Are You Paid To Surf The Gc.com Forums?

Just curious... I seem to notice a lot of the same people posting at the same times every day. I am lucky enough to have a job which permits me a fair amount of latitude to surf the forums each day (Can you all spell "Government"? :P ) and I was wondering how many others do the same, either with the blessing of their boss or on the sly... <_<

G-o-v-e-r-n-m-e-n-t.

Me too, but I only surf gc.com during lunch (or, on rare occasion, when I'm running a spreadsheet and can't really do anything until its done).

They have no problem with the surfing, as long as it's on my time, not theirs.

:P

Hey, #200, and I'm at work.

edited to add it was post #200. <_<

Edited by harleycache

I do but they dont know I do. Since when the boss walks by I run this little application..

Zig Zag

I used another one at one point though I dont recall the name and no longer run it, but it actually let me surf while inside excel, just a quick mouse stroke and I was back to my spreadsheet, quick mouse movement after they left and back to surfing.

No computer at the place where I stock shelves for hungry humans, except for the ones that you use for the grocery orders to the warehouse. Time and Date of every Keystroke is recorded, so would be a bad idea. I would need a wireless internet connection and a PDA so I could surf at work. Dont think that it would be good to lug a laptop to the grocery store. Are the forums readable on a wireless PDA?

Yep I'm here at work all the time. Fortunately/unfortunately I'm my boss, so I have to pay myself to be in these dadgum forums all day. I think I will fire myself. :P Hmmm... If I fire myself can I collect unemployment? That way I can get paid AND cache all day. <_<

I'm the entire IT department at my office. Part of my job is surfing the web, looking for utilities, software, hardware, etc. My computer wouldn't look right if it didn't have a browser window open...

That said, I don't hit these forums often from work. As for whether or not it's permissible, well, let's just say that the flow of spam or access to certain websites can vary wildly from person to person... :P<_<

Not government, but a contractor that supports the government. I can't do any posting, but I can read the forums. I can't seem to figure how or why they would do this, but our firewall will allow me to read pretty much any forum out there, but I can't post. Kinda odd, don't you think?

F_M

I do it at both places. At work, I often sit around for 12 to 14 hours a night, just waiting for a call to go fly. I have to do something, and there is a non-company computer available, so I'm often on the internet. This goes on for 7 straight nights, then I go home for 7 days, which is when I do my geocaching, honey-dos, and everything else.

Not government, but a contractor that supports the government. I can't do any posting, but I can read the forums. I can't seem to figure how or why they would do this, but our firewall will allow me to read pretty much any forum out there, but I can't post. Kinda odd, don't you think?

Not really. Blocking posting is trivial if you're forcing your users through a proxy. There's always a way around any type of blocking mechanism, though, if you're clever enough and can afford the possibility of getting caught doing it.

As for the reason - you said that you're a contractor working for the government. If you (or anyone in the facility you work at) does work on anything sensitive, there's your reason. You could be posting gibberish to the gc.com forums, or you could be posting secrets to an enemy's server.

Slow servers and several GB data files mean I have time to do other things while the numbers crunch in the background.

I already read all the technical papers and trade magazines on my desk. I'm bored with the on-line courses and tutorials.

What else is there to do?

i read and post during my exceptionally generous 20 minute lunch. which starts five minutes late and ends seven minutes early. then i'm free to read and post again when i'm done for the day.

it's MY lunch break. if i do not get to spend it as i please, i'm good fer nothing for the rest of the day. of course, part of doing what i please involves using the bathroom, which i do not get to do during the rest of the day.