1832 & 1877 Bm's

ddnutzy

Last Sunday I found a 1887 Bm in Millville, Ma. Today Wildbird and myself found one from 1832 in Barre, ma. Waterbug in Millville is my3686 n42 02.190 w 071 33.683. Hawes Hill in Barry, Ma is mz1504 n42 27.437 w072 07.089. Log and photos are posted on my cache page.

Edited by ddnutzy
Last Sunday I found a 1877 Bm in Millville, Ma. Today Wildbird and myself found one from 1832 in Barre, ma. Waterbug in Millville is my3686 n42 02.190 w 071 33.683. Hawes Hill in Barry, Ma is mz1504 n42 27.437 w072 07.089. Log and photos are posted on my cache page.

Here are the direct links to: MY3686 and MZ1504.

This is some of my old stomping ground. Sure wish I was back there to find some of the old ones. I see on MY3686 that in 1939 it was clear in all directions except NW. What is it like now, some 65 years later?

Keep up the good work!

Last Sunday I found a 1877 Bm in Millville, Ma. Today Wildbird and myself found one from 1832 in Barre, ma. Waterbug in  Millville is my3686 n42 02.190  w 071 33.683. Hawes Hill in Barry, Ma is mz1504 n42 27.437  w072 07.089.  Log and photos are posted on my cache page.

Here are the direct links to: MY3686 and MZ1504.

This is some of my old stomping ground. Sure wish I was back there to find some of the old ones. I see on MY3686 that in 1939 it was clear in all directions except NW. What is it like now, some 65 years later?

Keep up the good work!

To the east of waterbug hill it is clear. North, south, and west are wooded now.

Last weekend I visited HW3293 which was monumented in 1884. It's a drill hole with a circumscribed triangle carved into the rock. Strangely, it has not been reported in the NGS database since its monumentation date 120 years ago! It was a good hike up the mountain to get to it.

You going to offically submit this one to the NGS? You should!!

Last weekend I visited HW3293 which was monumented in 1884. It's a drill hole with a circumscribed triangle carved into the rock. Strangely, it has not been reported in the NGS database since its monumentation date 120 years ago! It was a good hike up the mountain to get to it.

Congratulations, you get 120 pts!

You had to out do our drill hole by finding one with a triangle around it, totally disgusting! :mad::mad::(

The picture of the location looks like it would be a tough search for that one.

Well done!

John

kc2ixe -

You're right, and I did! It's the only one for which I have submitted a report form to the NGS. I'm still wating to see what they do with my report.

2oldfarts (the rockhounders) -

Errr, thank you, and sorry about that triangle!

It was in an area where I wanted to do some benchmarking, not realizing at first that such a weird PID was lurking there. So, on my second trip to the area, I decided to go for it. It was actually not a difficult find at all - one of those walk-up-and-there-it-is scenarios. It was an exciting find anyway - being so old and comparitively remote. The difficult part was the hike up the mountain - I neglected to use any trail, I'm not the hiking type, and didn't go up on horseback like the description says. :mad:

On the points thing, I had drafted that crazy points article before I even heard of Keller 1884, and it was a total coincidence that I happened upon it around the same time. The amusing thing is that another benchmarker working in the same area recovered 2 church steeples (that reference Keller 1884) the next weekend, and they were also listed as monumented in 1884 and also without any subsequent report. That's TWO doses of 120 points for him! :mad:

Last weekend I visited HW3293 which was monumented in 1884.  It's a drill hole with a circumscribed triangle carved into the rock.  Strangely, it has not been reported in the NGS database since its monumentation date 120 years ago!  It was a good hike up the mountain to get to it.

Howdy, BDT! Those are the kind of BM hunts I like most. The more remote, the better. Nice job! Congrats, too, on such a unique find.

Cheers ...

Great finds! I have only been able to search in the eastern U.S. for a couple days while back for a family wedding, and was not able to get to any of the old ones.

There aren't many pre-1900 marks in Nevada, but if you are ever in the Nipton, CA or Jean, NV area, there is a good run that can be made along the dirt road that follows the railroad tracks in that area (near the CA/NV border where I-15 crosses from Nevada into California). Making this 20 or so mile stretch was probably the single best day I ever had benchmarking.

Besides a slew of 1930s marks, there is a drill hole monumented in 1898 (FS1195), a cap-and-bolt pair (FS0753), a couple chiseled squares (FS0759 and FS0257), and a great boundary monument (FS1198). All of these are on my ever-changing list of favorite benchmarks.

I will certainly get back here to try for some of the ones that I missed on the first trip, but these were the highlights.

A great find BDT!! Interesting history comes with that triangulation station. Keep on finding these interesting ones for us to enjoy. B)

I don't know of anything older that 1871 around my location. Also the ones that old that I have logged have all been intersection stations.