Contact Information In A Cache

PandyBat

I am preparing my first cache to hide. I have a stashnote printed out. Should I put my contact information on it as well, just in case it needs to be removed or whatnot? I am leary of leaving my phone number on it but I would be willing to put my email address on it. But then, people without a computer would have a hard time reaching me. Do any of you put contact information in a cache and if so, what kind of information do you leave?

I guess it'd depend on where you hid the cache.

My only hide so far is in my front yard, and in a tree at that. Noone's going to stumble across it accidentally, so I didn't put any info on it.

If I hid it in the woods, that'd be a different story.

I posted my full contact info inside my cache (name, phone, email, GC.com username).

I figured anyone who found it wouldn't start calling and asking what I'm wearing, but if a city worker found it (it's in a city park), they might call to have me remove it, rather than just throwing the whole thing away.

It's pretty hard to do geocaching without a computer. How else are you going to get the cache information? I suppose you could get them from a friend, but I think that's pretty rare. Just an email address should be sufficient. With a phone number, you can get an address very easily just by typing it into Google or Yahoo.

It's pretty hard to do geocaching without a computer. How else are you going to get the cache information? I suppose you could get them from a friend, but I think that's pretty rare. Just an email address should be sufficient. With a phone number, you can get an address very easily just by typing it into Google or Yahoo.

Although I tend to leave an email address, it's not necessarily going to be enough. The problem is not geocachers stumbling across the cache, but those unfamiliar with the game, so assuming that they have email access is less of a safe bet. However, in the end, I don't think I want my phone number sitting out there, whatever I'm wearing.

While an e-mail address is nice, it's not going to help in "an emergency" when I'm not home and online!!! Website info would probably be better as it's "always on". I just with the bomb squads would use some common sense before they go all out. After two or three of these explosions you would think every bomb squad would know about us already.

I have my e-mail address (a generic forwarding address) listed on all my geocaches. I want to have contact info available should somebody need to reach me about one of my caches, but I wont leave any further personal info besides that. If a person finding the cache doesnt have e-mail, I'm sure they have a friend that does.

We have not hidden our first cache yet, but I would like to offer the following. The first cache that I found was a class act cache. It was an ammo box, properly placed, with quality stuff inside. I don't remember how the outside of the cache was marked, but the inside had the hiders name, email address, and phone number. Later in our geocaching we were doing a multi-cache hidden by the same hider. One of the stages was a micro that had leaked during heavy storms. The paper was wet and the ink ran. We could not make out the information needed to complete the final stage of the multi. Through the geocaching web site I sent the hider a couple of emails that were never answered. Finally I decided that I would go back to my first cache which I remembered having his direct email address and phone number. I sent a direct email that was not answered. But the phone call got through and the user was very helpful in providing the information and fixing the micro cache.

Now that we are getting ready to hide our first couple of caches, I too am considering how to mark our caches. Working in public safety, I see two concerns: 1. I want public safety officials, land managers, geocachers, and concerned others to have a direct way to reach me. 2. I do not want to reveal information that could put me or my family at risk. I have decided that a disposable yahoo account that I monitor daily and a cell phone number for my personal cell phone with voice mail is the way to go. I will also mark the outside of the cache with geocaching, the cache name, etc. Just some thoughts to consider.