Poison Ivy In Ontario

PDOP's

This topic in the General Forum goes into excruciating detail about the effects of Poison Ivy (and Poison Oak). I'll be travelling to the Ottawa area this summer and plan to do a lot of caching on the trip and while I'm there. How worried should I be about encountering Poison Ivy in Ontario?

Well.... There IS PI in ON. Lots of it depending on where you go. For example, if you go North of Aliston on CFB Borden, they actually PLANTED the stuff as a defence experiment back in the 50's and 60's. It's a wicked hybred and very potent. The whole place is crawling with the stuff!

Elsewhere in Ontario there are areas with lots and areas with none. I can't speak for Ottawa but I can confirm there is PI in ON.

Oh, its out there alright! Three springs ago I got it b-a-a-a-a-a-d near where I live here in Bolton. (I can tell you exactly where if you want to explore yourself!) I had no idea how nasty this stuff was until that fateful day. You have not learned the meaning of the word itchy until you've had poison ivy. I got it first on my ankle (didn't realize) and then it spread to my waist when I, ahem, adjusted my riding shorts. Not only was it increadibly itchy, but it swelled up and started oozing. My skin was so hard and gross that I thought that it would permanently scar. Caladryl lotion was the only thing that seemed to help - and it only helped a little, although it did dry it out which seemed to help it heal. Certainly was more appealing than an oozing lump. (would you believe I'm itching as I type this?!?!) I can now spot it at 50 paces and steer well clear of it. Actually, I learned its really only bad in late May and early June. As the summer progresses it loses its potency.

Leaves of three - let them be!!

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

I live in Ottawa, well outside Ottawa but all my caching is done in or around Ottawa.

I have never encountered poison ivy in my life. I have spend a good deal of time in the bush in Ontario and Quebec, and have never had a run it with it.

Just me though....

Scott

Lucky SOB! :D

Funny that you mentioned this topic .

There was an article in the paper here in Toronto this week that they are going to do some burning in High Park.

They said they would release a warning the day before and those suffing from breathing problems and sensitive to poison ivy and are down wind should stay in doors. I guess when it burns the nasty stuff must travel in the smoke and still effect you.

And I agree with mrcpu about Borden, summer of my basic there in 80 about half the course had it after we went went out on a night ex. The place is full of it. And my brother had it bad from time to time when he was stationed in Pet with the RCR's.

The funny times were when some came to the medics and they had it on there knees and butts when I was staff there for 4 summers. :lol:

:D

Edited by gm100guy