Best Way To Promote The Sport

T.N.L.N

This year (or is it next year, I can't remember) the world championship of orienteering is held in my hometown of Västerås in Sweden.

Here we do not, as far as I know, have any organized events to promote geocaching. I don't know if there are any clubs of any cind.

I thought that the world championship would be a god event for promoting geocaching. After all it's allmost the same thing. I just don't know how or what to do.

If you have done something to promote the sport before or if you have any ideas that I could do something serious with, please post them here.

I know there are some active people in my area, but I don't know them. I have visited some of their caches and read their logs so maybe if you are reading this we could team up and do something together.

I'm the cind of guy that come up with ideas but I'm still learning to follow through with my ideas, so maybe we need a "doer" on the team as well.

Just thought I'd reply cause it didn't seem like anyone else was going to...

My suggestion would be to contact the event promoters and see if you can set up a booth at the competition. Then maybe print out a bunch of letters explaining geocaching and maybe bring a few caches to show as examples.

My question is what language do they speak in Sweden? I can help you if it's English, but otherwise, you'll need to look other places for help.

You could also check out the Nordic and Baltic Country Forums

Well, if you want to build up the membership locally, you could try calling the bomb squad on the various caches in your area. They'd come out, check it out and be intrgiued and wanna take up the sport, thus increasing the pool of members!

Of course, they'd blow up a few caches in the process, but what are you gonna do? Get enough to join and they'll eventually place their own, right? :D

The sport seems to grow by contact. Like a virus. Start placing caches, post them and see what happens. If there is a sporting goods store nearby that sells GPSr's try to get them to post a flyer or at least a few geocaching stickers.

It seems to take only a few people to get things rolling in any area.

Well, if you want to build up the membership locally, you could try calling the bomb squad on the various caches in your area. They'd come out, check it out and be intrgiued and wanna take up the sport, thus increasing the pool of members!

Of course, they'd blow up a few caches in the process, but what are you gonna do? Get enough to join and they'll eventually place their own, right? :D

So is that before or AFTER they arrest you for false reporting? Reporting a bomb that isn't IS a crime in most states...

Plus they'll bill you for the semtec they use blowing up those innocent caches...

Sam...

Gosh you people know nothing about being a good ambassador or what?

Try just planning and event an posting it and asking your fellow geocachers to each take one task. Check out our event coming up in CT. It's the second annual GeoJamboree you can search by name for the first annual event. Walt of Connecticut A-Team has organized this event two years running, thus far, and even though we had heavy rain the first day of the event last year, everyone stayed and cached and had a great time. We organize camping events, canoeing events, beach events and if you post it they will come. If everyone takes one task, and all bring home what they came with, it's so simple. See how Walt has delegated tasks and others have taken them on. Find someone to deal with permission, someone else for organizing cache hiding, food, campsites, etc, what ever you decide to do. Walt has Police and EMS coming to train and learn how to use a GPS and cachers will play victims in the woods or teach GPS usage. It should be a lot of fun, plus we have caches on both sides of the river, giving us camping, picnicking, hiking and boating, along with a learning experience. I want to play a victim, but I'm the food committee. Hopefully I won't be my own victim, eh? :lol:

(Disclaimer: Planet is a good cook)

Edited by Planet