What are we called?

scontapay

People who aren't in to Geocaching will most likely call you "Dork" or "Nerd"...as I've been called....but that's not an official name for us. icon_biggrin.gif

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

You must remember those people who don't cache do not have a clue as to what we are doing and when you use words like "geocache" they have no clue what you are talking about, and when you say you are going to look for a "cache" they think you are going looking for money.

You need to bring it down to their level so they understand, what people don't understand they avoid most times.

On that not, rayt333 do you explain to people that ask what you are doing? Maybe if we take the time to explain they will understand or walk off and call us nerd, either way I really never cared for what people thought of me.

If it is fun and enjoyable, and gets me back outdoors I am all for it, and the financial hurdle for entry is very low cost. I must say I am suprised about the amount of caches located in my city. I already have two excursions planned this weekend for me and my son, thinking of adding a third because I just found out they have "for kids" cache hunts icon_smile.gif

Sam

--

"Geocaching is great! Have something to do with my son and get out an exercise"

Yes I do take the time to explain what goecaching is to anyone who is interested, I even carry cards I had printed up to help explain it which I give to them, most think it is a nice idea, but others just simply do not understand no matter what you say.

But yes I do try to explain and I have had many people who are interested in trying it.

rayt333 after reading my last post it seems it could be misconstrued as insinuating that you didn't, it was not. I mean to ask do you explain? If so, is it worth it? And how do you do it without making the description so biased it sounds bad to the listener.

I apologize if you felt I was attacking you I was not. I am new to this hobby and could use all the friends I can that are already in the hobby icon_smile.gif

Sam

--

I always explain what geocaching is if I have the time (or if the other person has the time to listen) but sometimes I have run into the type who simply because it was something new to them they wouldn't listen and look at you as if you said you were a terrorist or something. Some people are afraid of stuff they don't understand or are too closed mind to listen. Most people think it is a great idea but you will always have that 5% (or 1%, whatever) who will never understand.

I try to give them a card that explains what geocaching is with the web address to find out more info if they want.

I'd say about 60 percent of people that I explain geocaching to get that eyes glazed, "you lost me bud" attitude. Another 30 percent think it sounds like fun, but don't pursue it further. Of the remaining 10 percent, 9 percent are extremely interested, but that's as far as they go. So maybe 1 percent actually take up the sport.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. 0:

People who aren't in to Geocaching will most likely call you "Dork" or "Nerd"...as I've been called....but that's not an official name for us. icon_biggrin.gif

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

Hey, in this day in age, those terms are cool! icon_smile.gif Or at least the envy of the dumb jocks who partied too hard and can no longer tie their own shoe without stabbing themselves in the eye.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by scontapay:

Just browsed through the forums, faq, and glossary and trying to find out what a person is called who goes geocaching would it be "_geocacher_r"?

TIA

Sam

--

"

The name Geocacher is what I call myself, but if you tell that to the person on the street, you will get all kinds of looks. I once told a park ranger that I was a geocacher, and he spent 20 minutes showing me every book in the gift shop that was about rocks. I think it is better to tell someone who knows nothing of the sport, that you are on a GPS treasure hunter.

quote:
Originally posted by scontapay:

Just browsed through the forums, faq, and glossary and trying to find out what a person is called who goes geocaching would it be "_geocacher_r"?

If you are hunting for why there is a strange use of the letter "r" (ie:GPSr) it is to denote GPS Reciever. the "R" would not carry over to terms like "_geocacher_r"

quote:
Originally posted by SearchRescueDog:

If you are hunting for why there is a strange use of the letter "r" (ie:GPSr) it is to denote GPS Reciever. the "R" would not carry over to terms like "_geocacher_r"

Sorry that extra 'r' in there was a typo on my part trying to make geocacher when I typed it in italics.

Sam

--

Call me anything but late for dinner!!!Cacher or Geocacher as been said..spelled before.

THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL IN THE FOREST DOES NOT EVEN LIVE THERE*********WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS*GEOTRYAGAIN **1803-2003 "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" 200TH ANNIVERSARY AND THE "LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://lewisclark.goeg.missouri.edu http://www.lapurchase.org http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

I am pretty new to all this myself but I use "Cacher" And geek, dork, nerd, or whatever seems that since i've started and talked and showed pics to some friends that 3 of them have gone out and bought GPS's and i've went on their first finds with them and now they are addicted also.......... And the other day i was coming out of the woods at a rest stop Cache and was looking down and deleting my coords for the day when a car went by and someone yelled out the window "Cache on!!" I didnt know them but I gave a thumbs up and they honked. Quite a feeling that was, seems those that don't know about us DON'T KNOW.................. icon_smile.gif Howie57