Color Screens In Bright Sun

My parents live in the Nevada desert. They like our Sportrak Map and Meridian Platinum, but are interested in a color screen. The problem is that they'll be in very bright direct sunlight pretty much all the time. Does any one have experience with a GPSr with color screen and mapping capability that works well in bright sun? Info on which models to avoid would be helpful too. Thanks!

Edited by Karma Hunter
the 60CS screen actually looks *better* in direct sunlight if you ask me. VERY nice color screen.

What he said. The brighter the sun, the better the screen looks. The only time I sometimes have trouble seeing the screen is when the 60CS is in it's suction-cup auto mount during the daylight hours. If you are holding it in your hand, there is always a good angle to see the screen clearly. And it looks just as great in the dark using the backlight.

I had tried the Meridian color at home, and it's screen did not do well outside, and i took it back the next day. I like the 60C alot, it has a Transflective screen that is halfway between a laptop's screen and a good black n white screen. The Meridian color I had washed out in sunlight simular to my Palm m130.

If I could have had the Meridian Color with the same screen as the 60C I would choose the Meridian Color. Dont know why the Meridians are at 120 by 160 resolution, because they could have done better than that, with at least 160 by 240 resolution on the Meridians. The 60C has double the number of pixels as the Meridian color.

Edited by GOT GPS?

On a side note, the Sportrak Color works well in the sun (it uses a different screen technology than the Meridian Color). It's not quite as stunning as the 60C, but I blame that on the UI of the Sportrak line, and not the display itself.

--Marky