Cache Containers

in post 9-11 days people will think anything is a bomb, and the authorities will treat it as such. a while back a carboard box was seen just outside of a post office, somone thought it was a bomb and the cops closed off the whole area until they could blow it up. Turns out it was just a used shipping box that was empty and upside down in the road, simple litter, thats all it was

basically I am saying that as long as you take care not the leave the lableing on the ammo can it will look no more suscpicous than anything else

oh yeah and also, NORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by wildearth2001
Ammo Boxes Should be BANNED!!!

Are we supposed to stop using containers that somehow, somewhere, at sometime may or may not be thought of as "dangerous"?!?!?

Even the "safest" container could still cause problems. The only thing preventing bomb squads from blowing up caches is the owner of the cache. The owner must take into consideration the container, location, and any other factors that may result in the cache being misinterpreted.

Personally, I would like to have stupid people banned, but that's not my decision...

Edited by SnowLeopard

The for this latest bomb scare has a realaudio clip of the story. I love the way they framed the story.

1) Man with trenchcoat (it seemed pretty cold out there)

2) Puts something inside a box

IMO, the hider of the cache should NOT contact the police. I get the distinct feeling they wish to bring charges up on someone. That's just the paranoid part of me....

I prefer ammo can caches. They are watertight and provide a very good seal. I believe they should always be painted and labled. Here is what my ammo cans look like.

21dd1164-cd06-449c-8d75-83a590efa14d.jpg

By covering up all military markings, they don't appear to be as dangerous :(

ps- thanks to criminal for the painting ideas

I prefer ammo can caches. They are watertight and provide a very good seal. I believe they should always be painted and labled. Here is what my ammo cans look like.

21dd1164-cd06-449c-8d75-83a590efa14d.jpg

By covering up all military markings, they don't appear to be as dangerous :mad:

ps- thanks to criminal for the painting ideas

NICE PAINT JOB

Ammo can are the *only* container that I have found to be consistently dry. Even my five year old gets excited when I tell him the container is going to be an ammo can because he knows that content on the cache will be in good shape.

The one thing I've read and seen on the forums that seem like a descent idea is to label the outside of the can, but I'm also convinced that is a bomb squad gets called any kind 'geocaching' label will not make a difference anyway.

BTW Stem, amazing paint job. Do you have you stencil in Word or some such format?

I'm also convinced that is a bomb squad gets called any kind 'geocaching' label will not make a difference anyway.

Depends on the label and the contact information on the outside.

1) The person finding the cache may react better if they don't see the words "explosive" or "ammo" on the side of the container.

2) The person finding the cache may decide to calm down if they see the word "geocache". They may know someone who geocaches.

3) Someone in the police may recognise the word and decide to spend a couple minutes seeing if there's a cache in the area before summoning the bomb squad.

4) They may be able to get ahold of the owner of the cache based on the website or the information on the outside of the cache.

It's all odds and perception. There are things you can do to improve perception and therefore improve your odds.

BTW Stem, amazing paint job. Do you have you stencil in Word or some such format?

I purchased the stencil from sissy-n-cr's website. I got the magnetic one because I am going to almost exclusively do ammo can caches. The stencil is inexpensive and works wonderfully. They are very nice people, and they do have a PDF of it on their site. However, the cost of buying it IMHO is far less than sitting there with an exacto knife trying to cut it out.

Thanks to indymagicman and MREAGLEWO1 for the compliments. Criminal has instructions on how to get this paint effect on his website. I don't have a link handy, but the process is simple. I was very pleased with the results.

From reading the logs it wasn't the fact it was in an ammo can, but possibly too close to homes.  Maybe?  Whatcha think?

Oh, and ammo cans are only metal boxes.  Unless you left the lettering on it, it shouldn't have been any more sinster than a shoebox.

Wow! A year later and nothing has changed.

Edited by Torry

Two scary thoughts:

1. The bomb scare that started this thread said it used a lunch box type container. I suggest that no matter WHAT type of container you use, it may strike someone as a hazzard. If you use a Barbie Doll Thermos and someone calls the cops, it will probably still make the news as a bomb threat. (May as well use something strong and durable and just try to make it look less threatining and make sure you LABEL IT PROPERLY.)

2. The possibility that some freakin' idiot out there will actually make a container and label it with geocache stickers or other geo-identification and actually put a bomb or something else insane in it can really be detrimental to the sport. There are always some losers or lunatics who would do something like that in an attempt to make THEIR dangerous package look LESS threatening.

P.S. Don't mind my bantering. I just really despise terrorists.

:lol:

Mr Snazz you have to be joking about the ammo cans... You stumped your toe on one so they should be banned? Was you barefoot when you went looking for the cache? What happens if you are scratched by a tree limb, should trees be banned? :D

This whole thing is rediculous. The cacher who hides the cache should use common sense. ;)

Doesn't this site frown upon hiding caches under bridges and other places that might draw unwanted attention? I wonder why other sites aren't doing this... ;)

Common sense... that's the bottom line. I won't paint mine red or purple. The camo can above is a great idea. The whole object of this sport is to keep it hidden. Not to arrive at a location and see a Hot Pink ammo can from 30 yards with signs pointing to it. :D

Anyway, ... whatever... :D

Two random thoughts...

In the original post, it was explained that the bomb squad 'searched' the cache. Could you explain further? Typically, if the bomb squad arrives, they blow the sucker up. In that instance, you probably don't want it returned to you.

Second thought... Where do I get a homing device for my cache? Is this item used to track the cache if it has been muggled?

I actually thought about how cool it would be to have something like a Microchip they put in dogs and cats, except with a mini-GPS locator like in your cell phone added to it.

The end stage of a nice multi was recently muggled and a well-traveled travel bug was in the cache.

It would be great to show up at the house of the culprits that did that and ask for the ammo can and contents back. ;)

Two random thoughts...

In the original post, it was explained that the bomb squad 'searched' the cache. Could you explain further? Typically, if the bomb squad arrives, they blow the sucker up. In that instance, you probably don't want it returned to you.

Second thought... Where do I get a homing device for my cache? Is this item used to track the cache if it has been muggled?

they used the robot i heard and they opened it i guess. all i know that the ammo box was still in great condition.

I actually thought about how cool it would be to have something like a Microchip they put in dogs and cats, except with a mini-GPS locator like in your cell phone added to it.

You realize that that microchip works about the same as the mag strip on a credit card. It isn't a beacon that helps you home in on your dog, it just allows a vet or someone at the dog pound to be able to scan the animal and get the owner's info.

2 easy ways to not get your cach blown up:

1) Hide it good put it somewhere only geocachers could find it - dont put right on the public trail where muggles can see it

2) lable it and yes i know this wont stop the bomb squad but it could stop muggles from calling it in

When I have placed caches in the past I have always used clear "gladware" type containers. I like to see these in highly populated places because someone would be able to see the contents right away limiting the "fear factor".

As far as caches out in BFE then I prefer to see ammo boxes and coffee cans as they usually hide alot of good stuff. ;)