Mapsource Canada Topo

PDOP's

.... It looks exatcly the same except for the shading for greenery.

Some of the roads, trails and other detailed info is also missing. It would be a must have for a mapping GPSr but it won't replace the other digital mapping available for desk top use.

I'm still looking for comments on how MapSource compares to other PC programs like Fugawi and Ozi for handling waypoints, routes and tracks.

I'm still looking for comments on how MapSource compares to other PC programs like Fugawi and Ozi for handling waypoints, routes and tracks.

Hi PDOP's. Mapsource does a decent job of handling waypoints, routes and tracks although I find that I usually will use Fugawi for most of my PC work when it comes to managing records of cache hunts and hikes. I use Mapsource mainly for road trip data for those non-caching occasions. It's easy to use and has all the tools that are needed. It's very good in how it handles the creating of mapsets for downloading to a GPSR. Combined with Canada Topo would make a pretty good program to have.

Cheers, Olar

Thanks Olar. I had thought at one point that MapSource/CanadaTopo might also be a replacement for Fugawi and other digital mapping. Looks like it might be acceptable at a basic level but won't replace the others for desk top use.

However, when I upgrade to a mapping unit it will be the first package I buy. :ph34r:

Maps are things that change often (I'm pretty sure there's a new road or a road that change name every day in Canada...) so maybe those people selling maps should start offering "online live update" for their maps. You launch the software on your PC and it downloads the updated map automatically. Then they charge 30$ a year for the service and they probably make as much money as selling a 200$ Map CD to a customer every 5 years. Does it make any sense? Does anyone offer such a service?

It's the long weekend and there's a heavy snowfall warning :huh: where I live along the eastern slopes of the Rockies so I'm staying inside and playing with maps

Here's another comparison this time in mountainous terrain with SoftMap (top) and TOPO Canada.

SMMS2.jpg

I LOVE my Topo Canada. It is very versatille, and with the contour lines, I can figure out where a cache is in mountainous terrain (which happens often along the Bruce Trail). My main point however is the subsribtion service for update maps as previously discussed-I LOVE THAT IDEA. I wonder if we could start a e-mail campaign to Garmin. Any takers?