The Bugs Are Coming The Bugs Are Coming!

JMBella

This is a great article about the emergence of the Cecada. I figured I would post it so nobody freaks out thinking it was the end of the world while out geocaching. These bug emerge once every 17 years, we're talking billions of them. Basically the come out from the ground, they crawl up anything vertical, they mate, then they keel over and die. Nice life.

I can see it now. A new hiding technique. Hidden under a mound of Cicadas and branches.

Edited by JMBella

I have edited your topic title from "The Bus are Coming" to "The Bugs are Coming." Twice.

When you have recovered your laughed-off posterior, kindly sit on it, look at your monitor, find the link to the article you were trying to discuss in this thread, and post that link, so as to avoid further degeneration of this topic into something out of a Seinfeld episode.

Behold the power of cheese.

EDIT: Ahhhh, the link was posted while I was typing this masterpiece of moderation. My work is done here.

:)NM

Edited by Keystone Approver
We had a hatch near here around 4-5 years back. I remember that I specifically went camping to hear them, but I'm pretty nerdy about such things.

Hmmm.

People look at me funny when I say things like that.

(Or maybe they just look at me funny all of the time...)

Edited by mihiker
Other people plan camping trips timed in the middle of the outbreak, because they want to experience it in its full intensity," he said.

Having experienced the living hell this results in all I had to ask myself what kind of person whould want to camp in that insanity storm.

We had a hatch near here around 4-5 years back. I remember that I specifically went camping to hear them, but I'm pretty nerdy about such things.

Now I know.

Well, as they said back in the 60's-either you're on the bus or you're off the bus. :)

Ohh bugs, then this is BOT: According to Kritsky, the best time to eat a cicada is just after they break open their youthful skin. "When you eat them when they're soft and mushy, when they come out of their skin, they taste like cold, canned asparagus," he said.

Speaking as someone who has cooked and eaten more bugs than most of you; um no thanks. I only get paid to deal with it once a year. :)

About 5 yrs ago we had a "outbreak" of them here.. my brother and I both walked around thinking we were hearing things till one day he said.. hey do you hear that? We are both city kids..it was creepy.. mom lives on 5 acres of woodland and the noise about drove me to drink while I was there!!!!

Love the new avatar JMBella :D:D

Way to take the proactive approach about the teasing that you will / are goin to receive

I've been surprisingly spared.

I could have sworn the cicadas were here a few years ago...

The cicadas had a small emergence in 2000. That was nothing compared to what's coming.

Speaking as someone who has cooked and eaten more bugs than most of you; um no thanks. I only get paid to deal with it once a year. 

Fried crickets aren't bad. Those should be added to the menu.

We served some last year that were imported from Nigeria. Larger than my thumb! Crunchy outside, buttery inside. Needed lots of salt though.