Any Rules of Thumb for Seeking Caches?

Guest Lou C

Guest Lou C

Since I have only 5 finds under my belt, I still consider myself a relative beginner. I was wondering if some of you more experienced cache seekers had any rules of thumb you use in locating a cache?

In these 5 finds, I have already developed a technique of my own that works well for me. My GPS seems to be quite accurate at locating the cache when I am some distance away from it - maybe a few hundred feet or so. As I walk, I watch the arrow point to the cache a few hundred feet away or so. Then I read the distance from the GPS and look in the direction it is pointing and it generally will set my eye within a few feet of the actual cache. I was, and others have been frustrated when we rode the GPS arrow right in to the cache only to see the arrow and distance measurement start to go whacky when the distances are small.

Another I have heard somewhere on these forums is to get either the longitude OR the latitude to equal that of the cache's specified value. Then using a compass, walk along the other line until that number compares.

We all can learn from each other so if any of you care to share your secrets, I would be all ears. Thanks in advance.

Lou

Guest DParesh

I'm even newer than you (3 finds!!) but what I seem to be doing already, is walk somewhat in a circle around where the stash should be, keeping about 60 feet or so from the indicated location. That's what I ended up doing today anyway, after I walked by it several times! hahaha

Ron

Guest EraSeek

Try out various things of your own, but I usually get fairly close, then try to walk BY the cache area while watching the compass arrow. It will point right to it while walking by. Then I watch the Lat and Long numbers and match the last few numbers up with the cache numbers. Then I just look for the obvious spot.

Guest Iron Chef

My general rule is to not make things harder than they really have to be. More often than not the cache is right there under your nose. ;~)

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest Lou C

Yes, Iron Chef I agree. Actually, I am glad the GPS does not guide me right up to the box - how much fun would that be? For me, getting to the cache is half the fun and finding it is the other half.

Lou

Guest bunkerdave

Just found #101 yesterday, so I guess I am experienced, though I only started April 26th. Say what you will. icon_smile.gif

I like to try to find it with the compass screen - my Map330 uses a sun/moon compass instead of a north compass, seems to work better. I will look around a bit just with that, and after a few minutes, I will switch to the screen that shows the coords and make sure my coords match the waypoint in my gps. It is not hard to remember the last three digits of the LAT and LON, so just use those. Obviously, there comes a point when the GPS has done its work, and you have to actually open your eyes and search. This is often the best part. Look for disturbed areas, first of all, and if it is a newer cache, look for "unnaturally placed" objects. These can be rocks, tree branches, etc. Depending on the number of potential hiding spots, it can vary in difficulty. After 20 to 30 finds you should develop a keen sense of where caches are hidden. The best ones are those that you don't suspect, but are cleverly concealed and not readily visible. I like tree stumps and hollow logs, myself, but I have seen some great ones. This is usually the hardest part. You will seldom miss finding a cache by very much, and when you return later, you will kick yourself for not seeing it. You want to always give yourself a little more time than you think it should take, because that last peek under that rock or bush that you already checked three times, is usually the one when you see it. Most importantly: TRUST THE GPS. In 101 finds, I have never failed because my GPS was wrong. If it is getting low on battery power, change the batteries. It can make all the difference in the world. The compass method is valid and very useful in thick brush, as is the "walk-by" method. I have used all of these at one time or another. It is wise to have them all in your quiver, because you may need them all to find any given cache.

There is my $0.02 and then some. Good luck...you'll need it!

Guest bunkerdave

Just found #101 yesterday, so I guess I am experienced, though I only started April 26th. Say what you will. icon_smile.gif

I like to try to find it with the compass screen - my Map330 uses a sun/moon compass instead of a north compass, seems to work better. I will look around a bit just with that, and after a few minutes, I will switch to the screen that shows the coords and make sure my coords match the waypoint in my gps. It is not hard to remember the last three digits of the LAT and LON, so just use those. Obviously, there comes a point when the GPS has done its work, and you have to actually open your eyes and search. This is often the best part. Look for disturbed areas, first of all, and if it is a newer cache, look for "unnaturally placed" objects. These can be rocks, tree branches, etc. Depending on the number of potential hiding spots, it can vary in difficulty. After 20 to 30 finds you should develop a keen sense of where caches are hidden. The best ones are those that you don't suspect, but are cleverly concealed and not readily visible. I like tree stumps and hollow logs, myself, but I have seen some great ones. This is usually the hardest part. You will seldom miss finding a cache by very much, and when you return later, you will kick yourself for not seeing it. You want to always give yourself a little more time than you think it should take, because that last peek under that rock or bush that you already checked three times, is usually the one when you see it. Most importantly: TRUST THE GPS. In 101 finds, I have never failed because my GPS was wrong. If it is getting low on battery power, change the batteries. It can make all the difference in the world. The compass method is valid and very useful in thick brush, as is the "walk-by" method. I have used all of these at one time or another. It is wise to have them all in your quiver, because you may need them all to find any given cache.

There is my $0.02 and then some. Good luck...you'll need it!

Guest logscaler

Well said bunkerdave. I have a couple hidden in plain site but they are real natural. I know several people have looked and missed due to the foot tracks. Yet, they have not logged them one way or the next. Wonder why?

Yes, I have checked and they are still well hidden and still there. Come on people, admit you can not find as well as can find. I could make it real tough. I have thought of a cache style yet to be mentioned anywhere yet. Wait for it. It just might catch on.

Guest Chris Juricich

One thing I've learned on approaching a site is that when the distance reading starts to stay static at one particular distance, I back off and try another direction and do a circular route.

With our second find, we were initially perhaps 150 feet away from the cache but a steep, slippery hillside away from the spot. We found a firetrail that led close and at one point, closing in we found ourselves about 30 feet from the site-- but again going up a hill through some thorny brush.

Essentially we sought an alternative approach that took us on a vector away from the closest point we could get on the firetrail, then located a nearly parallel path that led us right to it.

If we were crows... but we still have feet. Remembering that the actual initial cachers also have feet and perhaps a dismay for steep ascents is a big help. Is that a psychological approach?

Guest gstrong1

I also don't go on a cache hunt without my compass.I'll use my GPS compass page until it says I'm within 50/60 ft. of the cache & then take the bearing and work off my sight bearing compass.I'll keep an eye on how many feet away I am from the co-ordinates on the GPS but use my compass for direction.It seems to work out pretty well.Haven't missed one yet out of 46 hunts.The only time I run into trouble is when the posted co-ordinates are off.If the cache is in some deep woods, you have to assume that the possibility exists that the person who placed the cache might have gotten the numbers off a GPS that doesn't get real good satellite coverage under heavy tree cover.If I've got 4/5 sats on my unit, and the cache just is not there, I'll start looking around for spots I would place a cache.I've had a few where I found the cache as far as 85 ft. from the posted numbers.And that figure was off my 2 best GPS units with great satellite reception.It will happen, but perseverance & patience will pay off.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest JoeyBob

Take #1 Son, my 4 year old. The kid has the sharpest eyesight imaginable. I use the gps to get him close, and just watch. He doesn't miss.

JoeyBob

Guest WJJagfan

I'm with JoeyBob. My six year old will match up to any adult in finding a well hidden cache.

We went on one that really had me stumped, and I thought it would be the first miss we had. My son said,"Is this it?" I looked down at a plastic lid lying on the ground, and when I went to pick it up it was attached to a coffee can buried at ground level. The lid was so dirty, it blended right in with the soil.

If I want to find a cache really really fast, I'll take along my other four kids and some neices and nephews for good measure. No cache is hidden well enough to withstand their scrutiny. I could almost leave my GPS at home. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

WJJagFan

[This message has been edited by WJJagfan (edited 13 July 2001).]

Guest WJJagfan

I'm with JoeyBob. My six year old will match up to any adult in finding a well hidden cache.

We went on one that really had me stumped, and I thought it would be the first miss we had. My son said,"Is this it?" I looked down at a plastic lid lying on the ground, and when I went to pick it up it was attached to a coffee can buried at ground level. The lid was so dirty, it blended right in with the soil.

If I want to find a cache really really fast, I'll take along my other four kids and some neices and nephews for good measure. No cache is hidden well enough to withstand their scrutiny. I could almost leave my GPS at home. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

WJJagFan

[This message has been edited by WJJagfan (edited 13 July 2001).]