Alchemy Quest - Markb

Now normally cache advertising is not allowed here, but this series of caches has got to be the exception. I'm very happy to see them given all the publicity they need.

I know MarcB has spent an awful lot of time setting them up and I was delighted to be able to approve them all in one hit.

Go get them guys and gals...... :):)

Now who's going to be FTF??????

Sure has boosted the caches in my area :D :D and well planned too. I am looking forward to finding them all after the FTF rush :D (I am betting aRRKs or The Haywood Hornet)

arrks has until tomorrow 9am to find it, then at least one of them is meant to be working for three days. Sure they'll be chuffed to be mentioned in the same breath as hornet :-)

But their latest logs were found whilst their kids were still in bed - now who's telling social services? ;-)

arrks has until tomorrow 9am to find it, then at least one of them is meant to be working for three days. Sure they'll be chuffed to be mentioned in the same breath as hornet :-)

But their latest logs were found whilst their kids were still in bed - now who's telling social services? ;-)

:o Operation Chemical aRRKS commences with deployment of kids to grandparents 18:00 08/04/04, second stage commences 05:00 09/04/04, final stage to be confirmed (hospital/pub as required) :D

I might :P:D I had planned to be the FTF on that cache saw it sunday night,I was going to get it monday night on way home along with the TB. But NO they sneak in first thing in the morning :o:D:P

As for the quest Unless seasiders done it (No logs yet) looks like The Haywood Hornet is closest

Edited by Deego

An excellent series with a brilliant theme, well chosen locations and well hidden caches. :o:D

And with a joker thrown in at Ironbridge! :D:P

It was a great idea to have a multi level series in spread out locations - there was a real sense of anticipation when I opened each log book to see whether someone was ahead of me in the gold rush! :P

In the end I bagged 13/15 FTFs but it was only when The Haywood Hornet & myself discovered that we were FTF at Iron (my 11th cache with Steel, Mercury and Sulphur left) that I knew I couldn't be beaten to Gold! :D

A superb couple of days out - my most enjoyable to date. :D

Many congratulations to Marc B! :mad::mad:

Cheers!

Seasider

this series should not be members only

I hadn't noticed it was subscriber-only. I also don't particularly have a problem with this - especially with the current cache-clearing antics in the neighbourhood.

We took advantage of the very good exchange rate to join in March. It really is exceedingly good value at the moment - only £16.67 for a year.

I also think it's up to the hider to determine if it should be subscriber-only or not.

Cheers,

Stu

I hadn't noticed it was subscriber-only. I also don't particularly have a problem with this - especially with the current cache-clearing antics in the neighbourhood.

That's exactly the reason. I had a chat with Nige and we decided it was the best way to try and safeguard what was a very complicated series.

As you say Stu, the annual subs are really very modest and I reckon good value, even if you only get to do this one series :lol:

I sense some sort of right-wing geocaching conspiracy at work here! :D Is it a coincidence that this awesome multi-level multi-cache experience appears the day after an unnamed North American-based cacher travels back across the pond to the colonies? :D Could The Powers That Be want to keep this cache trek out of the hands of non-UK cachers as long as possible? :D Enquiring minds want to know! :D

Seriously folks, congrats and kudos to MarcB for what appears to be a fantastic caching marathon! I always look forward to my next UK trip, but now have even more to look forward to!!! I wonder if NeilFord will be available for my next trip to act as my chauffeur again? And is night-caching an option? :lol:

And only 13 of 15 possible FTFs for Seasider?!?!? Apparently he was hampered by his walker as he stumped around Shropshire! :D

Oh -- my 2 pence on the Members Only issue -- I would have kept it Members Only for longer; for something as good as the Alchemy series membership SHOULD have its privileges! :D

Oh -- my 2 pence on the Members Only issue -- I would have kept it Members Only for longer; for something as good as the Alchemy series membership SHOULD have its privileges! :lol:

What he said :D

I hadn't even noticed that it was members only, but then being a member i probably wouldn't.

I set my first "Member Only" cache last month and thought about changing it for every one, but then as you said, it's nice to have a few perks as a paid up member, especially at the small cost.

BTW, congrats to MarcB on the series of caches, i look forward to starting my quest on Friday, but I think I will take my time over it. :D

I also look forward to other cachers comming up with something even better (if that is possible???)

:D

Seriously folks, congrats and kudos to MarcB for what appears to be a fantastic caching marathon! I always look forward to my next UK trip, but now have even more to look forward to!!! I wonder if NeilFord will be available for my next trip to act as my chauffeur again? And is night-caching an option? :lol:

I was seriously considering trying to escape this weekend to tackle this, but family commitments (and Natalie with a baseball bat and muttering something about wedding anniversary) have prevented that.

So I'm up for it when you are next over. I now have a reliable gpsr, have invested in a head torch and will endeavour not to break any part of my anatomy between now and then :-)

Congrats to Seasider btw.... funny understanding of the word retirement though.

- Neil

(who has Premium Membership under the SmudgyPixels ID).

Whats this reliable GPSr you have Neil? :lol: ...It looks like a hasselblad.

Oh that.... it's Nikon D100 plus vertical grip with 24-120 lens plus hood. The picture was taken Natalie, probably at the wide end of her 28-200.

I actually don't lust after a 'Blad as I've embraced digital and medium format digital is just too darn expensive to be practical. Though if someone was to give me an H1 and digital back I wouldn't turn it away :-)

Getting this slightly back on subject, I'm now the proud owner for a Geko 201, having relegated the Fortuna Clip-On to the in-car use only.

- Neil.

Congrats to Seasider btw.... funny understanding of the word retirement though.

:lol: I've retired from cache tours but will still do day caching where I can drive there and back in a day - and Shropshire/South Staffordshire are within range for me (certainly for a series like this) being only 100 miles away! :D

Cheers!

Seasider (semi-retired)!

members only is not £16+ - its way less than that - partly because of the excellent exchange rate and also because you can subscribe for a month, get the details and then cancel your subs - costing you about £2. And if you can't afford that......then i doubt you could afford the petrol to do the caches (i'm assuming you are not going to walk to them all!)

:) Operation Chemical aRRKS commences with deployment of kids to grandparents 18:00 08/04/04, second stage commences 05:00 09/04/04, final stage to be confirmed (hospital/pub as required) :D

:rolleyes::tongue: Well we did it. Started at 04:00 and finished at 19:15. Probably took us less time than we had planned due to meeting Starfix at the first cache and discovering that he also intended to do them all in one day. This turned it into a bit of race and the best bit was we had worked out slightly different plans so the anticipation as we got to each new cache helped to build up the excitement of the find. Our paths crossed several times but we knew we could do it first when we met at Sulphur to find that he hadn't done Mercury.

The final stage was neither hospital nor the pub - it was shower and bed.

Thanks again to MarcB for the huge amount of time and effort that must have gone into placing the series, each cache was in it's own great spot but to combine them into this brilliant multi was inspired.

PS Just to squash any rumours of child neglect I had also left 'K' in bed to do Above the Deep. And he was still there when I got back :bad:

We started on the Alchemy Quest today, and it has really struck me what a great sport Geocaching is. Having seen all these logs for doing the series in a day, we decided that four of the first-layer caches would make a good start. The second one we tried, however, killed us off (Copper, incidentally).

It really sunk in that this is a sport you can take at your own pace. A fit, outdoor enthusiast can go for the series in a day. We can potter at two and still make progress.

Neither team is better or worse than the other.

We're quite competetive about FTFs in our local area, but knew we'd never get this one, so left it to the pros.

Thanks to MarcB for 2 locations so far, and looking forward to many more.

Cheers,

Stu

So anyway, as I was saying on the log of Alchemy Quest (sodium), it struck me as I walked back to the car that Marc must have a formidable knowledge of the country between Stafford and Wolverhampton to know all these superb locations he's used in this and the road to the Wrekin series.

I've been in Wolverhampton now for sixteen years and walked quite a bit of the west side in that time. However, I've found more treasures (in the sense of scenic spots) in the last three months of geocaching than I did throughout the rest of that time. Unfortunately, they are all places with caches already in situ.

A huge thank you to Marc, Jim Stabler and all you others who have set these fantastic hides.

So, am I the first from the London area to complete the Quest?

I did it in two trips - got the first layer on the first, and finished it on the second, which was a long weekend based in Rhayader, mid Wales...

I refuse to calculate the amount of petrol used, but it was far more than my annual Geocaching subscription - which would barely have bought me enough to get to the first cache!

Bob Aldridge