New Geocacher Offers A Tip...

Blipple

Hi- here's hoping this isn't an old idea here in the forum since this is my first post.

In my vast (ahem) experience of finding 4 whole caches, I've noted soggy or crumpled paper notes in each one.

Being new, I of course had to run right out and make my own first cache. I found that plain contact paper (such as used for lining shelves or drawers) can be folded in half, sticky side in, and written on with a permanent marker such as a Sharpie quite nicely. It makes a nice, flexible, waterproof note.

Rite in the rain books are cool and the small ones don't seem unreasonably expensive to me at $2.50.

geo2414bb.jpg

The big ones are really nice though with forms on each page to fill in and are worth a few extra bucks at $6.99 if your cache is big enough.

GEO2143bb.jpg

http://shop.Groundspeak.com/category.cfm?categoryID=5&home=t

Plus in my opinion they give it a little more impressive and official look if it gets found by a muggle increasing the odds of it not getting plundered.

Just use a quality container and keep the log in its own ziploc just in case and you're good to go. I've never found a wet log in an ammo box and rarely found wet logs in good Rubbermaid,Tupperware or Lock-n-locks. When I find wet logs they are invariably in Chinese/deli food containers, PVC piples, dollar store plastic containers and Gladware.

Gel pens prevent ink from running in wet pages but a good container properly closed it best. They also write in the cold--I've converted my caches to them. If the pages do get wet you can successfully dry 'em out.

I've noticed the rite in rain paper doesn't take ink well though...it's a real pain to write on.

Enjoy,

Randy

Rite in the rain books are cool and the small ones don't seem unreasonably expensive to me at $2.50.

The small micro-cache $2.50 log books are not 'rite in the rain' but rather just small log books with the geocaching logo and information.

The bigger log books are 'rite in the rain.' They are very nice.

Rite in the rain is ok for what the name implies. A long time ago in forum years someone did a contrast between a soaked Rite in the Rain book and a normal paper book. For survability when soaked plain paper won. For writing while not getting damp Rite in the rain wins but then it's still wet and you put it back and it gets soaked...

One other thing. Pencil doesn't run when wet. As a bonus they write when it's cold and they write in space. Not too shabby.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Rain Rite logs of grease pencil entries floating in a container of water-logged geo-soup... hmm. :D I've seen it! Perhaps small, thin sheets of scrap 303 stainless may survive as a log. Don't tell 'em to bring your own pencil or pen, just scratch in your entries with a nearby stone or sharp instrument. Better containers must prevail. :o

Hi folks! Just FYI-I didn't use the contact paper for the logbook- that's in a ziplock.

I used the vinyl contact paper notes to write and place the next set of coordinates in the microcaches that were part of my multicache.

I also used it for the explanation note telling what a geocache is in case of an accidental find.

I used the vinyl contact paper notes to write and place the next set of coordinates in the microcaches that were part of my multicache.

I also used it for the explanation note telling what a geocache is in case of an accidental find.

National Geographic Adventure Paper works great for these purposes. Or laminated regular paper.