How To Get A Flyfisherman Excited.

We went out and placed a large cache today, but will wait until next Friday (4-16-04) to submit it for approval.

How does this get the flyfishermen excited? Well the First to Find prize is an Orvis Flyrod (used but in very good condition with hard case)! :o

Now they have to wait until next weekend to find out where the cache is hidden. :tired:

If the Approvers are as quick as normal at approving our caches it should be online by 5pm Friday. Now is the time to plan your next cache hunt.

Today's clue is -- The cache is less than 1/2 mile from the "Grand Canyon Highway" and accessable by car. :blink:

Do you want more clues?

The 2oldfarts

Who knows Snoogans, you may get lucky and no one else is interested. :blink:

John

I was almost FTF on a cache that sat for weeks without a find in Flagstaff. I got the 2TF honors on that one. I'm gonna owe that cache for awhile. I dropped about $30 worth of citrine (real citrine, NOT doctored amythist) and red tiger's eye in it on my way home. The item I got out of it appraised at well over $100. (I was sure it wasn't worth more than $15.) Looks like I'll be makin payments each time I pass through.

Sn :o:tired: gans

wow another cahcer from texas. lemme guess u live in austin :blink: . San Antonio needs more techees. 1.5 mil people and less caches that a city 1/3 of its size

:tired: .its not fair I tell you its just not.

I'm in the Armpit of the Universe. Houston. I'll be caching in New Braunfels next weekend. That's pretty close to S.A.

wow another cahcer from texas. lemme guess u live in austin :blink: . San Antonio needs more techees. 1.5 mil people and less caches that a city 1/3 of its size

:tired: .its not fair I tell you its just not.

I think Snoogans hails from the armpit of Texas (his words, not mine), which would be Houston.

wow another cahcer from texas. lemme guess u live in austin :tired: . San Antonio needs more techees. 1.5 mil people and less caches that a city 1/3 of its size

:blink:  .its not fair I tell you its just not.

I think Snoogans hails from the armpit of Texas (his words, not mine), which would be Houston.

Get it right Webby, or you're gonna lose your exalted position as President of my fan club. :o The entire Universe, not just Texas.

I'm speaking geographically. The people (especially the geocachers) here are GREAT! The economy is AWESOME and so is the caching, but it's hot, swampy, polluted and most of all flat. I'm mountain folk. Eastern Sierra!!!

wow another cahcer from texas. lemme guess u live in austin :tired: . San Antonio needs more techees. 1.5 mil people and less caches that a city 1/3 of its size

:blink:  .its not fair I tell you its just not.

Get it right Webby, or you're gonna lose your exalted position as President of my fan club. :o The entire Universe, not just Texas.

I'm speaking geographically. The people (especially the geocachers) here are GREAT! The economy is AWESOME and so is the caching, but it's hot, swampy, polluted and most of all flat. I'm mountain folk. Eastern Sierra!!!

I stand corrected. Actually, I'm sitting, but sitting corrected doesn't sound quite right.

Snoogans lives in the armpit of the Universe, otherwise known as Houston.

Well the First to Find prize is an Orvis Flyrod (used but in very good condition with hard case)!  :blink:

The 2oldfarts

Ok....now you really have me confused, Shirley. You want to eliminate the FTF competition, yet you leave FTF prizes like this?!!? :tired:

If you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. :o

Edited by PandyBat

How does this get the flyfishermen excited? Well the First to Find prize is an Orvis Flyrod (used but in very good condition with hard case)!  :tired:

Do you want more clues?

The 2oldfarts

This one may be worth traveling for! Now time to get picky... what weight is it? I need a good 6-wt.! :blink:

And yes, there is fly fishing in Houston!

How does this get the flyfishermen excited? Well the First to Find prize is an Orvis Flyrod (used but in very good condition with hard case)!  :rolleyes:

Do you want more clues?

The 2oldfarts

This one may be worth traveling for! Now time to get picky... what weight is it? I need a good 6-wt.! :o

And yes, there is fly fishing in Houston!

I'm sorry I can't remember whether it was a #6 or #7 (I think it said 6 on it.).

John

When we were heading out to place the cache we stopped off along the main backroad to the cache site and found a couple of benchmarks.

One was set in 1933 and has a rock cairn near it.

The other was set in 1953 and is right next to the 'ROAD'.

You will probably pass by both of these on the way to the cache. That is if you go the same way we did.

John

darn darn darn!  Guess I'm stuck with my old fly rod.  AZ is kind of far for me.  Good luck to the rest!

:D Oh, say it is not so...If you leave tomorrow, you could make it here in Page, AZ. on Friday & we could ride along with you to see you get the prize!

By the way...what did that fish weigh?

Shirley~

15 lb brown, caught in Maxwell Creek, in upstate NY. Maxwell Creek runs into Lake Ontario. I used to get mad because we'd gone up for salmon fishing (I was a newbie mind you) and all I was managing to catch were jumbo brown troutskys. When I realized the men were getting jealous, I got it. Trout is better!!! :D I finally did catch a 24.5 lb salmon that wanted to take me swimming. Can't make the AZ trip though, have to head to FL in May. Oh well. Good luck and good fun with it! (BTW, got a pal who has a pal who guides for Orvis, 50% discounts so I think I'll be ok!)

(edited for typing in the dark on a black keyboard)

Edited by Planet

Nice idea for FTF prize! I would do that since I got a Winston 5/6 wt rod now, and have a 6 wt that I now never use. But I don't think the cachers here would be into it. It gets kind of silly when I go fly fishing for bluegill here surrounded by spin rod folks! That poor Winston only sees trout once a year or so! :P:lol::D

One more day until we submit this cache for approval! :lol: It will hopefully be approved by late afternoon tomorrow. Arizona time.

Here is the last hint: It is northwest of the Hack Mine (in Hack canyon, Mohave co. Az.)

We would like to tell you the name of the cache, but that would probably be too much info right now. After we submit it we will post and tell you what the name of the cache is.

Let us know if you enjoyed this thread as much as we did.

We have just one request for the FTFer and that is to post a picture of yourself with the FTF prize here on the forums.

Thank You

the 2oldfarts

One more day until we submit this cache for approval! :lol: It will hopefully be approved by late afternoon tomorrow. Arizona time.

Here is the last hint: It is northwest of the Hack Mine (in Hack canyon, Mohave co. Az.)

We would like to tell you the name of the cache, but that would probably be too much info right now. After we submit it we will post and tell you what the name of the cache is.

We have just one request for the FTFer and that is to post a picture of yourself with the FTF prize here on the forums.

Thank You

the 2oldfarts

Mohave co. Az.! My Mom just moved away from that area to Santa Fe.

That's where I bought my Red Tiger's eye. A little rock shop in Fort Mohave. Great Prices if you know what you're looking for.

Sn :lol::lol: gans

One more day until we submit this cache for approval!  :lol: It will hopefully be approved by late afternoon tomorrow. Arizona time.

Thank You

the 2oldfarts

Mohave co. Az.! My Mom just moved away from that area to Santa Fe.

That's where I bought my Red Tiger's eye. A little rock shop in Fort Mohave. Great Prices if you know what you're looking for.

Sn :lol::lol: gans

Hey, thanks Snoogans,,,we are going around that area in a couple weeks...we will definitly check out that rock shop! :lol:

We will be staying in Laughlin for a couple of days to cache & benchmark (some 1889-early 1900's) & of course play away. We need a break from Page, AZ. & work!

Shirley~

Snoogans lives in the armpit of the Universe, otherwise known as Houston.

Wow, if Houston is the armpit of the universe, then El Paso must be the forgotten stepchild of Texas! I'm happy to be a new geocacher in the state, but we're so far away from everything!

Sadly, that includes your new cache, Shirley and John. I hope I can make it to that beautiful area someday! I can't wait to see who gets the FTF.

Paula :lol:

Congratulations to 'coachsteve' from southern Utah on being the first to find "It was a dynamite place". :(

He is allowing us to post this picture of a happy fisherman.

6367c9f2-d96b-4180-8fdc-cf0589a46cf9.jpg

Here is his log entry.

"Found it! I'm glad I was checking out Caches in that area because we are headed that way next weekend. As soon as I saw the FTF prize, I was in my truck and on the way. This is my first FTF, and what a first! You have made my whole geocaching year! I will add to the cache this weekend when we go out. I'm not sure I traded fairly, so I will add more. Also took the camera case and left some Salt Lake Olympic pins, hand warmers, and a leatherman type tool. You have made one old flyfisherman very happy! Thanks, as one old fart to two others. I don't know how to put pictures in the forums yet, so I will post them here. I had to take them myself, so my ugly face shows up really well.

Coach Steve from Hurricane, Utah "

Good luck fishing,

the 2oldfarts

PS: We sure had a good time placing this cache.

:(:huh::D:(:D

looks like a nice rainbow, the picture is kinda hard to tell. congrats! I love to fish but never fly fished. My buddy and I are going to Va this weekend (coming from WV) and hes planning on fly fishing. Maybe he can teach me ;)

Congrats! Man i need to think of a neat FTF prize for my new caches im going to hide...

aj

The picture of the fish is a little deceiving. It is actually 18" and weighed approx. 2 lbs. It is one of the average fish I caught that day. They were biting so fast that I had a hard time getting the camera out. The biggest was 23" (cutthroat) and the smallest was 15". There was a massive Mayfly hatch going on, and it looked like someone had just thrown feed in a hatchery pond. My arms are tired . . . . :P:lol::D