Mapsource 6.0.4 Beta

I used it on an old Window 98 system and it kept bombing out so I went back to Version 5.4.

I had similar problems under Windows Me - mainly seemed to crash when I was doing cut and paste (e.g. consolidating trackpoints into a single track).

I'll wait until the final version is released before trying again !

I used it on an old Window 98 system and it kept bombing out so I went back to Version 5.4.

I had similar problems under Windows Me - mainly seemed to crash when I was doing cut and paste (e.g. consolidating trackpoints into a single track).

I'll wait until the final version is released before trying again !

Seems o.k. to me. I've got XPHome. And 60CS.

Works fine on my 2000 system. One note worthy of interest: The new version creates a new file format. .gdb or Garmin GPS Database file. It still recognizes the old .mps files and uses the data in a new document. So, if you open a file named "mygeocaching.mps" in the new version, it will warn you that the data is being imported into a new format. Nothing will happen to the old file - it will remain as "mygeocaching.mps". If you save the new document after the import, you'll get a new file "mygeocaching.gdb". So you would have two files: "mygeocaching.mps" and "mygeocaching.gdb".

The EasyMPS program still works with easily converting .loc files into MapSource.

Also, the new program allows you to categorize waypoints into 16 categories (actually 17 if you count uncategorized waypoints). If you choose a certain category, only waypoints in that category will show on the map and waypoint list. All other waypoints that are not in the selected category disappear from the list and map (and reappear when "all categories" is selected). I could see this as a useful tool if you have a lot of waypoints to manage.

It also allows you to export the data as a tab delimited .txt file.

It also has a "find device" function - no more confusion over switching between serial and USB ports. Makes things less complicated when trying to explain things to newbies :lol:

Other than that, it looks and feels like the old MapSource. Overall I like the improvements.

Edited by Neo_Geo