some equipment suggestions

Guest [III]Rick OShea

Guest [III]Rick OShea

-MAP & COMPASS

always have a 'plan b'

-WATER

Hydrate or die. I use a 2 litre nylon covered MSR Dromedary in a daypack.

-PACKABLE FOOD

Sure you're not hungry, NOW.....

-PEN & PAPER

Cache log might be full.

-1 OR 2 ZIPLOCK FREEZER (tougher)BAGGIES

In case cachebag is ripped or full

-GROUND PROBE

a section of coathanger attached to a stick. when the probe touches a solid object under earth or leaves, you can feel it. faster and safer than hands. ( glass, critters, etc. )

-2 OLD SCREWDRIVERS

great climbing aid on dirt hills.

-A STRONG FLASHLIGHT

Night has a way of sneaking up on some of us.

I use a BLT bike helmet lamp strapped to my left shoulderstrap, for hands free no tangle view.

-GARDENING OR WORK GLOVES

Brambles. Ouch.

-INSECT REPELLANT

-SOLID FOOTWEAR

Ideally boots - hiking, work, or combat. Sprained ankles suck. Guess how I learned that?

-HAT WITH BRIM

crushable is good. anything that shades your noggin. Sunstroke/heatstroke sux. Guess how I learned that?

-PLASTIC BAGS

for muddy boots (car)

-CLEAN FOOTWEAR

for the trip home (car)

-BUDDY

Ecclesiastes 4:9,10 icon_smile.gif

-FIRST AID KIT

Hey. Be prepared. You might encounter a lion with a thorn in it's paw or a fallen fellow geocacher.

Some of these may seem excessive, but I'm a camper and mountainbiker. Most people take on progressively bigger challenges. Someone has to be able to compensate for mishap, not just for themself but for others as well, IMHO.

Oh, the III is Iron Ivy Inc. in case you wondered.

happy trails!

[This message has been edited by [iII]Rick OShea (edited 12 June 2001).]

Guest [III]Rick OShea

I was going to say T.P. but I thought - ' well where will it end if I let myself run off at the - um - keyboard? '

how bout.....

-FRESH UNDERWEAR

in case you end up going to the hospital

-PASSPORT

for when you run into those pesky customs officials in the bush

-ORANGE SAFETY VEST

those pesky deerhunters.

-IMAGE INTENSIFIER GOGGLES

in case cache is haunted ie ghosts.

-BODYGUARD

those pesky cache thugs.

-MOOSE REPELLANT

we don't want to get trampled do we?

-FRISBEE

in case we don't find the cache

-LIFEJACKET

in case of hazerdous water crossing ie large puddle

-KEVLAR SUIT

really BIG brambles

-SWISS ARMY KNIFE

You never know. Besides, McGuyver had one.

-PARACHUTE

Well, the last cache I did was GC3BF and I always wanted to try basejumping.

-MONGOOSE

those pesky cobras.

-HEV SUIT

self explanatory

-SNOWSHOES

Canadian weather is SO unpredictable.

-LOUDSPEAKER ("bullhorn")

so you can still chat with your buddy when you split up.

-FLARE PISTOL

in case you get lost / those pesky brambles

-FIRE EXTINGUISHER

see previous.

-MARSHMALLOWS

in case the fire extinguisher doesn't work out.

-WALTHER PPK

those pesky spies.

-SWORD

those pesky ninjas

-RUBBER CHICKEN

those pesky SCA people

-CORDLESS HEDGETRIMMER

did I mention brambles?

-METAL DETECTOR

but what if the cache is in a plastic container?

-PLASTIC DETECTOR

obvious.

Ok I think I'm ready now.

Where'd everybody go?

Guest Snowtrail

How about letting somebody not going on the trip know where you're going. Even if you're with a buddy, it's a good thing to leave a note behind in case something happens to the both of you.

Guest chipper

Gotta bring your 44 mag. I know everyone thinks I'm joking but I was stalked by a pack of wolves while out on a cache. This was a case where the old saying that, "the animals are more afraid of you than you are of them" is just not true. And also had a case where I ran into a guy that looked like he was right out of the cast of "Deliverance". All he needed was a kid playing a banjo in the background. Spooky, but then again I live in Idaho.

Guest [III]Rick OShea

e gun counter a story about when they were way up north and a polar bear started coming around their campsite. Well, one of them loaded up his shotgun with some special cartriges he had hand-loaded for just such an occasion. Instead of buckshot or slug, he loaded them with NICKELS - that's right - .05 cent pieces. Why, he just marched right out and shot that bear just under the chin, and the nickels penetrated the fur and sliced through the bear's innards like razorblades. That bad old bear just dropped lik a a sack of potatoes... Is it just my imagination or do I smell a taaaaaaaaaaaaaaal story? The clerk noticed me and asked if he could help me. I asked if he had anything like a Steyr-Manlichter SSG .308 bolt-action with fixed 20 power scope. He apologetically said they don't carry anything like that. I might have heard 2 sets of jaws hitting the counter as I walked away.... ( about a $3000. rifle, of the sort an ETF / SWAT sniper might use. )

The only guns I REALLY own are paintball guns. :>

oh... relevence to Geocaching... um...

don't put guns in caches....

Guest Quinnow

Heck...thats too bad! Here in the US and mostly in NewYork and California, you can buy handguns anywhere. Just ask any 16 year old kid, most of them have them anyways and can most likely point you to someone who would sell you one real cheap! Ahhh...the good ol days when we used to just carry packpacks to school, now we still carry the backpack put we just add uzi's to it! icon_biggrin.gif

Our laws here in the states are so messed up it's become funny. We have the time and expenses to pay Rangers to go out and pick up all the harmless caches in the parks that belong to us anyways, but we still can't seeem to keep guns out of kids hands.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Common senses....

I did a few days climbing, and landed in 350,000 bikers in New Hampshire. Not a problem , grey haired guys asking for cell phone coverage and " will my card cover this? "

GPS was minor !