60cs Annoyances, Tips And Tricks

Okay, I figured there weren't enough threads dedicated to the 60CS, and since I know how popular they are with the Magellan owners... here's another. :lol:

I've had mine for about 5 days now, and been out on several outings, using it for both caching and just plain old navigation. I'm still learning my way around, and poring over the manual, but... just some initial observations, and wondering if others are experiencing the same problems, or know how to work around them.

First and foremost: Lockups. It doesn't happen a lot - but it does happen - in my experience, exclusively while calculating auto-routing information. There seem to be certain scenarios where this is more likely to happen - but I'll try to capture some more data on this before proposing any theories. If you've got a "work-around" for this... talk to me! <snicker> I assume the only fix will come in the form of firmware upgrades - I had to apply one the day I received my unit, and I'm sure (based on my experience with the Vista) there will be many more to follow. Here's hoping they get that fixed, soon.

Secondly, and MOST annoying: I'm having trouble with the "Find by Name" feature. I'm enjoying the more meaningful "smart" names as generated by GSAK (e.g. "SECURITYBY" instead of "GCFD9E"). However, when doing a 'Find by Name', I begin to spell the name of the cache - and suddenly, I'm way down in the list, beyond where the matching name is displayed. I have to exit the keyboard display - and then instead of being ON the matching record, which I should be - I have to scroll back up (to an entry not even shown on the page) to find the matching record. I just can't make ANY sense of it - and have already submitted a bug report to Garmin.

Does anyone else's unit behave this way, or is this just a personal problem?

I'll post another message regarding some "tips" about switching maps sets, changing navigation modes, etc - but right now, I'm late for a meeting!

Thanks for any insight or experiences you can share,

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

Both items are 'known' issues, at least with those of us using the 60C/S. Garmin, of course, has never heard of it if you call and speak to them over the phone.

I suspect that even tho it's cool to start new topics just to set those folks w/o the new machines on edge, if you read through some of the messages over the last month or few, you'll see what's been going on in regard to searching by name and autorouting wedgies.

They happen.

So far, the benefits usually outweigh the risks.

-=-

michelle

Gang-

I wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel, and I did actually search, read, (and in some cases, reply) on various threads about 60CS features, saw mentions of lockups, etc.

My intention in starting a new thread was not to build a soap box to talk about those two issues - perhaps I should have refrained from including any examples in my original post. I was just looking to start a thread (which I hadn't seen one of) for "Annoyances, Tips and Tricks" on this neat new gadget some of us are enjoying.

If you're suggesting that these forums aren't the appropriate place to discuss, I could always dedicate a thread to the topic over on gotwake.com - but who goes there? I thought that's what these forums were all about - exchange of information. Granted, this thread is only of interest to a very small subset of visitors - but then, I'm not forcing the Magellan (or Vista ;-) owners to read this thread - the title is intentionally fairly explanatory.

To demonstrate my intention:

I discovered that problem with the "find by name" feature - and at first, was rather disturbed (I thought the waypoints were actually MISSING, so I was investigating my export/upload process, etc). This was the "annoyance".

Then I stumbled upon the fact that they were actually there, and just not being displayed properly. So, I found the "tip/trick" of just using the "page" button to quickly exit the keyboard mode, and then scroll (typically, but not always) up in the list to the desired waypoint.

I've got some similar comments about switching between mapsets, and between navigation modes. For example, I establish a route from cache to cache, and auto-navigate using the "follow roads" feature - but then, once at the trailhead, have to jump into "Find-> Nearest", select the cache, and select "off road" - and frequently at this point I toggle between City Select and Topo maps.

They annoyance is, once finding the cache, it will navigate you to the next nearest - but to return to your previously established route - you have to do just that (menu to that page, select the route, and activate it - and it has to do some calculation cuz now you're in the middle of it).

The tip is: I used to toggle off individual maps (carryover from my Vista, and turning of particular MetroGuide maps to expose the topo maps). Well, I discovered in the 60CS, that from "Setup Map", on the map selection 'pane', hitting menu again provides a list of map sets, and allows a quicker, easier way to change ALL the maps from one to another, without having to scroll through the list and toggle individual maps.

Now maybe that's just an RTFM thing, and everyone else already new that when they picked up their 60C - but when I fiigured it out, I was stoked -- so I thought I'd share.

Have a great evening,

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

I've got some similar comments about switching between mapsets, and between navigation modes. For example, I establish a route from cache to cache, and auto-navigate using the "follow roads" feature - but then, once at the trailhead, have to jump into "Find-> Nearest", select the cache, and select "off road" - and frequently at this point I toggle between City Select and Topo maps.

If you set the "guidance method" to prompted (menu, menu, setup, routing) you can simplify the change from follow road to off road. When you get to the trail, from the map page hit menu, recaculate. You will be prompted for follow road/ off road. Select off road and your on your way!

Hope that helps

Ah-HAH! I had configured for "prompted" mode - but hadn't made the leap to merely "recalculate" when I get to the trail head. That makes PERFECT sense, and resolves the issue of trying to get back to the previous route - since, in theory - I'll never have to leave that original navigation!

Thanks for the tip! I think I'll go give it a try...

Billy

I don't have a 60CS but am wondering if the problem with the find has to do with the smart names generated by GSAK having lower case letters and the find only allowing uppercase entries? In an sort Capital letters all fall after lowercase letters if I recall correctly.

Just curious.

Alright, I have a 60CS, my little brother has a 60c. After a backpacking trip in Utah, we were on a drive to Salt Lake City and my brother just turned his gps on and BAM. All of his trails, way points etc. were gone. All of the user data was gone, but the MapSource data was still their. He didn't press any buttons while it was off or while turning it on.

Has anyone had this happen to them? He sent a email to Garmin.

File this under tips:

If you missed the thread about Tide Charts, here ya go.

You can go to the Garmin GPSMAP 162 Software Updates Page, and download the 5.13MB file under "Download Recommended MapSource US Tides Software". Executing the file will install a new MapSource title "GPSMAP 162/168 Tide Points". 3 map segments covers all of North America and only takes up 161kB (less than 2/10ths of a MB) of GPSr map memory.

Upload those 3 map segments and you can do a "Find" - "Marine Points" - "Tide Station", and the nearest tide stations appear. Pick one and after about 5 seconds you'll get a chart showing high and low tide times for the day, and it will show where on the chart the current time is and what level the tide is currently at. You can change the date, month and year and it'll show a graph for whatever date you choose.

The Original Thread (in case you're suspicious that I'm just blowing smoke)

Edited by Neo_Geo

Awsome thread snowake, Keep it up guys! Very helpful hints. Can anyone in english tell me what an ambiant barameter is, and how I can use my altimeter funtion to best forcast weather? I didn't do well in Earthscience class in highschool, I should have payed attention, but nooooo, I was too smart, when would I ever need to understand weather patterns. Idiot <_<

Awsome thread snowake, Keep it up guys! Very helpful hints. Can anyone in english tell me what an ambiant barameter is, and how I can use my altimeter funtion to best forcast weather? I didn't do well in Earthscience class in highschool, I should have payed attention, but nooooo, I was too smart, when would I ever need to understand weather patterns. Idiot <_<

It is the actual air pressure surounding your GPS.

Barrometric Pressures are adjusted to sea level, mainly because a person at 7,000 feet altitude will always see lower pressures than a person in Death Valley.

In the weather forcasts, the Barrometric pressures range from about 28 inches of Mercury to about 31, so to keep in this range you would correct the Ambient Pressure to sea level pressure. The difference being your elevation above sea level.

It will work best at indicating bad weather if you remain on flat land, and keep the the GPS adjusted to your current Forcast's Barrometric pressure.

Edited by GOT GPS?
Secondly, and MOST annoying: I'm having trouble with the "Find by Name" feature. I'm enjoying the more meaningful "smart" names as generated by GSAK (e.g. "SECURITYBY" instead of "GCFD9E"). However, when doing a 'Find by Name', I begin to spell the name of the cache - and suddenly, I'm way down in the list, beyond where the matching name is displayed. I have to exit the keyboard display - and then instead of being ON the matching record, which I should be - I have to scroll back up (to an entry not even shown on the page) to find the matching record. I just can't make ANY sense of it - and have already submitted a bug report to Garmin.

I found that this happens when I'm looking up geocache waypoints. For some reason, not all of the geocaches I upload are counted as such, even though the icon is there. I got around this by just looking up "waypoints", which includes everything (geocache and non).

By the way, I use GSAK as a waypoint manager, and upload to my 60cs via MapSource. If anyone has a better way, I'm all ears.

However, when doing a 'Find by Name', I begin to spell the name of the cache - and suddenly, I'm way down in the list, beyond where the matching name is displayed. I have to exit the keyboard display - and then instead of being ON the matching record, which I should be - I have to scroll back up (to an entry not even shown on the page) to find the matching record. I just can't make ANY sense of it - and have already submitted a bug report to Garmin.

Does anyone else's unit behave this way, or is this just a personal problem?

There are some bugs in the firmware (I have 3.10 loaded) that I expect Garmin will iron out in the next release. When you find these kind of bugs, make sure your send them to Garmin.

I too have had the "Find by Name" problem that you describe. What I have found is that it happens primarily in the Find Geocache screen. When I switch to the Find Waypoint screen (which includes all waypoints) the problem goes away. I forgot to write to Garmin about this one, but now that you bring it up, I will send them a note (I suggest that others do the same).

Here are a couple of bugs that I did write Garmin about:

1. When in the Geocache Mode with the compass screen showing, if I hit MENU and then select Calibrate Compass, it just goes back to the compass screen instead of going into the calibration screen. When on the regular compass screen (Not in the geocache mode), the calibration screen comes up properly.

2. When navigating in the Off Road mode, the compass does not always point me in the right direction. I have had cases where it points 180 degrees from where it should. I think this happens only when I enter a waypoint manually by pushing MARK, changing the coordinates and the name and then clicking ok. I have found that if I go back to the waypoint and change the icon (like from the default waypoint flag to the geocache icon), then the compass will point in the right direction. When the compass is pointing me in the wrong direction, I have tried turning the electronic compass on and off and it makes no difference, the compass still points in the wrong direction.

Has anyone else had these problems?

I also suggested the following to Garmin:

When I do a Find/Go To/Off Road for anything but a geocache, the map screen comes up instead of the compass screen. It would make more sense to have the compass screen come up like it does on my e-Trex Vista. If someone is navigating off road, they will normally be following the compass arrow, not the map.

P.S. – Even with these bugs (which I am sure will be fixed), I still love my 60cs and I would recommend it to anyone.

Rocket Man

1. When in the Geocache Mode with the compass screen showing, if I hit MENU and then select Calibrate Compass, it just goes back to the compass screen instead of going into the calibration screen. When on the regular compass screen (Not in the geocache mode), the calibration screen comes up properly.

Yes -- I've had the same problem (as your first, not your second), and I meant to mention it here. It's kind of funny, because basically, the glitch is that absolutely nothing happens when you ask it to calibrate. It just ignores you.

... so I was all like, "Calibrate compass, yo?" and the GPS was all like, "Yeah, whatever."

I just applied the 3.20 upgrade made available today. All evidence is that is seems to have fixed the "find by name" problem. Interesting - the changelog suggests:

(snip)

2. Find by name searches now only return a list of items that begin with the input

string.

(/snip)

Are the suggesting that it was actually working all along - it was just doing a RegEx (regular expression) against the waypoint name, and matching those characters anywhere in the name? Not sure I'm buying it, but... since it seems to be working as desired now, I'm happy...

Also, regarding the compass calibration problem (I've experienced this as well):

(snip)

13. Corrected problem with the Calibrate Compass option on the geocaching compass page.

(/snip)

So, glad to see the next release came out so quickly. Wonder if they introduced any new problems, in their haste to resolve some of the larger ones? Let's hope not... but so far, so good!

Hey, one more annoyance, and looking for a tip:

I'm not a big fan of the "new" power connector (same one used on my old GPS III and earlier models) - instead, I much prefer the data/power connector used on the eTrex series. Regardless, there it is again - this barrel connector complete with frail pins on the unit just begging to be bent.

So, my annoying isn't the use of the connector: the problem is how difficult it is to unplug when the unit is attached to the additional bracket for connecting to a standard dash (or handlebar) mount. I really struggle, trying to "rock" the connector back and forth, since I can't get a lot of grip on it.

The alternative is to remove the unit from the additional bracket, THEN remove the power connection - but based on how the cable routes over this bracket, that's not particularly convenient, either... :(

Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences?

I've got a few days in MD coming up next weekend, and really looking forward to doing some caching with the help of my 60CS, a rental car, and auto-routing....

So, glad to see the next release came out so quickly. Wonder if they introduced any new problems, in their haste to resolve some of the larger ones? Let's hope not... but so far, so good!

See this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=68979

The contour lines on the Topo maps are not improved. They are almost invisible now and very hard to read. Complain to Garmin if you agree.

When I do a Find/Go To/Off Road for anything but a geocache, the map screen comes up instead of the compass screen. It would make more sense to have the compass screen come up like it does on my e-Trex Vista. If someone is navigating off road, they will normally be following the compass arrow, not the map.

I've never experienced this... And I've never updated my firmware. Just FYI

Spent the day navigating today with mine. Noticed a couple of pet peeves.

-When you enter waypoint to navigate to, hit go to, unit calculates. Then I go to the instruction page, and it alway starts with the second instruction at the top, hiding the first (and most important) from view. You have to scroll up to get it . Annoying.

-There's a little picture that pops up sometimes in the lower left corner, looks like a searching for satalites gif. Problem is, when your trying to do other things, it blocks the selection boxes or input entry dialog box and won't go away till it finds the satalites. I tried to Use with GPS off selection to remove it so I could just search the map info, but it still wouldn't go away till I turned the whole unit off, then back on, then use with gps off. again, cute, but annoying.

Anyone else notice these? I'm running 3.20 now.

2. When navigating in the Off Road mode, the compass does not always point me in the right direction. I have had cases where it points 180 degrees from where it should. I think this happens only when I enter a waypoint manually by pushing MARK, changing the coordinates and the name and then clicking ok. I have found that if I go back to the waypoint and change the icon (like from the default waypoint flag to the geocache icon), then the compass will point in the right direction. When the compass is pointing me in the wrong direction, I have tried turning the electronic compass on and off and it makes no difference, the compass still points in the wrong direction.

Has anyone else had these problems?

Rocket Man

Yes, the arrow was pointing in the wrong direction, about 180° off!

I assumed it was from dropping the unit and the screen went to the service mode:-o Forgot to calibrate the compass after the drop and the restoritive power cyle. Even after calibration and selecting off road, the arrow still pointed in the wrong direction.

What a stumper?? Thought I could use basic functions out on my first backpack trip, without the manual...mistake. Jeez, at least I was counting on the "find waypoint" arrow pointing in the right direction! My emap never led me astray!

Maybe there was iron in the surrounding mountain peak/outcroppng, since my friend's Legend was acting up too.

This might be a good place to turn off the electronic compass. Darn I had forgot how to do that. After getting home and pouring over the manual...what seems more intuitutive than holding down the "page" key, to turn the electronic compass off? Just about anything.

Think I know what happened to some of those layed of Motorola engineers. Who else could think of such a non-intuitive menu system?

A possible clue or at least a similar incident, with a known cause. During "follow the road" autoroute waypoint finding, I noticed the same behavoir of the arrow pointing the wrong way. This was due to the default, Avoid "No U turns". I turned that off. This is found in a sub "routing" menu.

I fully expect most problems to be my own user error, but I've noticed it's very important to set and check all the various detailed menu options correctly.

-

Greenjeens

- Pressing the FIND button twice takes you to the recent finds page (this is my favourite).

- When street-navigating to a goto, FIND FIND ENTER ENTER computes the route completly new, which is different from recalculate.

- The welcome page can be skipped with ENTR.

- Turning off auto-recalculate when routing with the basemap makes sense.

Just a note - I've noticed that when I tell my 60cs to "avoid U-turns" when routing, it actually avoids them. That sounds axiomatic, but my 2610 still happily suggests U-turns even when I tell it to avoid them (maybe "avoid" means "don't do quite as many" for the 2610, but I can't figure it out).

Just posted this on another string, but thought it good shared info. Forgive me if it's ..."duh..."

Under settings, set compass to activate if going under 2 mph for more than 15 seconds. This way, if you stop moving to look at your GPS, which many of us need to do when hiking... the GPS will know your direction, bearing, heading. I've noticed the map page wanders if I stop moving and compass is off.

The compass is a huge battery drain, so you don't want to use this feature if you're not continually relying on your GPS for bearing info. But this is a great handy setting, and makes the extra few dollars you spent on the "S" of "CS" well worth it!

Love my new 60CS. I didn't know it needed an update patch already. But, how do I download the waypoints? I had been using Easy GPS for my Garmin 120, but it doesn't seem to recognize my 60CS through the USB port. Do I need to get a serial port connection cable?

Also, does any one know how to get the waypoint files from Easy GPS into map source without being down loaded from the GPS?

Should I being using a different waypoint software? Thanks.

Sweetpea of the Bitterroot

DRATS! The 3.20 upgrade didn't actually FIX the "Find By Name" bug, as I initially expected. However, as noted in this thread (and re-affirmed by me this afternoon) -- this feature appears to work properly when finding waypoints - but is definitely still broken when inside the "geocache" list. That's too weird - I can't believe the two functions use different code/logic... but obviously they do!

In response to the "How do I get waypoints into the 60CS" question - have a look at this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=68518

Hope this helps!

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

When in GeoCaching mode I hate that the default on screen button that is high lighted is the FOUND button. It is a real pain to hand the unit to someone or change hands and hit the ENT and the cache is marked as found. You have to go to the waypoint page and change the icon back to the not found GeoCaching icon and start over from your current position. I try to always move the high light over to the NOTE but sometimes I forget. I want to go to Garmin's web site and add that to a wish list for a patch, to make the NOTE button the default.

-There's a little picture that pops up sometimes in the lower left corner, looks like a searching for satalites gif. Problem is, when your trying to do other things, it blocks the selection boxes or input entry dialog box and won't go away till it finds the satalites.

Gee, do you think Garmin could use the "STATUS BAR" at the top of the display to show status messages? ;-)

Sloppy GUI schema.

# Xciton

I'm still a non-owner of a 60 but have a question about the USB interface setup to connect to a laptop. In the manual, page 45, it states that the 60 will communicate only in Garmin format via the USB port and that the other formats like "NMEA-out" must use the serial. If thats the case then I would require a USB to Serial adaptor on a serial-less laptop if I wanted to do any real-time tracking using mapping software other than Mapsource. Have I interpreted that correctly?

Olar

I hate the fact that the 60cs does not show current street #'s like the iQue does. As I'm driving, the ique will show realtime the street #s, so if I'm looking for 3462 E Northridge St I can just keep an eye on the screen as it updates every second.

This should just be a software update, I hope Garmin will allow the 60cs to do that too.

They should have used the clickstick like the Rino. Much easier to input with it.

Edited by FlashMaster

When I get ready to upload caches to my GPS I use GSAK and do a filter then save it into MPS format then open it in MapSource for upload. What's buggin the hell out of me though is it's limiting the name of the caches to 8 letter no matter what I do. It looks like I should be able to do 10 or more, but I can't figure it out.

Any help?

When I get ready to upload caches to my GPS I use GSAK and do a filter then save it into MPS format then open it in MapSource for upload. What's buggin the hell out of me though is it's limiting the name of the caches to 8 letter no matter what I do. It looks like I should be able to do 10 or more, but I can't figure it out.

Any help?

In the "export to Mapsource" screen make sure you specify the number of smart-name characters that you want. Limited of course to the limit of your GPSr. The waypoint name tag must read: %smart=10 if you want 10 and change it if the number is different.

Cheers, Olar

Figured out the reason why the arrow points in the completley wrong direction when navigating. Apparently when the electronic compass is engaged, the GPSr needs to be held horizontaly for an accurate reading. Holding the GPSr vertically, with the electronic compass on, gives very strange pointer readings.

A few other tips...

I never did auto routing with a GPSr before, so when alternating between auto routing and trail use, setting the the map to "prompted" allows quick dual use set ups through "follow road" or "off road" selection.

Speaking of auto routing... Mapsource has this annoying programming, where the existing highway exit signage is not matched. The name of ANY street which the offramp intersects is given instead. When the GPSr labels the exit turn, as some insignificant and unfamiliar side street, simply becasue it's the first street encountered on the offramp, it's rather confusing.

Anyone else have difficulty finding the correct page to "stop navigation"? Seems simple enough from the map, active route or compass page, but on the fly, I find myself searching through what seem like excessive pages for a "stop navigation" option.

Another observation. An external antenna greatly improves fringe performance. I'm using the same GPSgeek SM-76 DC2.5-5.0V low current magnetic unit, that was used with a previous Emap GPSr. No idea what other or current amplified antennas are available for the 60cs. This antenna is older, and a little too heavy for baseball hat brim use, due to a piece of heavy iron (magnet?), integrated in the base of the antenna. A rare earth magnet should bring the wieght down.

For indoor use it outperforms the stock antenna... enough to pull in sats through a nearby window, for couch navigation. Assume it would enhance in car use to a similar degree. When used alone, a ground plane significantly increases performance. Currently using a 7" circle of sheet metal. Perhaps a smaller ground plane would work. Haven't tested reduced sizes yet.

Wish list...

A "security lock code" on the unit. The purpose would be to lock the unit on power up, in the event it became lost. An inoperable GPSr might induce the finder to be honest and give a call, then collect a reward listed on the Welcome Page.

Got to get some kind of secure shoulder strap set up, but one easy to remove for viewing.

The stock plastic belt clip, which holds the GPSr, looks nearly identical to the bag full of broken clips that have failed on my cellphones. I'm expecting a eventual clip breakage, and possible loss, due to the increased GPSr weight and rough outdoor usage. Locktight on the swivel knob screw is REQUIRED, since this part loosens easily! I'm looking for a METAL clip and perhaps a metal swivel head, to replace the Garmin stock assembly, similar to the the stainless steel assembly in the "Rugged" brand of cellular cases, to provide a secure clip, as well as a belt loop, which won't pull off accidently. Been there done that...

Although the swivel knob looks to be a high grade plastic, reproducing another knob in nylon, delrin or stainless steel, could be the first step to building a better clip. Swivel knob dimensions would have to remain the same for those of us using the garmin auto holder mount... darn. Otherwise it might be easy to modify a "Rugged" swivel/clip, by drilling a stepped hole in the knob and using the same screw size, to fit the threads on the 60cs.

-------

Greenjeens

Edited by Greenjeens
Speaking of auto routing... Mapsource has this annoying programming, where the existing highway exit signage is not matched. The name of ANY street which offramp intersects is given instead. When the GPSr labels the exit turn, as some insignificant and unfamiliar side street, simply becasue it's the first street encountered on the offramp, it's rather confusing.

Wish list...

A "security lock code" on the unit. The purpose would be to lock the unit on power up, in the event it became lost. An inoperable GPSr might induce the finder to be honest and give a call, then collect a reward listed on the Welcome Page.

I agree on both points.

On the first, you often cannot confim you've made the correct turn for several blocks, until that street name just happens to appeear on some side street. Clearly, the GPSr should have the route number. This would help as you approach the exit. Also, if you are looking at a paper map as well, this ususally has only the route number and not the street name. Not a good situation. The GPSr does, ususally have the exit number which helps at the turn point, but it really needs the route number. Now you CAN find this route number by looking around for it on the map page. But one should hot have to do that.

Security code idea is particularly good. I have my phone/e-mail on the opening screen, but it would be nice if it were locked there.

Good ideas.

I hate the fact that the 60cs does not show current street #'s like the iQue does.  As I'm driving, the ique will show realtime the street #s, so if I'm looking for 3462 E Northridge St I can just keep an eye on the screen as it updates every second.

I don't know what the ique does, but my 60c will do this when not navigating. Just setup the navigation text to always be on: Map Page>Guidance Text...>Always Show. It will show street information in the same spot as the route guidance text.

I hate the fact that the 60cs does not show current street #'s like the iQue does.  As I'm driving, the ique will show realtime the street #s, so if I'm looking for 3462 E Northridge St I can just keep an eye on the screen as it updates every second.

I don't know what the ique does, but my 60c will do this when not navigating. Just setup the navigation text to always be on: Map Page>Guidance Text...>Always Show. It will show street information in the same spot as the route guidance text.

The Vista, GPS V, GPS 60 have Street Guidance Text, but not Address Guidance Text. Because the IQue is a PDA/GPS, it does more, where the Address Guidance Text will get you close to the right addresses without waypoints, This would be good in a UPS Delivery Truck where you have multiple stops, where playing with waypoints is a big waste of time.

The 2610 has a field to show the street address, too. I agree it would be nice on the 60cs. Frankly, the 60cs screen is so much smaller that I probably would never use it -- I like the feature for showing the upcoming cross-street better, and given the size of the screen, I wouldn't turn both on and lose that much more real estate. But I always would like more options, so bring it on!

As for the ramp issue above, maybe I'm not understanding the problem, or maybe it depends on where you are. Here in the Washington DC area, the streets are very confusing but luckily the names for the exit ramps on the GPSr always match what it says on the highway sign (and usually, it provides the exit number as well). I have CN5 data (from my 2610) loaded, not CS, but I assume it's no different.

Locktight on the swivel knob screw is REQUIRED, since this part loosens easily!

Mine came with blue Loctite on the thread but the thing hadn't been anywhere near fully tightened so it was spinning loose! Kinda defeats the whole point of the Loctite there, Garmin.

I hand-tightened it as much as I thought prudent and it hasn't moved since.

Swivel knobs and the clip holders are ok for my little cellphone most of the time, but I don't use it in the field for my 60c.

I like the security code idea.

The ability to read/write from a CF card reader/writer via the USB port would be awesome. :rolleyes:

Funny, I was just in the DC area for a 3-day conference and whirlwind caching tour. The 60CS, and auto-routing, were a MIRACLE. Got me from Dulles to the flood of virtuals in downtown DC and back to my hotel in Frederick, MD without ever cracking a (paper) map. I actually noticed this difference then: For starters, back east there seems to be fairly consistent "Exit numbers", and these were ALWAYS accurate (not surprising). Additionally, I don't think I saw a single instance of the road name on the GPSr not matching the exit sign - and yet I'm very familiar with that problem out here in CA (where, for some reason, we don't have exit numbers - an issue that perplexes my various guests from back east). I'm guessing it's more a "data quality" issue rather than a programming or functional issue within the GPSr - but who knows?

On a different note - I wanted to share a little "tip", and associated annoyance, and ask if anyone had any thoughts? So, for this recent DC trip (where there were MILLIONS of virtuals), I wanted to visually differentiate between the different types of caches. Thanks to GSAK, this is quite simple: I just selected the various icons I wanted to use for traditional, multi, virtual, event, and locationless caches... and VOILA! Mission accomplished. Now as I'm driving down an unfamiliar highway, I can tell at a glance what type of caches are nearby (although I would like to petition gc.com to institute "Micro" as a discreet cache type, rather than just being a subset of traditional). So that's the "tip" - and I like it so far.

The annoyance: As soon as you use an icon OTHER than "geocache" - the 60CS doesn't know how to deal with them (e.g. they're not considered in 'geocaching mode'). Now I've heard some say that this mode is a joke, and worthless - but I was using it a fair amount before I adopted this technique. If nothing else, when out on a big caching spree, being able to go back to the calendar and review all the caches you marked as "found" is valuable (I performed this function on my Palm - but the more I can consolidate down to a single device, the better). So, I guess my feature request to Garmin is to allow ANY waypoint type to be applicable to geocaching mode, be marked as "found", etc. I'm sure there are other implications to this I'm overlooking, but... hey, that's what clients/customers get to do! :D

One possible alternative/work-around I've considered is going back to using only "geocache" as the icon for all cache types - and then utilize GSAK's variables to append/prepend a single letter indicating the cache type. Unfortunately, with pre-pending it would make alphabetic sorts less useful, and appending would just be harder to consistently detect and "translate". This solution also sacrifices the quick visual reference provided by using different icons for the various types.

What is everyone elses' experience with this issue?

Just some thoughts,

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

Anyone seeing their tracklog getting full much quicker than normal (by "normal", I mean compared to my Vista and GPSMAP 76S) despite plot over distance being enabled and the GPS not moving an inch (indoors)? Also getting odd & random lockups on the altimeter page when viewing a tracklog's elevation profile with barometric units set to "millibars". I'm using software version 3.20 and also performed a master reset... :D

Edited by SergZak

Yeah I noticed the track log problem the other day when I cached for about 13hrs, I got home and noticed the first 2hrs of my trip were gone from the track logs, disappointing. Something I would like to see from Garmin is the ability that when a track log gets full that it automatically saves the log then start a new one. Garmin???

I meant that the iQue acually shows the Address #s, not just the street your on. For example as your driving it shows:

Driving North on 1253 Citrus Ave....

Driving North on 1257 Citrus Ave....

Driving North on 1259 Citrus Ave....

Driving North on 1260 Citrus Ave....

Etc etc

The 60cs just shows

Driving North on Citrus Ave.

Unless theres some setting I have wrong.

Also, the 60 should be touch screen. Ok now I'm dreaming.

Edited by FlashMaster

Track and track logs.

Yesterday I did a 10hr caching marathon, about 9hrs into it I decided to check my track log to see how full it was, 99%. So I quickly saved it and cleared the log so it could continue. I have the GPS set to save 10,000 track points. So today I download the data to MapSource, the gpsbabel it and open it in QuakeMap. The first thign I noticed is that the GPS condensed the 10,000 track points to 500 track points, then it erased all evidence of date and time for each track point, this sucks!!!

Anyone else have any comments on track points or can help me with anything here?

Thanks,

Track and track logs.

Yesterday I did a 10hr caching marathon, about 9hrs into it I decided to check my track log to see how full it was, 99%. So I quickly saved it and cleared the log so it could continue. I have the GPS set to save 10,000 track points. So today I download the data to MapSource, the gpsbabel it and open it in QuakeMap. The first thign I noticed is that the GPS condensed the 10,000 track points to 500 track points, then it erased all evidence of date and time for each track point, this sucks!!!

Anyone else have any comments on track points or can help me with anything here?

Thanks,

That's a common problem when anyone wants to download an uncondensed track record. The only way is to get home and download the active track before you reach the capacity of your GPSr. The other solution when away from home is to have a laptop along with you for this purpose.

To conserve track log useage you could turn off your unit while driving but that may not be practical particularly if you need it for finding the next parking spot. My GPS V has an option to turn “off” the track log but I’m not sure if that is just the track display or the complete shutdown of any recording. I’m going to try it on the way home tonight.

Cheers, Olar

I'm having a problem with my 60c just shutting down. I haven't been able to associate the shutdown with a particular event yet. I have a mount on my motorcycle and it seems to do it more often when I'm riding, then when I'm hiking. I thought maybe it was the vibration of the bike or the shock of hitting a bump that was doing it, but then why would it do it while I was holding it in my hand hiking?

Anyone else having ramdom shutdowns?