Catch 'em Red Handed?

Do you ever catch someone in the act when you visit your own cache? How did you handle it? What was their reaction? This probably will happen more often with urban micros, but I'm just curious. :D

I have placed several micros near work recently, so it's easy to do a drive-by on the way home. I caught one last week who was just opening the container in an exposed public place. He never heard me coming so I barked "Hey whattya doing there" :D in my most official mean voice. He jumped, and almost wet himself! :D

Altoids tin- $1.79

Can of silver spray paint- $3.29

Velcro- $1.99

His reaction- Priceless :D:D:D

Recently, I searched for a cache and then ran into another cacher and searched with him. We couldn't find it. A while later, while wandering around under a bridge, a voice from above says "looking for something?" It was the owner with the cache in hand! It had been broken and he had picked it up to fix it.

Yesterday, I went to check on a new cache of mine that could not be found. There was a person searching in the right place when I arrived. I just walked up, told him that the cache might be gone and then checked the location while he turned his back so he could not see where it should be.

It would be amusing to mount a speaker near a cache with a Mr. Microphone sort of setup so that you could stand far enough away to not be seen and yet surprise the hell out of someone with a godlike voice saying, "It's not there. Have you looked on your left?"

When I planetd my last one, I was sorely tempted to take a book down to the general area and sit on a bench about 50 yards away so that I could keep an eye on the festivities.

I barked "Hey whattya doing there"  :D  in my most official mean voice. He jumped, and almost wet himself!

That's just not nice! :D

Maybe I should add that he is a good friend. We have spent a lot of time caching together. I don't think I'd be quite so mean to someone I didn't know very well. :D

I barked "Hey whattya doing there" :D in my most official mean voice. He jumped, and almost wet himself!

That's pretty much what I do, weather I know the person or not. They usually begin by putting their GPS in their pocket, then they stammer a bit, I...uh..well... we ummm.... Then I let them off the hook and introduce myself. It's fun. :D

I was caught once by the cache owner Pic and all...

BMW002 - Candid Cache

Log:

August 4, 2003 by CWL

Now I get name...

I headed up to the cache and evidently I wasn't discreet enough. The local cache owner spotted me nosing around the cache area, and taking the cache back to my car to sign the log.

The cache was completly waterlogged. I was trying to dry out the logbook to sign it and I was approched by one of the cache owners. Doh! She really snuck up on me, I wasn't paying attention. Nice to meet ya by the way.

Tried to sign the log, LN

Thanks for the hunt!

Caught Red Handed!! (Pic)

He caught a few others in the act as well. This one guy had a freaking fit and demanded that he removed his pic from the log!!

I placed a cache that is just outside my office window. The day after I placed it, I saw some folks outside looking conspicuously like cachers (palm out, GPSr on, pacing back and forth...). I went out to say "hello" in my white coat -- wonderful folks!

They told me that their first lock had put them on my roof -- with a chuckle, I let them know that it was not on the roof.

Then they looked up and yelled "Hey, Mike! It's not on the roof!"

...so what should I do?

Still in my white lab coat, I climbed the ladder up to my roof, where I see Mike (a geocacher from out of town whom I had never met...) wandering around, GPS in hand.

Here he is, walking on the roof of a doctor's office in a town that he doesn't really know -- and the doctor just appeared on the roof!

"Uhh.... Do you know anything about geocaching?"

Not a bad answer given the situation!

Since I have a cache in my front yard it happens fairly often. I'll come out and say You found it, and introduce myself and then we talk about caches. And you can see the one that is way up the mountain from my house and I say if this one is too easy go find that one and there is one more up there also.

I've had the pleasure of meeting of lot of nice cachers and their kids with this one, makes this game a real family thing.

Do you ever catch someone in the act when you visit your own cache? How did you handle it? What was their reaction? This probably will happen more often with urban micros, but I'm just curious.  :o

I have placed several micros near work recently, so it's easy to do a drive-by on the way home. I caught one last week who was just opening the container in an exposed public place. He never heard me coming so I barked "Hey whattya doing there"  :D  in my most official mean voice. He jumped, and almost wet himself! :D

Altoids tin- $1.79

Can of silver spray paint- $3.29

Velcro- $1.99

His reaction- Priceless  :P  :P  :D

Thanks for the laugh! That's the funniest thing I heard all day.

That is . . . indeed . . . priceless!

I can't wait to try it myself!

laugh.gif

Happy, Happy caching and stuff! :D

I have a micro hidden at a memorial outside of my office. I can watch people looking for it while I am working (if I'm not too busy). Usually whenever I walk by the window I look outside to see if there might be someone there. The cache has quite a few logs but I have only ever seen people looking for it a few times.

The first time, I saw SSMT out there looking around. I grabbed a smoke and decided to take a smoke break. :o I went outside and he tried to conceal his GPS. I said hi and he mumbled hi to me. I am sure he was thinking "Oh great! Some employee picks NOW to take a smoke break!". I didn't keep him waiting long. I told him I knew what he was doing and the cache he was looking for was mine. :D We had a nice chat and he found the cache. :D

My coworkers (all non-cachers) know the cache is there so they will look out the window when they pass by and let me know if they see people out there on my days off. :P

It has become quite a little game for us. Whenever someone sees people out there, they shout, "Cacher!" and we all crowd around and watch them find it. :P

Whenever someone sees people out there, they shout, "Cacher!" and we all crowd around and watch them find it

That's too funny!

I've placed one in my front yard, and I'm going to put it online today or tomorrow. When I do, I'm going to sit around and watch for the first day. The challenge for my cache is getting it once you find it, so I want to see how ingenious they can be when I sit there telling them they can't use the ladder in plain view on the front porch... :o

We have a cache hidden on a seasonal bridge that is convienent to use when it is open to traffic. We recently stopped when we saw a palm reader and sent our 7 & 9 year olds over to pretend they were looking. They looked for a couple minutes and then yelled huckle buckle. The reaction of the cacher….priceless. We have since become caching friends.

Yep, came up on a cache owner when I was sneaking in to get a travel bug. His co-worker (also a cacher) had come with him, and was, er, "answering the call of nature." I got as close as I could and shouted "What're you doing!?!" If the guy hadn't already been in the act, you betcha he would've. :D

I introduced myself, but politely declined to shake hands... :o

Always "answer the call of nature" AFTER finding the cache. We usually bring tissue and cleansing solution for first aid, after cache digging AND handshaking. :o Usually one of us is wearing some sort of Groundspeak-geo-logo type shirt or hat, so that fellow cachers can spot us. We've spotted others by their garb as well.