Geocaching Rock

I was a thread on the forum sometime ago on rock style cache containers. One of the responses told how to make them with plaster of paris, water and 1 other ingredient. I can’t find the thread to get the formula right. Any suggestions?

Roadway57

Another idea (for those willing to investigate it):

Model railroaders make 'cliffs' by using a product (can't recall, bu tit isn;t simply plaster of paris). They press mix it up and press a real rock into the material and let it harden. Afterwards, they have a mold for their cliff that is far better than an average carver could create. They then use the mold with plaster of paris to make what they need and then paint away.

You might be able to do something similar... dunno.

Also, Sculpy has a Granitex clay out that comes in many different colors and can be hardened in an oven. I get a lot of complements upon the stone I created. It is hollow in the middle, open at one end, and about as big as a cell phone. Just slip the cache into the hollow end of the stone and place so that the solid end is visible and you have a great, slightly evil, container.

-Jennifer

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...large+fake+rock might also be helpful as the results seem to be pretty on topic.

Here's a link to some you can buy http://www.krupps.com/Fake-Rocks/4060-4060-4060 which aren't cheap but good looking.

Here's a link off the results set to http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/MoldingArt...0425773DE9.html on How do I make fake large lightweight rocks

There are others in the results set.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...large+fake+rock might also be helpful as the results seem to be pretty on topic.

Here's a link to some you can buy http://www.krupps.com/Fake-Rocks/4060-4060-4060 which aren't cheap but good looking.

Here's a link off the results set to http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/MoldingArt...0425773DE9.html on How do I make fake large lightweight rocks

There are others in the results set.

i live about 20 miles from the krupps.com place. if you want, i will go there and see what they look like. there is a cache near there i need to do anyway. believe it or not, i was at krupps last week. i saw a couple of their bigger rocks, but i didn't pay close attention.

You need homemade rock? Check the shifty looking dude on the corner, fo' shizzle. :lol: Sorry, but when I saw the tagline I couldn't resist.

Editizzle: Had to fizzle a minizzle on my spelizzle checkizzle.

Edited by Ox

For big fake rocks, be sure to check out your local septic tank supplier or pumper. They had some that ranged from micro size to ME sized at the local home and garden expo this weekend here in Missoula. They were asking about $20 for an 5 gal rubbermaid sized one. :lol: Got some good ideas from that show!

-Jennifer

You need homemade rock? Check the shifty looking dude on the corner, fo' shizzle. :lol: Sorry, but when I saw the tagline I couldn't resist.

Editizzle: Had to fizzle a minizzle on my spelizzle checkizzle.

LOL!

If you can find one of "those rocks" big enough to hide stuff in, it's gonna cost you! :D

Just so you know, I looked for about two hours and can't for the life of me find the post that I know you're talking about - even though I know the date I saw it give or take about a week.

The stuff you're talking about is some blow foam stuff, and I can't find the post. I know I saw it about a week before August 28th, cause I passed a spot on a cache I did where I thought about using a fake rock and being extremely mean about placing the cache. (note that I didn't do it)

Maybe someone else can narrow it down more?

Here lately we have seen an influx of candles that look just like rocks,except that they are wax and very easy to work and put a small cache in.

I gave one away that I had made at the Midwest Invitational Geocaching Competition.

I have the other one in the window waiting for that great day when I release Roaring River Rocks Cache.

It is so real looking that I have not had the gumption to put anybody through that.......Yet!!!!

Here is my fake rock. I can't take the credit for making it though, I bought it at a garden store.

06c9b2db-c458-4ccb-ae8c-cd1f62beabb1.jpg

30d8af25-7461-4fd8-b442-4e119b57082f.jpg

Hmmm....the garden store? Is it wooden? brain is ticking away with evil ideas It's very real looking in the picture. I couldn't tell which one was fake until the 2nd shot.

Well, Uperdooper, that's ok. But then again, if you need a reason to go near a needed cache...yep. :rolleyes:  :tongue:  :bad:

Roadway57

i went to krupps today to check out their rocks. they only had huge ones that a person could almost hide under and they were way over priced.

Thanks Uperdooper, I really am greatful, I hope you found the cache you were looking for.

Roadway57

Just so you know, I looked for about two hours and can't for the life of me find the post that I know you're talking about - even though I know the date I saw it give or take about a week.

The stuff you're talking about is some blow foam stuff, and I can't find the post. I know I saw it about a week before August 28th, cause I passed a spot on a cache I did where I thought about using a fake rock and being extremely mean about placing the cache. (note that I didn't do it)

fly46,

The post you were looking for has been linked above. Thanks for looking

Roadway57

TinTn:

No, the rock seems to be made from shaped fiberglass cloth and resins. It's very sturdy; you can actually stand on it. I just hope it doesn't go missing. We got a deal on it, a manufacturer had shipped it to the garden store as a demo to try and sell, but the manager thought it was too expensive. We found it kind of sitting on a self in the back of the store and the manager said he's sell it to us for $10. It's one of the most realistic I have seen. Our cache, although in the open, is well hidden.

The stuff you're talking about is some blow foam stuff, and I can't find the post.  I know I saw it about a week before August 28th, cause I passed a spot on a cache I did where I thought about using a fake rock and being extremely mean about placing the cache. (note that I didn't do it)

fly46,

Roadway57

Nope.. Those aren't the one I was looking for.

They work, but the one I was going for had a full tutorial on the materials used to make one. And I saw it before a cache I did on Aug 28, 2003, so the post was sometime between when I joined and when I did that cache, so summer of last year.

Hmm... If you fake a rock and hide it in a heap of about 5000 rocks, is it a difficulty of 5?

TinTn:

No, the rock seems to be made from shaped fiberglass cloth and resins. It's very sturdy; you can actually stand on it. I just hope it doesn't go missing. We got a deal on it, a manufacturer had shipped it to the garden store as a demo to try and sell, but the manager thought it was too expensive. We found it kind of sitting on a self in the back of the store and the manager said he's sell it to us for $10. It's one of the most realistic I have seen. Our cache, although in the open, is well hidden.

Thanks......you most definitely got a deal. The rocks I've been seeing that are that size are very expensive!

I like the gas fireplace log idea too.

The stuff you're talking about is some blow foam stuff, and I can't find the post.  I know I saw it about a week before August 28th, cause I passed a spot on a cache I did where I thought about using a fake rock and being extremely mean about placing the cache. (note that I didn't do it)

fly46,

Roadway57

Nope.. Those aren't the one I was looking for.

They work, but the one I was going for had a full tutorial on the materials used to make one. And I saw it before a cache I did on Aug 28, 2003, so the post was sometime between when I joined and when I did that cache, so summer of last year.

Hmm... If you fake a rock and hide it in a heap of about 5000 rocks, is it a difficulty of 5?

I know that the ones (rock micros) GC.com use to sell in a ditch of rip rap were hard to find.

Roadway57