Makeing Geocaching Better

Ban arrogant cachers. :tired:

I'm all for that! Some of you guys love to intimidate the newbies with your "vast knowledge" of all things GPS and geocaching and seem more likely to insult than help new people. It's not happened that much to me yet but other posts I have read make me feel sorry for the people asking the questions and trying to get feel for how geocaching works. Also, coming down on members for posting questions already posted before is petty. Just because you old timers know it all doesn't mean the newbies are as informed as you are. I have been wondering why so many members have been registered for years and only have a handful of posts. I think I get the idea why that is now. :blink:

Please be kinder to the newbies. They promote and enjoy this sport just as much as anyone else when out in the field. Which helps us all, right?

Don't flame me....this is just an observation. Get off your high horses and help people instead of making them feel like dummies or that they are not wanted here.

This golden rule would save a whole bunch of heartburn:

"Everyone plays their own game. There is no sense in trying to police another's mindset as long as it falls within the general parameters of the game." Me (quoting myself from the poll that I posted on 10/23.)

It sure has saved me some headaches......

Sn :blink::tired: gans

Don't flame me....this is just an observation. Get off your high horses and help people instead of making them feel like dummies or that they are not wanted here.

you just lit the fuse.......................... :tired:

She's right though. It's a known forum problem.

Yes it is. On the flip side of the coin though it is a known problem some newbies refuse to learn. Knowing who is legit and who is the lazy bum is the key to appropriate chastisement.

I'm all for that! Some of you guys love to intimidate the newbies with your "vast knowledge" of all things GPS and geocaching and seem more likely to insult than help new people. It's not happened that much to me yet but other posts I have read make me feel sorry for the people asking the questions and trying to get feel for how geocaching works. Also, coming down on members for posting questions already posted before is petty. Just because you old timers know it all doesn't mean the newbies are as informed as you are. I have been wondering why so many members have been registered for years and only have a handful of posts. I think I get the idea why that is now. :o

Please be kinder to the newbies. They promote and enjoy this sport just as much as anyone else when out in the field. Which helps us all, right?

Yes, and I was talking about those arrogant people who complain constantly how bad the forums are, and want to get rid of them, all the while spending plenty of time in the forums. Odd, isn't it? :D:blink:

I'm all for that! Some of you guys love to intimidate the newbies with your "vast knowledge" of all things GPS and geocaching and seem more likely to insult than help new people. It's not happened that much to me yet but other posts I have read make me feel sorry for the people asking the questions and trying to get feel for how geocaching works. Also, coming down on members for posting questions already posted before is petty. Just because you old timers know it all doesn't mean the newbies are as informed as you are. I have been wondering why so many members have been registered for years and only have a handful of posts. I think I get the idea why that is now. :o

Yes, and I was talking about those arrogant people who complain constantly how bad the forums are, and want to get rid of them, all the while spending plenty of time in the forums. Odd, isn't it? :D:blink:

I hear ya, Sparky. I like the forums, I have learned alot so far. I'm glad they're here because, believe me, if the weather here was any better than its been the last two days, I wouldn't be in the forums either. But since I can't go out and geocache, I might as well be reading up on it in the forums.

Team GPSsaxophone said it best.........basically, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

What is the one thing you would do to make Geocaching better?

Do you mean the activity or the website?

If it's the activity, I can't think of any way that would improve it for everyone. One of the best things about geocaching is the ability to engage in the activity exactly how you want to.

If you mean the site, add spell check to logs and posts.

I am new to geocaching. I have been at it for little over a week. The first few days I got started I just went out and had a blast. I didn't know what I was doing but I just had fun.

The fist thing that I noticed within 30 min of reading these forums is that people take this way to seriously! WOW. People mad about 5/5 caches being bad for the game/sport/hobby (whatever it is called), people mad about the forums, mad about the way others go about geocaching, mad about urban micros that you just drive right up to, you should have to take a test...on and on.

Isn't the purpose to have fun and NOT take things so seriously? If you want to flame me then that's fine. It won't bother me. I am just stating what I have noticed since I am still a newbie. :tired:

Happy geocaching!

PS. That whole taking a test idea makes me fall over laughing! No, really. It does.

Posted on Apr 10 2004, 07:14 PM

Ban McToys

Hey what you got against mctoys :tired: . They can be some of the best cache things to find. they are better than sharp objects. Spell check on the logs would save me alot of embarisment. I hate spelling and thank God evary day for spell check without it I would be failing.

Posted on Apr 10 2004, 07:27 PM

The fist thing that I noticed within 30 min of reading these forums is that people take this way to seriously! WOW. People mad about 5/5 caches being bad for the game/sport/hobby (whatever it is called), people mad about the forums, mad about the way others go about geocaching, mad about urban micros that you just drive right up to, you should have to take a test...on and on.

Isn't the purpose to have fun and NOT take things so seriously?

Edited by Team ClandestinePenguin

hold on, thump, whack, smack... not to beat a dead horse but. McToys is an argument that will never have a resolution. There are people who like to find McToys, and people who hate them. I am the latter. I could go on but bang, kapow, blammo.....

I am new to geocaching. I have been at it for little over a week. The first few days I got started I just went out and had a blast. I didn't know what I was doing but I just had fun.

Isn't the purpose to have fun and NOT take things so seriously? If you want to flame me then that's fine. It won't bother me. I am just stating what I have noticed since I am still a newbie. :D

Happy geocaching!

PS. That whole taking a test idea makes me fall over laughing! No, really. It does.

I have been around for awhile...

I agree.

Your observation is pretty accurate.

B):D:tired::blink::o

:D

:D

Isn't the purpose to have fun and NOT take things so seriously? If you want to flame me then that's fine. It won't bother me. I am just stating what I have noticed since I am still a newbie. :tired:

Happy geocaching!

Yeah, all good stuff. But, you know, this is what forums are all about. Web forums wouldn't exist if all that people wanted to post in them was how wonderful everything is.

Like the media says, 'Good news is NO news!'

The way to survive on the forum is to 'not take the forum too seriously'.....

Redefine the term "First to Find" to mean the first person to find the cache must put a nice prize in it. Something like a gold doubloon would be nice! :tired:

John & Shirley

A gold dubloon!??! Yeah, I'll remember that the next time I have a few laying around that I need to get rid of....lol

j/k ya!

I thought the FTF didn't have to leave a trade? I musta missed something. :blink:

I plan on leaving a nice prize for my FTF cacher but I don't expect them to leave something in return. It would be a nice thing to do but not a requirement. Or should special prizes be left for the FTF's at all??? Seems like that would cause alot of people to go out only for the FTF's and the special prizes. Now I'm really confused as to whether I should leave anything more than maybe a certificate or something similar instead of a nice prize.

if we had only 1 cache a month that my city would have like 5 geocaches. There is one main person who hides them and she does it very well and with great care :tired: . She has hidden over 130 caches. The more you find the better you get at hideing.

I just did a search from your latest cache and found 777 caches nearby! There could be no new caches for years and you wouldn't run out at your current rate.

I don't see how it is possible for anyone to maintain 130 caches, let alone take the time to place new quality ones as well.

True, this rule would hinder some of the good hiders out there, but it would also curb the ones that feel they have to plant a sub micro every single day in poor locations, with no thought or effort other than tossing an infinetesimal container out the window and marking a waypoint as they drive by. If they were forced to wait a month, they might put a little thought into their next hide, and the quality of the caches in your area would go up. The more quality caches you find the better you get at hiding.

Redefine the term "First to Find" to mean the first person to find the cache must put a nice prize in it. Something like a gold doubloon would be nice!  :blink:

John & Shirley

A gold dubloon!??! Yeah, I'll remember that the next time I have a few laying around that I need to get rid of....lol

j/k ya!

I thought the FTF didn't have to leave a trade? I musta missed something. :tired:

I plan on leaving a nice prize for my FTF cacher but I don't expect them to leave something in return. It would be a nice thing to do but not a requirement. Or should special prizes be left for the FTF's at all??? Seems like that would cause alot of people to go out only for the FTF's and the special prizes. Now I'm really confused as to whether I should leave anything more than maybe a certificate or something similar instead of a nice prize.

Oooohhh, we really didn't mean to confuse you...

We said that the First 'Finder' LEAVE the prize....not the owner.

It was in answer to Making Geocaching better...as in different?

This would eliminate the FTF competition. :o

~Shirley~

Redefine the term "First to Find" to mean the first person to find the cache must put a nice prize in it. Something like a gold doubloon would be nice!  :blink:

John & Shirley

j/k ya!

I thought the FTF didn't have to leave a trade? I musta missed something. :tired:

Oooohhh, we really didn't mean to confuse you...

We said that the First 'Finder' LEAVE the prize....not the owner.

It was in answer to Making Geocaching better...as in different?

This would eliminate the FTF competition. :o

~Shirley~

Hmmmm.....that's really something to think about now. I will probably never be a first finder at the current rate that I see others getting up in the middle of the night to be a FTF. Not that it matters to me that much anyway. But eliminating the competition might eliminate those out for only the really good prizes and give someone else a chance at being a FTF.

Good point, Shirley!

:tired: I would ban the people who say to ban McToys. I would also ban the people who would require a test before others could place a Geocache. Let us all remember that this is a "Hobby"! I would hate to see too many restrictions placed on this "Hobby" which would take away from the "Fun" that it provides my family. If what you want is a valuable treasure, there are plenty of sunken ships in the oceans with gold in them, go visit them. If what you are looking for is the ability to get outside get some excercise and spend time with your family by locating a Geocache then quit whining. My question is: what constitutes a good trade? Is gold at a good price right now? Maybe something platinum or fine silver even! This is my first post to the forums basically because I do not normally like to acknowledge some fo the crap that is said in here. Some of you need to get a life and quit crying. That is all!

Here's a novel idea for the site. Write a program that checks content of posts. Then, whenever someone whines about their/or any travel bugs, a pop up window appears showing an animation of a cute kitten being ummmmm, demised in some way. There could be a few different ANIMATIONS and then a scrolling message would appear under their warn meter stating very clearly:

Every time you whine about a travel bug, God kills a kitten.

BTW- For the record that was ANIMATION. I don't need email from P.E.T.A.

Here's a novel idea for the site. Write a program that checks content of posts. Then, whenever someone whines about their/or any travel bugs, a pop up window appears showing an animation of a cute kitten being ummmmm, demised in some way. There could be a few different ANIMATIONS and then a scrolling message would appear under their warn meter stating very clearly:

Every time you whine about a travel bug, God kills a kitten.

BTW- For the record that was ANIMATION. I don't need email from P.E.T.A.

please, not the car clip. :o

Limit people to one cache placement a month. Quality over quantity.

Flame on

Woo-woo! Gotta agree to that one! We've got some chronics out here in HoosierLand that are packing the woods with micros and the like trying to get their counts up.

I don't mind the occassional micro but putting a breath strip container in some shrubbery hardly seems worth anyone's time.

Micros are for people who are to cheap to visit the dollar store.

I agree somewhat. I don't really see the point of micros. They are too easy to set out. Pick a bigger cache container and give yourself a challenge at hiding it, for pete's sakes! :tired:

Maybe micros should be no smaller than a film canister?

Edited by PandyBat

I agree somewhat. I don't really see the point of micros. They are too easy to set out. Pick a bigger cache container and give yourself a challenge at hiding it, for pete's sakes! :tired:

Maybe micros should be no smaller than a film canister?

Every cache has it's place, and micros simply should not be placed in areas where a regular sized cache can be placed. Sticking a micro made out of tree bark to a tree in a 5,000 acre forest is just plain stupid. :blink: