Cache Adoption Thread

beckerbuns

Hemlock and anyone else who moderates here...

I was wondering if our region could have a cache adoption/abandonment thread that is pinned to the top, like the Northwest region does.

We have LOTS of abandoned caches around here, for sure, and probably there are other ones in this region that could use some attention.

Thanks for your consideration...

Good idea Becky. Coincidentally I started cleaning up the list of abandoned caches that I started a few months ago. I'll post it here soon.

The following was shamelessly stolen from the above mentioned thread in the Northwest forum.

This thread will be for the admins to post information on caches that need to be rescued and or adopted.

If you know of a cache that needs adopting you can also post that here. This is not a place to complain about caches. We want to be proactive about preventing geolitter in the West and Southwest.

Edited by Hemlock

I was just going to post on the SW forums, but BB told me about this thread. The abandoned Urban Assaults are turning into junk, many of them with moldy and wet logs. Not being one to enjoy a micro in the alley behind a store my action would be to retrieve them and ask they be archived, but maybe someone that enjoys micros would like to take these over? If not would it be wrong to start collecting what is now turning into trash?

BTW I e-mailed Ruprex and it bounced back.

Would it makes sense to broaden the thread to something more general, like "cache help/maintenance needed"? For example, I've recently encountered:

- A cache that was listed as pillaged in one log and then missing in the next and final log, so presumably it's still missing (I haven't gone to look for this one) and two notes asking the owner for updates have no response as of yet.

- Another cache that was listed as being in a thrashed/cracked tupperware container, then was found scattered all over the nearby trail, then DNF'd by the last two people who went to look for it (myself included.)

- Caches with full disposable cameras.

It seems like there are a lot of regular cachers here in the San Jose area that could help out with some of these if the owners can't go themselves or could use a hand with something.

I love the idea of being able to "adopt" caches. I can see where it might burden those of you with 25+ hides already to take over yet more caches, but as a relatively new but active member, I've run across several cache locations that I would have liked to plant a cache in -- only someone else already had. Then to get to the cache and find it in poor shape... It seems like a great way to learn about owning/maintaining a cache without the problem of being too naive and placing it in a bad area! I personally wouldn't mind taking over Paseo De Padre in San Benito County since its a great hike and almost on my way to "the weekend house" in Monterey. :(

I did UA #5 today. The log was pretty full but other than that it was in fine shape and it has 5 finds in the last two weeks.

The first order of business would seem to be to try to get in touch with Ruprex before proceeding with any unilateral archiving. On the one hand you said your email to him had bounced, but I also noticed that his last visit has changed to today, so he may be reachable yet somehow.

If the UA series (or other caches that are still serviceable) are to be archived it would be nice to have some warning (2 weeks?) for those of us who haven't been to them.

Speaking for myself, I'm not interested in adopting a lot of urban micros.

I'd take over urban micros, provided they are in an area of urbanity I frequent. That said, the UA series is probably not the best location for me at the moment, although after I visit one or two of the remaining ones I might feel differently... I drive through there on a weekly to monthly basis, travel schedule permitting. Any micros in San Francisco/Daly City need adopting?

If it gets to the point that it needs to be adopted I would be willing to adopt the Urban Assault series. I travel to San Jose quite frequently as there is family there. (atleast once a month if not twice) The only problem I have is that I would need to know where they are as I have never found them myself yet. Let me know if it is needed.

I wouldn't want to adopt it. I would rather hide a new cache elsewhere in the park as a film canister thrown in the rosemary just isn't too appealing to most

If you adopt a cache, then why not replace the container, I adopted "Dirty Rock" from a cacher who moved away, and I replaced the plastic jug with an ammo can. Then I filled the jug with trash on my way off the beach.

I seem to remember that Hemlock posted a cache page that was a goto for adopting caches, located somewhere on the SF peninsula. I'd like to adopt MMM-The Magic Movie Maze (GCG3YA) from my friend, DayDream. She has moved out of the area & no longer does geocaching. I'm already maintaining the cache, but I'd like to get it on my account.

If anyone in the SF Bay Area has helpful info, lemme know. Thanks.

GCB6A2

This cache has been unactive for 8 Months and the owners have not beenon site since Feb. It needs to go...

Or needs to be replaced. I have not yet fouind it otherwise I would replace it and adopt it myself.... If anyone else has found it and wants to adopt it then great. Otherwise it may need to get archived .

This cache has been unactive for 8 Months and the owners have not beenon site since Feb.  It needs to go...    Or needs to be replaced.

I'll stop in a verify the next time I'm passing by. The cache is likely still there but it's beating you Camel! <_< Stay tuned for a spoiler - dirrect. :D

I haven't gone out there to be beaten. If it is still there I will go find it. HAHA I have no problems with that B):mad:

I just got tired of seeing a non active cache on my list for so long :)

I would like to adopt this one. It was hidden in July 2003, with no one finding it until we did a couple of weeks ago.. it had been chewed up by animals (it was hidden with bags of chips in it, and there was a mess of paper and platic near the spot we found it)

The owner has not logged into the site since Sepember of 2003, and the e-mail that I sent was returned unopened.

T120 CCV

by BSA Troop 120 In California, United States Hidden: 7/25/2003

Use waypoint: GCGHJW (what's this?)

I have noticed JaimeeG has archived all his virtual caches. How can I adopt two of these? One I may be able to place a physical in but the other I cannot. I would hate to have these two excellent virtuals be lost. Any solutions? The caches I would like to adopt are GCC581 Lenny Jind (cannot place physical, private property issues) and the other is GC42A9 O' Pioneers (I may, and thats a BIG MAY, be able to place a micro here).

Peace!

In my opinion you dont need anyones permission to addopt a cache, just go and start taking care of it...

I've done that myself. I recently replaced a cracked 35mm film canister cache with one I happened to have rattling around in my car.

Agreed. Been there. Done that. The only problem could be if the cachers drops out (such as my firend - JaimeeG). Otherwise, I say take care of them when you're with a cache (hunting) AND any time you can help there after.

I have a bunch of nice cache containers and starter sets ready to go for caches that I notice need attention (in Santa Cruz County mostly). I plan to fix up or replace if the owner appears inactive. If it the cache is missing altogether, I don't know what I should do. I would DEARLY LOVE to adopt some of these that seem to have missing owners. :o

It is highly irritating to me to see caches in our area that remain deactivated for sometimes over a year and the list owner does nothing. And there are others that obviously need to be deactivated, according to log notes, which are not. Can't the administration do something about this? My suggestion is to give an ultimatum to the cache owners "if the cache is missing and not replaced or archived within 3 months (regardless of whether or not you bothered to deactivate it) the administration will archive it". My 2 cents! - Chickasaw

Can't the administration do something about this?

Post a Should Be Archived note to the page. This will generate an email that goes out to the approvers. If no action is taken within a week or so, feel free to email us with a list of caches. We try to check on disabled caches as we are doing approvals, but we obviously cannot check the entire state, so any help we can get would be appreciated.

Ummm...relative newbie here. I don't think there are any abandoned caches in my area yet (still seems relatively new here), but I'd be willing to take some on. While we COULD list them by name here, it's kinda tough to wade through the posts to find those near us. How about including the ZIP code or nearby city in addition to the name of the cache?

QUOTE (GeoROCKS! @ Aug 16 2004, 08:25 AM)

QUOTE (WRITE SHOP ROBERT @ Jun 11 2004, 12:34 AM)

In my opinion you dont need anyones permission to addopt a cache, just go and start taking care of it... 

I've done that myself. I recently replaced a cracked 35mm film canister cache with one I happened to have rattling around in my car. 

Agreed. Been there. Done that. The only problem could be if the cachers drops out (such as my firend - JaimeeG). Otherwise, I say take care of them when you're with a cache (hunting) AND any time you can help there after.

Other problem with "adopting" without becoming the "owner" is that if another cacher is trying to e-mail/contact the cache owner with a problem, the "adopter" does not get the notification... eg: cacher thinks cache may be AWOL or "no tresspassing" signs may have appeared (or as is often the case, maybe wants a better hint from the owner ;) or maybe wants to confirm coordinates for a puzzle cache) and e-mails the owner instead of posting to the cache page. The "Adopter" would never be able to respond.

So, yes, an adopter can certainly keep a cache clean and hidden well, but the adopter is unable to update the cache page with changing conditions.

Other problem with "adopting" without becoming the "owner" is that if another cacher is trying to e-mail/contact the cache owner with a problem, the "adopter" does not get the notification... eg: cacher thinks cache may be AWOL or "no tresspassing" signs may have appeared (or as is often the case, maybe wants a better hint from the owner :lol: or maybe wants to confirm coordinates for a puzzle cache) and e-mails the owner instead of posting to the cache page. The "Adopter" would never be able to respond.

So, yes, an adopter can certainly keep a cache clean and hidden well, but the adopter is unable to update the cache page with changing conditions.

From the book of Geo-Myths... the "adopter" does not get the notifications.

The truth is the adopter does get the email.

I took over the CVC Tag!!! cache from Georgeandmary and can tell you first hand... anyone clicking on the profile gets my mug shot. Also, I have full ability to edit, delete, etc the cache. One of the first things I edited was the section that states who placed the cache. I added a note that I'm the manager so even if a cachers decides to go dirrect, they'll see I'm the guy to go to.

Adoption is an option.

[bTW, For the record... CVC Tag!!! cache was forced into adoption because Georgeandmary aren't caching these days and the new/evolving Geo-rules force the owner to be active. That is to say this moving cache (which was grandfathered past the new rules) must have the posted coordinates updated on each find! The system worked just fine for a couple years without all the updates (which are done manually) but since one cacher complained, it had to be changed. - Can you tell the requirement doesn't sit well with us! :) ]

Other problem with "adopting" without becoming the "owner" is that if another cacher is trying to e-mail/contact the cache owner with a problem, the "adopter" does not get the notification... eg: cacher thinks cache may be AWOL or "no tresspassing" signs may have appeared (or as is often the case, maybe wants a better hint from the owner :blink: or maybe wants to confirm coordinates for a puzzle cache) and e-mails the owner instead of posting to the cache page. The "Adopter" would never be able to respond.

From the book of Geo-Myths... the "adopter" does not get the notifications.

The truth is the adopter does get the email.

I took over the CVC Tag!!! cache from Georgeandmary and can tell you first hand... anyone clicking on the profile gets my mug shot. Also, I have full ability to edit, delete, etc the cache. One of the first things I edited was the section that states who placed the cache. I added a note that I'm the manager so even if a cachers decides to go dirrect, they'll see I'm the guy to go to.

Adoption is an option.

[bTW, For the record... CVC Tag!!! cache was forced into adoption because Georgeandmary aren't caching these days and the new/evolving Geo-rules force the owner to be active. That is to say this moving cache (which was grandfathered past the new rules) must have the posted coordinates updated on each find! The system worked just fine for a couple years without all the updates (which are done manually) but since one cacher complained, it had to be changed. - Can you tell the requirement doesn't sit well with us! :) ]

Bill they were referring to "adopting" the cache without actuallly having it moved over to your stats. such as the rofile would have still been going to george and mary but you were the one watching over the cache.

Bill they were referring to "adopting" the cache without actuallly having it moved over to your stats. such as the rofile would have still been going to george and mary but you were the one watching over the cache.

Yea, Camel got it right (May I call you Camel? :blink: I mean we don't know each other or anything and I'd hate to use the familiar form of your full geocaching name :blink: ) ....

I was refering to "just start maintaining it" as opposed having the

cache "transferred" to your account.

Edited by Sgt Stitches

Yea, Camel got it right (May I call you Camel? :blink: I mean we don't know each other or anything and I'd hate to use the familiar form of your full geocaching name :( ) ....

Cpl. Camel will do Sarge! :blink:

Camel is just fine thanks!

I do agree however that you don't need permission to take care of a cache! But you certianly would in order to do the full job.

Edited by Camel680

OK, That's like A Toast to Marky and Joani. The owner moved and I agreed to ''Watch'' the cache for them. Dirrect inquiries go to aargnpopo so I only get to read logs - which I respond to as needed (e.g., DNF's). That was a somewhat formal arraingment.

On the other hand, there's The Green One Returns where I know Matt is too busy and it's too far. I don't respond to those logs but I do ''Watch'' them and have stopped by a few times to help out. Matt has yet to be angry for saving him the fuel and time and a great Ripon cache is maintained. It's a informal win/win arraingment.

So how does one go about adopting a cache? I emailed the owner of GC4CC6 "Da Island Mon!" but have not gotten a respond. This was the first cache I actually found and it was a great cache. Recently read that it was archived because it was destroyed I have a new and improved container for the spot and would love to put it back together.

I am knew to the forums and only a handful of finds but now that I am getting better it's been a lot more fun.

Always responsive to emails and I have had the same email address since 1995.

Best,

James

So how does one go about adopting a cache? I emailed the owner of GC4CC6 "Da Island Mon!" but have not gotten a respond. This was the first cache I actually found and it was a great cache. Recently read that it was archived because it was destroyed I have a new and improved container for the spot and would love to put it back together.

I am knew to the forums and only a handful of finds but now that I am getting better it's been a lot more fun.

Always responsive to emails and I have had the same email address since 1995.

Best,

James

If it was archived I would just create a new cache there. And you can name it in honor of the first one you found or something.

d011afe1-34cf-4cf1-8eca-256996d61708.jpg

I would like to adopt Cache: GC27F3 Vegamaca""

The cache is owned by Xavier and it appears that this cache has ben abandoned.

I haved visited this cache two times. Once back in July, 2003 and about a month ago in early Oct., 2004.

This cache is located in San Diego's Cuyamaca State Park. All of this park was ravaged by a wildfire back in Oct. 2003. The part was closed for 7 months, but parts of the park started to be reopened this past June (2004)

When I revisited this cache site, the only thing that was left of the cache was a rusted out metal coffee can. The lid and all the contents of the cache were burned and destroyed.

I took the liberty of replacing the container, putting in a new log book, and adding a bunch of new trade items.

I emailed "Xavier" so they could make the updated changes to the cache, but they have yet to respond.

I looked at "Xavier" 's profile and it seems they are very inactive in Geocaching. This cacher had 5 months, since the park reopened, to check on and replace this cache. Though, like I said before, thiscache appears to have been adandoned.

I am pretty sure Xavier does not live in San Diego. And this cache was approved before the rule of NO vacation/out of town caches.

I just placed a new cache Phoenix of the Cuyamacas about .12 miles from this one. So I am able to do maintenance on both caches.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would transfer the cache ownership over to me.

Edited by Bob&3LittleBears

Hey, not trying to nag here, but am I going to get a response to my 11/11/04 post?

I already email contact@Groundspeak.com about this.

They emailed me back saying that I had to have a local approver OK it first. So I emailed two Admins that approve caches here in California. I never heard back from them.

So I need decided to post my request here.

Can I please get a response?

Sorry, Bob & the 3 Little Bears, if your request slipped through the cracks. This thread was a great idea in theory, but its just not being monitored regularly by any of the admins, so I'm going to un-pin it and let it slip away.

Instead, please follow the instructions I linked to a few posts up, and I'll try to expand upon here:

If it is a consensual adoption, that is both the old and new owner are active and agree to the adoption, please send an email to contact at Geocaching dot com with the waypoint name of the cache (GCXXXX) and the username of the new owner. Please also include copies of any emails from the other party to show consent.

If the original owner is not active, then the Groundspeak personnel that monitor the contact address prefer to get the local reviewer involved, as he or she may have other information about the cache or cacher that is not evident from looking at the cache page. So if you want to adopt a cache where the owner is no longer active, and/or is not answering emails, please email your local reviewer. Again, please include the waypoint name for the cache (GCXXXX), and any history you have in your attempts to contact the owner, or any history of the reason for adoption. The reviewer will look into your request and if it looks good, will forward it to Groundspeak.

Sorry, Bob & the 3 Little Bears, if your request slipped through the cracks. This thread was a great idea in theory, but its just not being monitored regularly by any of the admins, so I'm going to un-pin it and let it slip away.

Hey! This could still be a good thread; the approver(s) just need to subscribe to it so they can keep track!

No, it's okay, it hasn't been a very active thread anyway. It was a good idea that sort of outlived its usefulness (everyone got to vent and then they quieted down)...

Hemlock and anyone else who moderates here...

I was wondering if our region could have a cache adoption/abandonment thread that is pinned to the top, like the Northwest region does.

We have LOTS of abandoned caches around here, for sure, and probably there are other ones in this region that could use some attention.

Thanks for your consideration...

I am going to be moving away from San Francisco and have two physical caches (both puzzles). In looking at 'adoption' it seems that I need to find someone, but how do I advertise my need? I can always kill them, the caches, not the other cachers...