Updating My Magellan

I need to update my Magellan meridians software (firmware) so it can use the mapping software. I went to their web site but I have been unable to make the download work. I have an update CD that came with streets and destinations software. but I remember reading somewhere that I should not use this method because I could hurt the flash memory? The firmware on my meridian says 2. something and needs to be 4. something. Can anyone help me?

Well, It would help to know what Meridian you have. Gold, Plat, Color, Marine, or just standard Meridian GPS.

If it is the last one (or any for that matter) go HERE and find yours in the chart. Click the link for what firmware you are looking for (most likely standard). This will bring up the download page. Read the directions. There is infor there you need. Then click the link on the bottom that says "Click here to download the XXX firmware".

What you will have then is a .zip file on your computer. UnZip it and look for the .exe file named MagUp. Doubble click it and follow the directions. Make sure your Meridian is connected to the computer via the serial cable.

All done! I downloaded all the Meridian Firmware update without a problem. Below is the current list for the Meridian Standard Firmware (not marine).

Meridian Color - 5.12

Meridian Platinum - 5.12

Meridian Gold - 5.12

Meridian Marine - 5.12

Meridian GPS - 4.02

Versions 5.0 and later of the standard firmware support street routing and guidance, if a MapSend DirectRoute map is active in the GPS receiver.

Good Luck!

Adam

Opening Magup.exe should give you a dialog box asking if you want to update to version 5.12 (or whatever version you are going for).

Let us know what version you downloaded so someone can verify that we get the same results as you are getting. You might try opening Magup from the Start/Run menu off your task bar to see if you get the same results.

I think the most recent Magellan firmware zip files don't include a more extensive readme.doc file that was included in earlier firmware packages. I'll email that to you backchannel.

Ah, heck, it's not that long...here's some additional instructions (from what I can see, they still expect that missing dialog to pop up on opening Magup)...

Download Instructions

You must follow instructions exactly to avoid corrupting your unit's flash memory.

1. Select the .zip file and save it to your hard drive. Open the .zip file using WinZip.

2. Connect your receiver to your PC using the PC or Power/Data Cable.

3. Turn on the receiver and press the NAV key.

4. Make sure the batteries are at least 50% full.

5. Clear memory (waypoints and routes will be lost) by pressing MENU from any screen, select ‘Setup’, ‘Clear Memory’, then select ‘All’ and ‘Yes’. The unit will turn off automatically.

6. Turn on the receiver and press the ENTER key.

7. Select the MAGUP executable file from your PC. When you see the message "Updating to version x.xx. Proceed with software upload?" select Accept.

8. When the software upload is started, the message "Uploading code file – xxxxxxxx.hex" will appear.

Code upload should take only a few minutes.

9. After the executable code upload is complete, the statement "upload of code complete" will appear. Your unit should automatically restart. If not, disconnect the batteries to turn off the unit.

10. Turn on the unit again and clear memory (waypoints and routes will be lost) by pressing MENU from any screen, select ‘Setup’, ‘Clear Memory’, then select ‘All’ and ‘Yes’. The unit will turn off automatically.

If the above clear memory procedure cannot be executed because certain screens are not accessible, another method for clearing memory is as follows:

Make sure the unit is off. If you are not sure, remove batteries then reinstall the batteries. Press and hold the MENU key then press and hold the POWER key. The unit powers up and the ‘Clear all memory?’ message comes up. Select ‘Yes’ and press ENTER and the unit will clear memory and turn off automatically.

Me again: there is also a modality called Expert mode that doesn't require the automatic startup. I can dig those instructions out if you're still not having luck.

Max

The problem is at step 7, no message comes up. it is a plank white page with a tool bar at the top. I have to leave to a funeral now, I will be gone for 5 days. I will check with you when I get back. I was hoping to hit a few caches on the way but I have cleared all memory off the unit, I guess I could reinitialize. Please don't give up on me. You may be my only hope.

I was able to duplicate your "symptom" by putting magup in a folder by itself. What other files are in the folder with your magup? There should be a magup.ini and something like mgold512.hex. I see a debug.out file, too, although I don't know if that's essential.

Guess we'll have to be patient for these answers...but don't worry, we won't give up on you just yet :rolleyes:

Edit: I just got a hunch of what you may have done...perhaps when you unzipped the file, you extracted only the magup file and not the others. At any rate, if you are missing any files go back and check the zip file you downloaded. Make sure all files are extracted to the folder of your choice.

Edited by embra

I'm back, My Grandma lived to 100years and 2 weeks and never spent a day in a nursing home.

I have the base meridian model.

When I open the winzip there are several items; Magupini, magupexe, mgps 402hex, readmedoc, readmefr.doc

I am wondering if my computer is not recognizing the GPS? I have to do all this from work because I don't have the net at home. I connected the cord to the back of the computer and hooked to the GPS, maybe I am forgetting some simple step?

I did get 11 caches while on my trip.

It sounds like your system and GPS aren't communicating so let's go back to the basics then try what Embra has provided...

I'm going to assume you are running XP on the system at work. If that's so, then you are running into an OS/hardware control conflict. XP wants to manage everything, but there are BIOS settings that can conflict with XP. You will need to check your BIOS to ensure your Ports are set to Auto or something similar. If you don't have an automatic setting, make sure your setting is at a speed that is equal to or greater than your GPS receiver's setting. If that is ok, then go to your Device Manager and check the port setting there for the Com port you are hooked into (typically COM 1), and ensure the port speed is set to a speed that is equal to or higher than the GPS receiver's setting.

...and at the risk of beating a dead horse, let me verify this before we rule it out as the cause:

You have said you're running magup off the hard drive.

You have verified that all the needed files (Magup.ini, magup.exe, mgps 402.hex, readmedoc, readmefr.doc) are in the zip file.

I still haven't heard the confirmation that all those files are in the folder on your hard drive from which you are running Magup.exe. I ask again because if they aren't, that would account for your problem.

If they *are* there, then it sounds like we need to bark up the tree TotemLake is suggesting.

My original phrasings of my questions made some assumptions that may not have been evident, so let me verify a thing or two essential for the upgrade process to work.

It sounds like you are opening the downloaded zip file in Winzip. Have you gone through the step of choosing Action/Extract from the menu and extracted all of the files in the zip file to a new folder on your hard drive? If you are just trying to run the programs from within Winzip, they won't be able to find the supporting files they need...everything needs to be unzipped first.

If you *have* unzipped the files, then I am asking you to verify that *all* of the files were unzipped to the new folder you told Winzip to create when you extracted the files.

I'm still feeling optimistic we'll get you there. We just have to narrow down what is and isn't a problem. :lol:

Make sure NMEA messages are off (menu-setup-NMEA-off then hit enter), and it would not hurt to set the baud rate to 4800 (menu-setup-baud rate-4800 and hit enter).

Can you use your com port at all with your GPS (sometimes somthing else tries to use it-like a PDA)?

Edit: I see you did quite a few South Dakota caches, are you from here too?

Wyatt W.

Edited by phantom4099
Action/extract? all I did was follow the steps to move the file to my computer and then double click on Magup exe.

If you want legitimate help, you will need to provide legitimate answers to the questions so you can be helped. Have patience with those whom are having to exercise patience with you when providing help with your non-informative answers.

My guess based on this non-answer is not all the files are being extracted from the zip file - I'm basing this on the fact you said you moved the file.

You need to check if there are 2 additional necessary files in the directory with the magup.exe.

With 4.02, there is the

magup.exe

magup.ini

mgps402.hex

In addition to these there are two readme instructional documents.

All of these are necessary to your upgrade.

Edited by TotemLake

If you were to look back to the april 14th post you will see that I listed all the files that were there. I'm sorry you have a problem with my answers. I am doing the best with this that I can. I simply do not have the computer skills needed to understand some of the posts. Believe me I am a patient person, I work with behavior disorder childern for a living. Please do not reply if it is only to offer criticism.

If you were to look back to the april 14th post you will see that I listed all the files that were there. I'm sorry you have a problem with my answers. I am doing the best with this that I can. I simply do not have the computer skills needed to understand some of the posts. Believe me I am a patient person, I work with behavior disorder childern for a living. Please do not reply if it is only to offer criticism.

You need to re-read your message because you didn't make it clear and the clarity was what was looked for:

When I open the winzip there are several items; Magupini, magupexe, mgps 402hex, readmedoc, readmefr.doc

This did not indicate you pulled all the files out. Hopefully this will help you to understand why we seemed to have a confusion about what it is you're doing and have done.

I did not offer criticism, rather an advisement. Please re-read my message again... We're looking for clear and concise answers to the question at hand so you can be helped better. Technical Newbies tend to misunderstand why specific wording is so critical.

So based on this misunderstanding and the need for clarification - are the additional files in the same directory that you put the magup.exe in? If No, then you have identified your problem. If Yes, then we can move on to the next step.

So is it Yes... or is it No?

Edited by TotemLake

You know, in retrospect and thinking back on all of your answers... I'm betting you're thinking when you open up the winzip file, you're looking at a directory. Think of the winzip file as an envelope with all the contents in it. You can see the contents, even read the contents, but the program is pretty unusable while it is in the envelope even though it looks like it is working.

So let's break this down for you to get your Meridian updated.

After you open the winzip file, you need to extract or pull the files from the envelope and put them someplace where you can use them.

So the first step is to open your My Documents folder, and create a folder called Meridian.

Next push the Extract icon button at the top, if that's missing, then go to the Actions menu and select Extract...

This will give you a mini-directory window with the top line identifying where you will be extracting to and what you need to do is to make sure it is going to that Meridian folder. On the right, scroll your directory up until you see My Documents and double click that, then find the Meridian folder and double-click it.

Now press the Extract button on the far right top of that window. The extraction will be pretty quick. You might see the winzip briefly flash the red indicator in the lower right corner then go back to green.

When it is green, you can now close the winzip window.

Go to the My Documents\Meridian folder and double-click the magup.exe and advise if you get the same problem or not.

If you have done all of this (which is what we were trying to get clarified), then there is a port communication conflict, and I can give you step-by-step instructions on how to fix that.

==edited to fix a couple of errors both coding and directional==

Edited by TotemLake

Totemlake, We did it!!!!!!! Thank you and all others that tried to help, the last post did it. Those were the best directions I have ever read. Sorry I was such a slow study. Maybe someday you can give me directions for posting a photo for a virtual cache. What do they want me to type in where it asks for file?

THANKS again everyone.

Cool. Ok... now for the picture you want to upload... and this only works when geocaching.com is actually on line. :P

After you have edited and entered your log, you will need to go back to the cache page, and there you will see a link that will allow you to upload the picture. There is a Browse... button next to the area where you can type in the file name. You need to click on that, then drill your way to the appropriate directory (presumably your My Documents directory) and locate the picture file. Do note, there are size limitations and you will need to learn how to use photo or picture editing software to do it so it comes out right. If I remember correctly files ending with .bmp won't work, but you can use .gif and .jpg, and I think .png files. If you don't see that on your file name, then you will need to right click the file and look at the properties. There are other ways but that is PC 101 and you might be able to figure it out on your own. I encourage you to explore, and if you are having problems, then you should have somebody there to show you those ways if you can't figure it out. The visual is easier than typing it all out.

That depends upon what version you are upgrading from. Magellan has never explicitly listed the feature list compared to the 4.x firmwares, but here is a partial list compiled by someone that I saved to paste in when this question is asked:

> -49 waypoints possible for each route (it was 30 before)

> -waypoints can be marked visible/invisible

> -there is a new parameter for showing the total distance to end of

> route

> -proximity alarms ( alarm when you near a waypoint)

> -light turns on, when an alarm rings

> -goto line changed

> -user maps will be shown first in the database/goto-list

> -goto-setting will not be lost, if unit is turned off

> -browsing streets will now show the city in a different line, too

> (this was pretty unusable before, I am still missing the search for

> street AND town)

> -tracks will be moved to routes in a different manor

> -Rechargeable Battery will be monitored better

> -scroll speed on maps was increased

> -tracking fixed, when you tried to track with 0.01 km, it happened,

> that you got time skips, which resulted in date hops in mapsend.

...also, this version took care of some compatibility problems with newer SanDisk SD cards. This upgrade is necessary to run DirectRoute; if you aren't plannng to do so and don't need the upgrade for compatibility problems, I don't see it as a must-have.

Probably the most annoying feature is to have the light turn on when the alarm goes. The least they could do is provide an indicator so that you can tell when it is off or on. I'm hating the battery drain during bright days when I can't tell if I managed to turn the light off or not.

Edited by TotemLake
wow thank you dreat reply!will this upgrad be able to let me search in an area small th 35 meters?

To answer your question... no. That is going to the smallest resolution possible with current technology. Someone did try to hack a solution to that and it didn't turn out to be worth the effort.

Probably the most annoying feature is to have the light turn on when the alarm goes. The least they could do is provide an indicator so that you can tell when it is off or on. I'm hating the battery drain during bright days when I can't tell if I managed to turn the light off or not.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

I also find the auto-lighting alarm mildly irritating.

If you hold the Meridian to your ear, you can hear a slight

whine/buzz when the backlight is on. It gets slightly louder on the

bright setting. I have used this technique many times on bright days

to determine if the backlight is on and shut it off.

I hope that people who see my manoeuvre think I am using a cell

phone.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: PGP 8.0.2

iQA/AwUBQJqX3Ucrpacku1SeEQLq1gCdF61uNIcEs7+kkU6tZNGHZWkI7zwAnR+m

g6zHJARaMG5kiCGjS4Kfnd/A

=7Fge

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Yes, it can: check out choice #88 in the Secret Menu section of the Meridian FAQs.

However, be advised that people seem to run into problems more frequently than with the serial cable route. I think it's a good idea to have a cable and the emergency firmware restoration procedures handy (also avaliable in the FAQs).