Portland Cache Machine

travisl

We did this one long before any other cachers hit the area on Saturday, but had to work pretty hard to find a legal parking spot. The one we found was just off of an extremely busy road with enough room for about three cars.

It's probably not quite fair for you, as the cache owner, to place the entirety of the blame on cachers seeking your cache as to why it may need to be disabled.

Maybe as you revisit the issues surrounding this cache, you could find a place in the park to hide your cache that has a less-ambiguous starting point.

Perhaps you could take the time to list parking coordinates in your cache page.

-=-

michelle

That is disappointing, but as a member of one of the groups that did trespass briefly on the driveway, it's tough not to do just that if you end up on the wrong side of the creek. We mistakenly walked through the lower field, and were looking for a way uphill to get to the cache location. From the lower field, the driveway looks no different than the paved path -- although it's not connected to the path -- and there were no signs visible from that approach indicating that it's private property. The house isn't visible from there either. We assumed that it was part of the park, and that the driveway mentioned in the forums and on the page was further away.

As soon as we realized we were on the driveway (within 15 seconds of stepping onto it, which was when the beagle started barking and the beagle's owner pointed out our mistake), we backtracked and approached from the upper field (which, from where we parked, wasn't the intuitive approach, and we were surprised that it even existed once we found it). As we got to within 50 feet of the cache area, we could see the driveway and "private property" signs, and the beagle began to bark again. We didn't approach the property boundary this time, and found the cache.

I'm sure if I was hunting this one myself, I'd have made the exact same mistake.

Disabling the cache may be a good idea. A better idea may be if the property owner places signage or other markings indicating the property boundary.

I suspect this isn't much different of a case than when a nearby homeowner was upset with the cars coming and going in their cul de sac, in spite of the fact that the public trail access to a public park was located next to their house. (I think this was the "Elbow Room" cache, but I'm not certain of it). Some folks don't like when we use public property next to their private property, especially if our presence sets their dogs into barking fits.

Aaah yes, the barking dogs. Elbow room was a cache that had it's fair share of barking dogs. That cache was a very good one indeed. Public street, public park, don't like visitors then you can purchase a home in the country and build tall fences.

We had a great time Travis and I honestly didn't really expect to. I thought it would be ok and that's about it. But in my mind it was a huge success. What's your schedule for upcoming machines?

We had a great time Travis and I honestly didn't really expect to.  I thought it would be ok and that's about it.  But in my mind it was a huge success.  What's your schedule for upcoming machines?

Having not previously participated in a CM myself, I was also pleasantly surprised at how much fun there was to be had. I was extra-specially disappointed I'd arranged it so that I had one day to cache w/o the group (Friday) and one day to try it with (Saturday) because after spending Saturday running around like a crazy woman, I'da REALLY liked to have been there on Sunday.

I am definitely planning on going again should the schedule allow.

Travis' plans are all revealed on this page!

-=-

michelle

Thank you Michelle, it's on my favorites list now.

I see he only has 4 or 5 scheduled every year. What a shame that he's such a slacker ;)

We thought about putting one on here in the Rogue Valley as there are tons of caches with very little traffic but I'm afraid we've decided we don't have the abilities of Travis.

Oh by the way, where is this Tri_Cities??????

The Tri-Cities is trying to get ready for the CacheMachine....

YeOleImposter will make sure that the local cachers have things ready.

YeLittleImposters are already thinking of spots to set up lemonade stands ;) for those who are not used to 80 degree weather at the end of September.

YeLittleImposters are already thinking of spots to set up lemonade stands ;) for those who are not used to 80 degree weather at the end of September.

80 degrees? That will be a welcome relief to us Rogue Valley cachers. We will be thirsty though. Maybe the little ones should set up by a difficult to find cache so they can sell secrets along with lemonaide.

The residents of the property were mad about the cachers who crossed through their yard and jumped over their bushes to enter the park.

Ah. Wouldn't have been my group, then. We parked uphill, and didn't come through the bushes that are within 75 feet of the cache. That'd be silly.

I need to update that page. Nanaimo doesn't have enough caches to warrant a machine, and I'm guessing they still won't even in spring 2007. My no-find count is higher (105, I think). And I need to add Rest In Peace and a couple more to my top 5% list.

By the way, I just created my first Tri-Cities pocket query. It's definitely a machineable area.

Looks good. I'm hoping to be there again. That is if I finish logging my finds from last weekend by then!!

I hope you're right about the 80 degrees YeOleImposter. 80 I can handle. It's the 90s that it can get up there that would do me in.

By the way, I just created my first Tri-Cities pocket query.  It's definitely a machineable area.

Looks good. I'm hoping to be there again. That is if I finish logging my finds from last weekend by then!!

I hope you're right about the 80 degrees YeOleImposter. 80 I can handle. It's the 90s that it can get up there that would do me in.

Just pulled this off the Weather Underground for 09/25/2003:

09/25/2003:

Max Temperature 91 °F / 32 °C

Min Temperature 51 °F / 10 °C

Average for 09/25:

Max Temperature 76 °F / 24 °C

Min Temperature 48 °F / 8 °C

Record for 09/25:

Max Temperature 91 °F / 32 °C (1974)

Min Temperature 32 °F / 0 °C (1970)

About 300 miles and about 4 1/2 hours along I-84 and I-82.

Hmmm 300 miles might be a bit farther than I hoped but, I might be able to swing both areas at the same time. Do the machine, do Boise.....

There are some nice caches along the way - especially if you take the scenic route along old highway 30.

Total for the weekend...all caches combined...110 caches. Didn't get as many as MTB,but I did some hiking ones. One day just had 4 finds...all day...going after still Virgin Defiance Cache....clsoing in on 2 years unfound. I was hoping to put my 100 FTF on that one. Hiked 14 miles RT for that one and 5 K elevation gain. There are three other caches up there so it made for a fun trip.

I probably had 6 or 7 DNFs and one note...poison oak related

Edited by evergreenhiker!

I noticed that quite a few folks logged the Willamette Stone 'benchmark' http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=RD3152 while doing the PCM.

If you read the text of the NGS Datasheet it describes the benchmark thus:

THE STATION MARK IS AN 8-INCH SQUARE STONE POST, BEVELED AT THE TOP, PROJECTING 16 INCHES ABOVE THE GROUND. BASE LINE IS ENGRAVED ON THE E AND W SIDES AND WIL MER ON THE N AND S SIDES. A SMALL HOLE WHERE THE BRASS SCREW HAD BEEN SET IS IN THE APEX OF THE STONE.

What we all found was a stainless steel cap placed in the mid 1980s.

If you are tracking benchmarks you should log this as either a DNF or as 'Destroyed'

If you are tracking benchmarks you should log this as either a DNF or as 'Destroyed'

Destroyed? It looked alive and well when I was there. I don't think the recovery notes often comprise the complete history of a monument. I'll be interested to see your own recovery note appear on the data sheet saying it is destroyed.

Destroyed? It looked alive and well when I was there. I don't think the recovery notes often comprise the complete history of a monument. I'll be interested to see your own recovery note appear on the data sheet saying it is destroyed.

I sure did not see a "8-INCH SQUARE STONE POST" if you can show me a photo of it I will change my log :( The steel cap we saw was placed in the 1980s - not 1903 - If the NGS did record this it would be as a 'RESET' just like many marks that are destroyed and replaced by another benchmark.

What we saw is simply a tourist attraction placed by the parks department at a historical site.

I sure did not see a "8-INCH SQUARE STONE POST" if you can show me a photo of it I will change my log

Since you read my post so carefully, you know quite well that I never claimed to have seen an "8-INCH SQUARE STONE POST", nor did I suggest that you change your log. It was you who were suggesting that others change theirs.

Of course I and everyone on this forum knew that information and advice was not the primary purpose of your post. So at the risk of getting my first forum warning I'll just make a sly and oblique reference to a very politically incorrect joke about arguments on the internet and the Special Olympics, and leave you in command of the field.

I sure did not see a "8-INCH SQUARE STONE POST" if you can show me a photo of it I will change my log

Since you read my post so carefully, you know quite well that I never claimed to have seen an "8-INCH SQUARE STONE POST", nor did I suggest that you change your log. It was you who were suggesting that others change theirs.

Of course I and everyone on this forum knew that information and advice was not the primary purpose of your post. So at the risk of getting my first forum warning I'll just make a sly and oblique reference to a very politically incorrect joke about arguments on the internet and the Special Olympics, and leave you in command of the field.

Oh well, I must be dense cause I am not following your arguement at all. I was just pointing out none of us actually found the 'benchmark' that is listed on the benchmark page. Not sure why the hostility.

Sorry I brought it up.

blindleader, I'm not sure what precipitated your belligerent post, but it was most certainly uncalled for. You owe YeOldeImposter an apology.

I'd like to remind everyone to read and follow the forum guidelines posted here. A very important section of those guidelines reads:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.