The Truth About "stats"

There's no need to apologize for something that is closer to the truth than anything else you said. But that's okay, you've made a point for me.

Also, shall I refresh your memory of this thread?

I wonder how one would know so much about an incident? Quite frankly, I don't recall ever being contacted by her and it was I who requested the log be changed yet instead she choose to delete the story, not make it a note or DNF. Remember, this was my first encounter with this team and was still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in the sport. Heck, as evidenced by my post I didn't even know she was a she!

I very much take exception to being called a liar. But for the record, I'll check my email logs and report back. I'm always prepared to eat crow and I will if I find any email on my system resembling anything you describe.

But for now, let's get back to the dicussion at hand, shall we?

Here's my take on it: I don't log online because I don't want my stats out there, for my own reasons. I don't have to explain it to anyone, I just don't want them out there. I would love to log online without having stats, don't get me wrong. Calling me a "parasite" is outta line.

Here's my take on it: I don't log online because I don't want my stats out there, for my own reasons. I don't have to explain it to anyone, I just don't want them out there. I would love to log online without having stats, don't get me wrong. Calling me a "parasite" is outta line.

It's not out of line. My family and I have placed the caches that we have placed because we love getting the emails and reading people's experiences when looking for our caches. People that don't do that are taking away the whole purpose of us putting those caches out. Taking, not giving. That is the basic definition of a parasite.

So basically, I don't want anyone that is not going to log online to hunt my caches. Maybe I should put that in the cache description. I really don't care what your reason is. Maybe you are super paranoid. Maybe you have an ineriority complex. I don't care. I know I don't live in your area, and I've only got a measly 3 caches out there anyways, but as long as you are not logging, I DO NOT want you or anyone else that doesn't log online to hunt my caches!

This topic seems to be taking a turn for the worse.

--RuffRidr

Labeling "ghost" finders (who only find and do not hide caches) as parasites is somewhat apt. BUT it doesn't matter whether you call them parasites, ghosts, or hoo-ba-joos, because as a cache hider you have to accept that there are parasites in geocaching as there are ticks in the woods feeding off of hikers and animals.

The fact that someone is willing to dadgum the online log system and continue to play the game their way is something you have to accept. Besides statistics, there is very little effect on the system as a whole that has been established. Whether that truly puts a damper in a statistics system based on the online logs is up to what you want from the statistics. The numbers are only as ugly a beast as you give them credit for.

If you don't believe that they are a true representative of anything important, then they won't be. Some people don't believe in batting average, God, and America's international goodwill. To those people, none of those concepts mean anything. To those that do believe, they can mean something or everything. If I want to know an average of how many caches a specific cacher found in the past 30 days and they wanted to let me know, then so be it.

This isn't really a hard concept. There are ways now of not letting me know (e.g., not logging online). The hobby and website still go on. All some of us are asking for is a way to organize all of these numbers since the software is powerful enough to organize them for us without each of us developing individual solutions that bring the website to a screeching halt when they update themselves. Nothing that can't already be gotten would be introduced, and some people might even begin logging online if they knew that their statistics could be hidden from view by opt-out programs. This would alleviate some of the "why didn't you tell me it was missing with a DNF???" that has been discussed.

I'm not sure why there has to be any more discussion on the topic, since having organized statistics that you can opt-out of (or force me to opt-into) would only be a reorganization of the data already available.

It's not out of line. My family and I have placed the caches that we have placed because we love getting the emails and reading people's experiences when looking for our caches. People that don't do that are taking away the whole purpose of us putting those caches out. Taking, not giving. That is the basic definition of a parasite.

So basically, I don't want anyone that is not going to log online to hunt my caches. Maybe I should put that in the cache description. I really don't care what your reason is. Maybe you are super paranoid. Maybe you have an ineriority complex. I don't care. I know I don't live in your area, and I've only got a measly 3 caches out there anyways, but as long as you are not logging, I DO NOT want you or anyone else that doesn't log online to hunt my caches!

This topic seems to be taking a turn for the worse.

--RuffRidr

If you come up with a way to stop me or anyone else from finding your caches, lemme know.....til then, I will continue to play the game any way I like...

Later.

Too easy...the given coordinates are offset. In order to get the offset, you need to solve this puzzle and e-mail me your GC.com username and the confirmation word. I have an e-mail box setup that recognizes only the right word in the subject line. It then cross-validates that you have found at least X caches. If you are "ghosting" or a newbie, then you will be unable to do this cache. If you meet the criteria, the program you e-mailed will send you the offset.

The military would call the newbies "collateral damage".

If you come up with a way to stop me or anyone else from finding your caches, lemme know.....til then, I will continue to play the game any way I like...

Later.

So do you agree with the pirates who take others caches against their wishes? Afterall, they are playing the game they want to.

--RuffRidr

I'd like to see stats posted on the site -- most finds, highest score (finds * difficulty level), most active in last 30 days, etc.... The more the better. However, to be meaningful, they need to include ALL players in this game. Players should be able to opt out from having their particular stats listed, but their stats do need to be included in the underlying calculations.

My family and I have placed the caches that we have placed because we love getting the emails and reading people's experiences when looking for our caches. People that don't do that are taking away the whole purpose of us putting those caches out.

Huh. So, at what point does a log cross the line from "TNLNSL", and become entertaining? Do you delete substandard logs?

My family and I have placed the caches that we have placed because we love getting the emails and reading people's experiences when looking for our caches. People that don't do that are taking away the whole purpose of us putting those caches out.

Huh. So, at what point does a log cross the line from "TNLNSL", and become entertaining? Do you delete substandard logs?

Geesh -- talk about over-generalizing an issue. Lighten up, its just a game.

Um, it doesn't cross the line. As a cache placer I ask that you log your find online. Although, I'd prefer to see a nice post talking about the journey there, or the search that insued, I realize that is not always going to happen. Sometimes people are in a hurry, sometimes it is their way of saying they didn't care for the cache, sometimes they have 50 to log and they really don't remember much about it. I just ask that you log it online.

--RuffRidr

Geesh -- talk about over-generalizing an issue. Lighten up, its just a game.

i almost had a locationless taken away from me because i didn't write a good enough log the first time. sheesh! we are all not gore vidal or john updike. i was there, that should be enough.

But for the record, I'll check my email logs and report back. I'm always prepared to eat crow and I will if I find any email on my system resembling anything you describe.

Here I am quoting myself again, but I don't want anyone to accuse me of not following through.

Because there is no way to prove a negative I can only say I have not recieved any email from CCCooperAgency, ever. I wish I had a way to prove it, but I can't. Jeremy could scour the site email logs if it was important enough for him.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Later.

So do you agree with the pirates who take others caches against their wishes? Afterall, they are playing the game they want to.

--RuffRidr

Come on now..this has nothing to do with pirates....and no, I do not condone their actions...in fact I was one of the most vocal opponents of pirate actions that happened down here in AZ...

You should really read about my contributions to the game before putting me (or anyone else, for that matter) in the "parasite" category. :lol:

Um, it doesn't cross the line. As a cache placer I ask that you log your find online. Although, I'd prefer to see a nice post talking about the journey there, or the search that insued, I realize that is not always going to happen. Sometimes people are in a hurry, sometimes it is their way of saying they didn't care for the cache, sometimes they have 50 to log and they really don't remember much about it. I just ask that you log it online.

--RuffRidr

IP/BKOS/GBN/ETC...

[Come on now..this has nothing to do with pirates....and no, I do not condone their actions...in fact I was one of the most vocal opponents of pirate actions that happened down here in AZ...

You should really read about my contributions to the game before putting me (or anyone else, for that matter) in the "parasite" category. :lol:

Look, if you want to keep your stats hidden, that is your deal. I am all for a system that lets people who want their stats shown to be able to compare them against other people who wish to be shown. Those that don't should be able to opt out. Until gc.com implements such a system we are stuck with what we have. I would think you would be arguing FOR a system like this, not against it.

Now currently if everyone did as you and didn't log online, what incentive would there be for placing caches? There would be no feedback to the cache placer at all! How boring would that be? Thankfully, most people don't have your problem.

As for the pirate analogy, it was being used in the context of people playing their own game, not the action in general. I was not saying they are morally equivalent.

--RuffRidr

You take the time to email. It does tell the owner whats going on and adds to their enjoyment of having placed the cache

Ignoring stats I like the logs because that email will turn into vapor and the stories you tell about the cache will be lost to that caches history. When geocachingworldwide bit the bit bucket it was a loss to lose the logs and caches the site had. Even if most of them migrated to GC.com there are stories out there waiting to be recovered.