The New Geocaching.com Front Page

Find Now, Log Later?

I notice the front page now lists the 20 most recent logs. Clicking on a link brings us to a list of the 100 most recent logs. That's a decrease of 50%. The locations of the caches are also no longer listed. These are not improvements, in my opinion.

I also think too much space is being allocated to "Upcoming Events." (Or perhaps just too much information is given.) I think the page would have a much more cohesive look if the "20 most recent logs" and "Upcoming Events" used similar formatting ... perhaps consisting of two lines of text.

Edited by Bassoon Pilot

I never even look at it...my computer takes me right to either My Cache Page or the forums. The front page always seemed to be more of an intro to visitors to me.

Compared with the sample I've seen I'd say it's not finished yet.

Bret

The history page now has 200 of the past logs. I was in the process of changing it when you posted this message.

The front page is now in dot net, and is consistent to the nearest cache page results for caches, and the log lists on the rest of the site. This is an interim page in preparation to the final redesign of the site, which will be available at another URL before we deploy it formally to www.geocaching.com

I'm almost done completely converting the site over to dot net. We're making some structural changes to the site that you won't see but will improve performance. After that we can add this kind of feature to the site.

So the short answer is yes, this is a good idea.

Made it nice to be able to take a quick glace at the home page and see if there were any new caches placed in my state.

Assuming WVDan means west virginia, you could just bookmark the state page since it shows the latest caches placed in your state.

You can get to the page by searching from state from the front page.

I'm not sure if he meant this - but I'd LOVE to see the recent LOGS by state (country for you folks outside the US).

I think that'd be a welcome addition the the state pages.

I'd also like to request that the recent logs on the "history" page list the state/country again... (it was fairly uninteresting to me before, but at least every now and then I could pick out a log from my state).

southdeltan

Adding those features will take some time, but I do want to have the country/state listed for each log. Once we get some of the issues done with performance on the site I'll be improving on the state pages, and adding country pages for those outside the US

Adding those features will take some time, but I do want to have the country/state listed for each log. Once we get some of the issues done with performance on the site I'll be improving on the state pages, and adding country pages for those outside the US

That's great news. Waiting won't be bad now that I know that it's on the "to do" list. <_<

southdeltan

On the State page, instead of seeing only a list of the latest 10 caches hidden, it would be nice to see a list of the last 7 days, where you could click on one of the last seven days and see a list of caches hid that day. Right now if they approve 15 caches today, but 2 were actually hid 2 days ago and 3 were hid yesterday, and the remaining 10 were hid today, you would never see the 5 listed that were hid prior to today, because they would already be off the list.

Just a thought:

Wouldn't it be nice if the information on the front page keyed off of my entered home coordinates?

For example: In my profile I could set a radius of interest then on the front page it would display info based on that radius

Up Coming Events

Recently Approved

Recent Logs

Recent Forum Postings (in my Area Topic, NE NW etc)

Or Maybe this might make a great TAB on the my Cache area?

Another thought... to drive more people to these forums perhaps you could display the Subject line of the 10 most recent postings.

Just a thought:

Wouldn't it be nice if the information on the front page keyed off of my entered home coordinates?

I disagree. The info on the front page is a nice way to get a - for lack of a better phrase - more global feel for geocaching, IMHO. I am already immersed in my local stuff.

Just a thought:

I disagree. The info on the front page is a nice way to get a - for lack of a better phrase - more global feel for geocaching, IMHO. I am already immersed in my local stuff.

I agree with the first poster about local content. What's the reason to go to the home page now? For me, I don't know of any. If there was relevant, targeted LOCAL info displayed, that might be a reason.

If I could see new local caches/events, new local logs and info/news related more specifically to me, I think I'd look at it more.

David

I don't like the new layout. I liked seeing the newest placed cahces on the front page. I also like to see the state on the latest cache logs page. I scan down the page looking for 'California', or any other stat that I've found caches in, and then looking that the cache name to see if it's a cache I've visited or have interest in. As it is now it's hard to do a quick scan.

*edit* Ok now that I've read all the previous replies I see that you plan to include the state.

Edited by TheWidget
Just a thought:

Ditto.

I saw a quote in the forums this week about how GeoCaching is a global game played on the local level. I like the front page because it's nice to see what the other players are up to. No, I don't log alot of finds, I don't own a lot of caches, and maybe if I was measuring numbers in the triple digits instead of 11 finds and 1 hide, it'd be different. But for now, I like seeing what else is going on.

Besides.. There's only so much local stuff. Not saying that's completely permanent and will never change, but if you're one of those people up there in numbers, there's only so much left locally.

I disagree, hehe :tired:

It's a complete waste of time me looking at it. I have my home page set to my "my cache page", where I find all the info I need. I really couldn't care less that 20 people have logged caches today, or that there are 10 events in (nearly always) the USA.

I don't need to buy a GPS with a "great deal", I have one already.

I don't want to go benchmark hunting in the US, that would be really rather expensive.

I also have a Geocaching account, and I'm a premium member.. hey wait, it knows that, I'm already logged in.

I'm looking forward to the newly revised main page, but for me, the "My Cache Page" is perfect.

Also, though the older page showed 200 logs, it only refreshed every 15 minutes. The new page refreshes every 2 minutes. I am considering making it an rss feed.

Great I was hoping RSS would come to geocaching! I am also hoping wap comes soon also.... I know there is a wap now but it doesn't like my phone! :tired:

Good arguments have been presented for a general, global front page (as it is now) and for a local page customized to the user's location. In my perfect world, the front page would be customizable by the user, with the default setting being the current generalized view. I'd prefer the local view: Show me just events and new cache logs within a 100 mile radius of my home.