Other Caching Sites

Ebony Star

You need to understand the history of our sport. Recognize that there is always politics. Plus throw in that some look towards the future of geocaching and work to make that future possible but that not everyone has the same vision of what that future is.

Geocaching.com wasn't the first geocaching site. Some have come and gone. Navicache remains, and Geocaching.com remains the largest. Several are in development but offer no caches at this time. A few other countries including Estonia, Hungary, and Russia have their own sites but I don't have specific information as to their size or success.

Here is a link to a site that gives some of the history.

Edit. That history covers some of the early politics of the game.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Thanks. All that is good to know. It's kind of sad, in a way- I'm not blaming anyone, but why should there be that kind of infighting over caching?

Oh well.

Everybody wants their piece of the pie, I guess. Geocaching isn't any different than those products Team GPSaxophone listed above. Everyone thinks they can do it better than the first guy.

Edited by PandyBat
Thanks. All that is good to know. It's kind of sad, in a way- I'm not blaming anyone, but why should there be that kind of infighting over caching?

Oh well.

Pick a topic in the forums and people don't agree. It's as simple as that. However once you actually look at a topic and look at the vision different people have for geoaching it's no longer so simple.

What is simple is finding caches. Ok not so simple some times but people can focuse on geocaching and ignore the politics and forum wars, or just focus on getting questions answered.

Also it's not all infighting. Different sites serve different needs, different audiences, and different goals.

Geocaching.com is a family site with some rules regarding commercial caches. Should someone want to start up commerical caches, adult-themed caches, or other types of caching that don't seem to fit in here, then they have the freedom to go elsewhere.

I like Groundspeak but I don't want geocaching.com to be my only choice. That would not be in the best interests of the sport. It wouldn't even be in the best interests of Groundspeak.

Besides, I consider it the "official" geocaching site. Why go anywhere else? :tired:

Can you find me the "official" motocross site? How about the "official" coin collecting site, or the "official" mountain climbing site?

Geocaching is just a hobby (or sport, or activity). Geocaching.com, while doing a great job of supporting and promoting the hobby, is just a support site. There is no "official" geocaching website.

Besides, I consider it the "official" geocaching site. Why go anywhere else?  :tired:

Can you find me the "official" motocross site? How about the "official" coin collecting site, or the "official" mountain climbing site?

Geocaching is just a hobby (or sport, or activity). Geocaching.com, while doing a great job of supporting and promoting the hobby, is just a support site. There is no "official" geocaching website.

Um...yeah....that's what I said. "I" consider it the "official" geocaching site.