one couple gets tired & does not want to continue they could easily go their own way.

When you live in a rual area & cache/rockhound in the boonies...you get to thinking along the lines of 2 vechicles are way better than 1, especially after hiking the first ten miles back to civilization!

I'd actually have to agree with the crate as my second choice after having the dog sit on your lap or feet. Just make sure you get a good, plastic airline type crate that allows the dog limited range of sight, I mean that would be really disorienting if he were just in a normal metal crate...

My retriever rides in the back of my truck, I have a shell, carpeting and dog bed installed. I bought the shell specifically for that reason. I had a Ford Explorer, the dog rode in the back. Fine and dandy until one day he hacks up a huge mass of doggie goo and coughs it at high velocity towards the front of the vehicle. It hit the windshield. It was at that point I began considering trading the Exploder in in a 4 door truck with shell.

My retriever rides in the back of my truck, I have a shell, carpeting and dog bed installed. I bought the shell specifically for that reason. I had a Ford Explorer, the dog rode in the back. Fine and dandy until one day he hacks up a huge mass of doggie goo and coughs it at high velocity towards the front of the vehicle. It hit the windshield. It was at that point I began considering trading the Exploder in in a 4 door truck with shell.

:(:blink::lol::(:(

Get a crate for your dog, its much safer for you and him. If your not going to crate him consider getting a dog seatbelt. After all wouldn't you want your dog to have as much protection in a crash as your kids? Also a dog hurtling around the inside of a cab in a rapid evasive maneuver is not condusive to helping you avoid a crash.

Leave a human, take the dog. :( Seriously, Bella comes on 98% of my cache trips and anyone that wants to come with me knows that. If seating is limited then someones taking another car.

Of course in your case getting a cap for your truck will work too. Just make sure you put carpet down also so your dog has traction and won't slide all over the place. The more secure the better. I would actually leave the dog home than throw him/her in the back of an open truck bed.

You can do what I did: Buy a new vehicle to accomodate the dog! :(:(

I seriously did that, but I was starting to need a new car by that time anyway. I went from a Toyota Tercel to Subaru Outback.

Anyway, my neighbor uses a dog carrier in the back of his truck and has it tied down somehow. That seems to work well for him. He has a large dog.

This is a problem I wish I had. I am currently dogless, for the first time in years.

Based on many years of living with one pooch or another I would vote for a pickup with a cap. We shared the extended cab sierra 2500 with our 80# poodle most of the time. But on occasion he would eat something vile or take swim in the swamp. Then it was into the bed. In my landcruiser I rigged a couple of leashes and a harness, I also pulled the back seat and replaced it with a padded/carpeted 2'X3' piece of plywood. Rufus had room to move around but stayed inside the roll cage.

I plan on getting a doggy seat belt for my next friend. For thier safety and mine.

I think that I am going to have to invest in a cap for my truck. We just added a new addition to our caching family. Now I have to take Hannibal who is pushing 200 pounds and a 6 month old Great Dane named Shrek. Shreck won't get nearly as big as Hannibal but he will still be a lot of dog. :D

those aren't dogs!! that's livestock!! :D:D

Well, 200 lbs certainly isn't a dog... But if you actually have a dog (mine is 90 lbs) then I would highly recommend looking into a Subaru for your next caching vehicle. You have lots of choices, but any of the hatchbacks or wagons are great for dogs (they even make factory accessories for dogs!). I have a 2001 Outback H6-3.0 VDC which has 212 horsepower, leather seats, two sunroofs, a great spot for my dog :D , all wheel drive and ..... 27 mpg! The new ones have OnStar built in too!

:D CRATE? My boy (20# JRT) rides in a crate that's in the folded down back seat of my 14mpg Jeep Grand Cherokee. Usually doesn't fuss and most of the time will jump in on his own. A little prompting and training helps if you're dog isn't used to a crate!!!

Good luck, and please don't let him ride unrestrained in the bed of the truck. :D

Yah, actually the crate is pretty good. Usually, while caching, we'll take our dog and just let her ride in the back seat, cause it's just me and my dad, but when we go on extended trips where she may not be able to come and/or she might get tired. I bring the crate.

I think that I am going to have to invest in a cap for my truck.  We just added a new addition to our caching family.  Now I have to take Hannibal who is pushing 200 pounds and a 6 month old Great Dane named Shrek.  Shreck won't get nearly as big as Hannibal but he will still be a lot of dog. :D

those aren't dogs!! that's livestock!! :D:D

It's kind of fun to see the looks that I get when Hannibal rides in the front seat of my truck with me. I've actually been pulled over by a state trooper just so he could ask me what kind of dog he is. ;)

Not good... I'm in a meeting (that I called), supposedly listening to some very important people talk about some supposedly very important and serious stuff, and here I am reading the replies, busting out laughing... thanks for getting me in trouble you bastids :D

So we ended up taking the Vibe. It was cramped, and Angie had very little room, but it worked for the day. We too like the idea of a crate/carrier for the back of the truck. She's getting on in years, so with the crate, we need to have a ramp so she can climb up into the bed.

I should have mentioned that I'm 6'9" tall (you should see me fold into the Vibe!), so something as large in the cab as a truck is a requirement. I loved the Subaru's that I looked at... that is until I actually test drove... I should say squeezed into one... and realized my knees didn't feel too good in my throat.

Edited by CacheCreatures

:D

Hello,

Well our dogs are very spoiled. I am buying a new pickup and changed the style of the interior jsut to make it better for my dogs. I have a 2500HD sierra crew cab long bed and will be getting another but will get the bench seat in the front so doggies will be more comfortable. the old truck had bucket seats with a console. hard for dogs to stand on console as they would slip off the plastic.

I never ever would allow a dog to ride on back. years ago a friend of ours had a dog jump off and break a leg. Even with a tie down a dog like mine would chew through it or scrim out of a collar. A cap on the bag can get very hot and stuffy.

Our dogs love to cache and help us sniff out the caches. sometimes we do not even look at the GPS.

I put dog toys in the caches I set out. And we even put toys for the cats. We have one cat that will go on a lease so maybe she would like to go caching also.

i guess my advice is that if the other couple tha is going wiht you like your dog, take him along and let him sit on floor or a lap. If not well pup wil have stay home. Remeber the safety issue. The crate idea sounds good but I would put tie downs on it so it would not slide or fly off in case of an accident. or if you are a wild driver :D

well have fun and if you are ever in Maine look up all the wonderful caches we have. lots of remote hiking tha I am sure you and your pup will enjoy.

geosmiles to you

I have your solution. I am married to a giant, (he's 6'10") so I know about folding into vehicles. You should see him getting out of my Malibu :D

Last year we bought a 2000 Dodge 1500 extenede cab. It has the V8 (the bigger one) but not a hemi. It get's great milage, and has a HUGE gas tank. Our Bassett (Merv 52lbs) and our Wolfhybrid (Ted 175 he's very tubby, but we are working on that) both riding in the bench seat in the back of the cab, or in the front seat in a doggie seatbelt.

There is room for six people in the truck, and it has enough power to hall a pontoon boat, and my husband doesn't have to drive with his knees against the dash, to give the people in the back seat enough room. (Even though I am a munchkin at 5'4")

The only draw back is the tires. Upwards of $700 for all four tires.

A cheaper solution is a car carrier.  Hunters transport dogs in the back of their trucks all of the time.  You could buy one of those large pet crates and lash it to the center front of the bed.  Orient it so you can open and close it without climbing up.  The animal is secured from sticking it head around the cab and risking getting debris in it's eyes or nose, it can't jump out, won't be thrown around too much in an emergency situation, and it's somewhat free to move around a little.  Plus, at other times if it wallows in something it thinks smells good, but you don't, then you can bring it home without having to hang your head out the window.

Better than spending several thousand dollars changing vehicles just so some dog can ride comfortably.  (Can you tell I'm not a dog person?)

I know this is a day late, but I hope this helps in the future!

When a dog is treated like a member of the family instead of just a hunting dog or worse, then you tend to want to give that dog some comforts. I know mine enjoys his little creature comforts we provide him and he's happier for it.

I specifically went out looking for an SUV and several sales agents tried to talk me into a pickup and just put my dog in the back which steadfastly I balked at. In the PNW, I didn't feel it was right to leave the dog to the elements in the winter while I enjoyed the nice warm comfort of the cab. I ended up with a Jeep GC Laredo. This provides him with plenty of room in the back and enough room to seat 4 large and 1 mini.

When it's just me and him, both the back seats are down and he can stick his nose out the window and sometimes he shows a little appreciation by a quick lick on the back of my ear. That's companionship and you won't get that from a pickup bed.

One other point... he only got into one carcass when I wasn't watching him too closely. :lol: There are doggy breath freshner "mints" for just that issue, and they work really well.

Edited to add my jeep is averaging 15.4mpg.

Edited by TotemLake
When a dog is treated like a member of the family instead of just a hunting dog or worse, then you tend to want to give that dog some comforts.

I'm sure, especially when you're in the market for a new vehicle to begin with.

But if you're going to trade a vehicle at the cost of several thousand dollars just to make the animal comfortable, well, you must love that dog an awful lot!

Me, I just don't see the attraction of owning a dog be it companion animal, working dog, or livestock (my term for the poor dogs that are brought home and just thrown into the backyard and forgotten about.) Had them all the time as a kid, didn't care for them then, either.

One other point... he only got into one carcass when I wasn't watching him too closely.  There are doggy breath freshner "mints" for just that issue, and they work really well.

My ex-boyfriend used to feed certs to my dog. They worked quite well, but I always questioned if they were OK to feed to her!