Backpack Accessory?

Team DEMP

I have a backpack that I like. It's comfortable, the right size for what I carry, laid out well, etc. What it is missing are any loops/clips on the front side of the straps to hang/hold/clip items like a GPS, FRS radio, etc. on that would make them easily accessible.

I was wondering if there's some sort of add-on accessory I might be able to connect to or wrap around the existing straps that would provide a couple of those loops/clips to hang stuff from. I looked in the Campmor catalog/online site and didn't see anything. Did a couple searches and came up empty, but I might not be using the right search keywords for what it might be called.

Thanks!

David

To add a loop or attach an article I use Velcro strap material that has the loop surface on one side and the hook surface on the other. When you wrap it into a circle it sticks to itself. I usually get it at Lowe's but any building supply center or fabric shop should carry it. It also works well for extension cords and things you need to bundle.

I use it for the GPS, clothing, fishing rods, and even a 12 Gauge shotgun in bear country.

For the GPS container, I use a SealLine Electronic Case. It is a see-through water-tight case available from Campmor.com and other camping suppliers. It is like a very heavy-duty zip-lock bag with a bright nylon strap and attachment points.

Edited by Strider_Greybeard

Planet, really not as ingenious as I might seem :lol: my

Kelty

day pack came with 2 of them. They call them zippered waistbelt pockets. They are handy for keeping a few items up front when the pack is on the back but they're not the securest as they tend to fall off the belt when I unbuckle it. Also they're not large enough to store my 76s in... I'm still on the hunt for that right piece of equipment too.

About the 2-sided Velcro straps--they are wonderful!

I bought the smaller ones at Staples (5 to a pack), and the larger ones at Home Depot. The larger ones are meant for heavy-duty use, like managing garden hoses, etc.

All have a wider end with a hole that you can feed the other end through. This way, at least on my little area of the planet, they find permanent places on my cables and cords. Being an amateur radio operator, I have all kinds of cords, and the straps make for a quick setup/takedown.

I don't know if this helps you, but I think I have another idea of something I can tuck into a cache! :D

Good luck in your search. I know REI carries a backpack cover in a case that both clips nicely onto a 1" wide strap and clips into a standard 1" squeeze-snap buckle, but I doubt that helps with a backpack like you describe. They have all sorts of doodads, so you might find what you're looking for.

Hi,

I just got a great GPS case that clips on to my backpack strap from EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports). They call it a cell phone case, but I came right out and told the woman behind the counter that I was going to store my GPS unit in it, and she didn't call anyone (like the mattress-tag police :) ).

It cost me $8, is padded, and has a pocket for batteries...I'm sure that you could spend more, but why would you?

NFA