Cache Containers

Hello,

Just to let you fellow Geocachers know, Ammo Boxes are not the best container to be used. I used the Ammo box for a while and I found out today that people called the BOMB SQUAD and AUTHORITIES about it. The bomb squad team searched it since it was a ammo box. I believe another type of container that is "see-through" such as tupperware containers.

MREAGLEWO1

Well, here's a fresh new topic that hasn't been discussed!

pssst! Theres like 5 other threads posted in the last week discussing this....

I guess we should also shouldn't use clear tupperware containers, because they have triggered bomb scares too. Oh, and don't use wooden boxes, the ATF will come investigate. BTW, they might evacuate the area if your cache looks like a cell phone too.

Better stick to virtuals.... uhm....skip that thought.

Lets just stop geocaching.

I've come across a few ammo boxes that have been re-painted. It makes them look a bit less frightening.

... and as long as they aren't camo'ed they can be easier to spot, especially at night.

I guess anything with Arabic writing would be a bad idea...

I've come across a few ammo boxes that have been re-painted. It makes them look a bit less frightening.

... and as long as they aren't camo'ed they can be easier to spot, especially at night.

I guess anything with Arabic writing would be a bad idea...

i wonder what ACME looks like in arabic? :D

Hello,

Just to let you fellow Geocachers know, Ammo Boxes are not the best container to be used. I used the Ammo box for a while and I found out today that people called the BOMB SQUAD and AUTHORITIES about it. The bomb squad team searched it since it was a ammo box. I believe another type of container that is "see-through" such as tupperware containers.

MREAGLEWO1

In my opinion, from my experience, ammo boxes are the very best cache containers that you can use! :D Never found one yet that was even the slightest bit damp on the inside, and that includes one that had been under 3 feet of water for a couple of weeks! :D

I was thinking of a hollowed out black bowling ball with a foot of thick frayed rope coming out of it.

That reminds me of a non-geocaching story...

I used to have this friend. He was known amongst his peers as being the "mad scientist" type. Hands down, he was the smartest person I ever knew. Good with electronics, he built a tesla coil (largest in the U.S. at the time) for Knotts Scary Farm when he was 18. He was also very good with chemistry - so much so that he once had his house raided when a teacher found out he was (successfully) making nitroglycerin in his mother's kitchen. He was also arrested on the set of the Arsenio Hall show for "acts of terrorism" (tossing nitrogen triiodide crystals on the stage).

Anyhow, this friend showed up at a party once. About half the people there knew him; some better than others. He walked in with a bowling ball that had the finger holes filled in and had been painted flat black. Sticking out of a small black cap on the top was about 8 inches of cannon fuse. You know the stuff - thick, green and very steady burning. He set the "bomb" down in the middle of the living room, took out a lighter, lit the fuse and RAN LIKE HECK out into the driveway. Everyone that only sort-of knew him followed him right out, genuinely terrified. Those that knew him better played along. The rest stood around looking like deer caught in headlights, wondering whether or not they should believe that the "bomb" was real.

Of course, it was fake, but boy was that a great moment. :D

I really miss Mike. He was one of the greats. :D

I found this cache and I remember thinking that it was hidden too close to houses. A very noisey dog barks when you are in the cache area. It only seemed like a matter of time before the neighbors would investigate. The park was nice and so was the hide, just to close to muggleville.

It's interesting all the threads about bomb squads and caches lately. I'm seeing several mention GC stickers and painting phone numbers or email addresses or contact info on the sides of caches. :D

None of these stories mention anyone getting close enough to read the box, and if you can read an email addy or phone number or "Official Geocache Game Piece - Do Not Remove" from a distance, it's not hidden! :D

I really miss Mike. He was one of the greats.

Lemme guess...his last words were, "Hey, y'all, watch this!" :D

Nope, it was "Red to red. Black to, um, er..."

Nah, he'd never have gotten those mixed up. :D

Along with having been wired exceptionally well upstairs, some of those wires were also crossed. He took his own life about 10 years ago. :D

From a brits point of view , tupperware "lunchbox" containers were the container of choice for improvised devices of an exploding variety back in the 90's for a particular "political" group

IMHO and experiance any investigator worth his salt will try to verify if its a bomb ( dadgum said it ) or someones sock collection

Hello,

MREAGLEWO1

In my opinion, from my experience, ammo boxes are the very best cache containers that you can use! :D Never found one yet that was even the slightest bit damp on the inside, and that includes one that had been under 3 feet of water for a couple of weeks! :D

I thought so too -- but last week I opened a large ammo can and found condensation on the inside of the lid -- how odd! Have you ever experienced that before?

Enough bomb squad posts!

They will blow it up if they are suspicious.

Geocaching stickers can be bought by anyone, even bombers.

Geocaching stickers can be GIMP'd or Photoshop'd to the heart's desire of a a mad bomber.

No sticker you put on there is going to stop a bomb squad who is suspicious

No label either, except (possibly) your phone or email address and that is even EXTREMELY doubtful.

As anything you put a cache in can look like a bomb, and nothing you can do to modify the container will make it look any less like a bomb, you just have to take your chances and play the game according to the rules. If some muggle finds it, and freaks, chances are your cache is going to die at the hands of the police. If your cache was legally placed, you are going to be out 10 bucks. Let this topic go.

I haven't read all the posts so I'll respond directly to this. I have 60 some caches active and about 50 are in ammo boxes. The bomb squad hasn't been called out for any of them and I doubt they will ever be, because they are well hidden in places people won't venture unless they are looking for them.

Besides, the "bomb squad" has been called out for Tupperware, tackle boxes and numerous other containers, so why single out ammo boxes? How about instead, using common sense when hiding a cache?

I cant believe how hard it is to get in touch with them to get my cache back! It is only taken almost 2 weeks, and still cant get in touch with them.

Do you know who has it? Perhaps one of the nearby homeowner got sick of geocachers making their dogs bark and snatched it...or called the cops regarding suspicious activity near their homes.