Underwater Boxes

I just bought a Pelican micro case (model 1050) from REI for use as an underwater cache. I'm planning to place it on a tidal flat in Cape Cod bay once summer gears up -- tether it to a chuck of cinder block or hunk of iron. It will float in 3 or 4 feet of water half the day; dry or in inches of water the rest of the time.

Has anyone ever used one of these boxes (caching or otherwise)? Any opinions?

They are great boxes, but a bit expensive for a cache container. Not sure how they'd hold up to extended exposure in salt water though. I'd use a log made out of waterproof paper like National Geographic Adventure Paper just in case.

Edited by briansnat

I used that same box for a cache that was about 8 ft underwater. The contents remained dry for the two weeks that the cache lasted. Unfortunately I underestimated current velocity, and when a storm / high flow situation occurred, the cache was lost. Hope your works well. Use heavy blocks!

I used that same box for a cache that was about 8 ft underwater. The contents remained dry for the two weeks that the cache lasted. Unfortunately I underestimated current velocity, and when a storm / high flow situation occurred, the cache was lost. Hope your works well. Use heavy blocks!

Using a nice container like that, I would be a lot more worried about sticky fingers than I would about the forces of mother nature! All the same, good luck!

I just bought a Pelican micro case (model 1050) from REI for use as an underwater cache. I'm planning to place it on a tidal flat in Cape Cod bay once summer gears up -- tether it to a chuck of cinder block or hunk of iron. It will float in 3 or 4 feet of water half the day; dry or in inches of water the rest of the time.

Has anyone ever used one of these boxes (caching or otherwise)? Any opinions?

I have used these type of boxes before, but no underwater caches for me yet..

I like them alot

dave(dhenning25)