Tadpole?

Riddlers

I have read the posts for a few days now and tried a few myself but some have pictures and sayings and some, like mine, say, "tadpole". Is there somewhere that explains all of the names. How do I move from a tadpole to a regular frog? And I have a warning meter that I see on mine but no one elses. I know that I haven't done anything to be warned about. Can someone explain these features?

Everyone has a warning meter. You can only see yours.

As for tadpole. This indicates you haven't posted much in the forums. Once you pass that magic number you won't show as a tadpole. And I don't remember what that number is.

Welcome. If you don't like the tadpole label, go into the other forums and post some. There's a thread called abject silliness. Put anything you want in there.

F_M

"Tadpole" signifies fewer than 10 posts in the forums. It will change to "Geocacher" once you've hit the magic number.

Warn 0% is normal. Everyone has this, but you can only see your own. If you don't follow the forum guidelines, the moderators will give you a warning. If you do something really bad, they may moderate your future posts (meaning a moderator has to approve them before they will be posted). You also risk having your account banned if continue violating forum guidelines.

Welcome. If you don't like the tadpole label, go into the other forums and post some. There's a thread called abject silliness. Put anything you want in there.

Hey, abject silliness is not the dumping ground for meaningless posts. That's the test posting thread in the getting started area. Abject Silliness is where you are free to post about silly things that don't involve Geoaching.

Welcome.  If you don't like the tadpole label, go into the other forums and post some.  There's a thread called abject silliness.  Put anything you want in there.

Hey, abject silliness is not the dumping ground for meaningless posts. That's the test posting thread in the getting started area. Abject Silliness is where you are free to post about silly things that don't involve Geoaching.

I guess you are right. But you have to admit there is some junk in there.

F_M

Welcome.  If you don't like the tadpole label, go into the other forums and post some.  There's a thread called abject silliness.  Put anything you want in there.

listen to the smurf. AS is where you go to have fun and be silly. B) it is also not for increasing your post count needlessly. B)

Hmm, the last time I checked Abject Silliness, someone was counting up to 1000 posts. When he hit that number all of the "regulars" in the thread congratulated him. B)

Hmm, the last time I checked Abject Silliness, someone was counting up to 1000 posts. When he hit that number all of the "regulars" in the thread congratulated him. B)

Yeah, but now he's sitting there with 1999 posts and is waiting to hit 2000 until he can make it meaningful.

When I hit 2000, I started a thread. Back then, there were only 11 people with 2000 posts (including me). Now, there are 19, with one person a post away from making it 20. It's not an exclusive club anymore, so the only ones that are still excited about getting there are <18 B)

listen to the smurf. AS is where you go to have fun and be silly. :) it is also not for increasing your post count needlessly. :)

Yea! What they said!

listen to the smurf. AS is where you go to have fun and be silly. :) it is also not for increasing your post count needlessly. :)

especially if you post one word at a time. But that has never been done ... by the way any news on him yet?

Hey, the smurf can count!
Yeah, but look at his hands. He's only got three fingers and a thumb. That has him counting to a base of 8 instead of 10.

Maybe he's using his toes?

I just did an internet search to find out how many toes a Smurf has. I definitely need more sleep!

I'll try to get this thread back on topic:

Riddlers, I see that you're no longer a tadpole. Congratulations on losing your tale and growing legs! Do you happen to recall at what number your title changed?

Oh, and by the way, a Smurf has eight toes.

Hey, the smurf can count!
Yeah, but look at his hands. He's only got three fingers and a thumb. That has him counting to a base of 8 instead of 10.

Maybe he's using his toes?

I just did an internet search to find out how many toes a Smurf has. I definitely need more sleep!

<snip>

Oh, and by the way, a Smurf has eight toes.

Again, what's the problem with an octal numbering system? :D

Again, what's the problem with an octal numbering system?

I have no problem with an octal numbering system... I'm just curious how a guy with only 8 fingers can play the sax?

BTW Riddlers, congrats... you're no longer a tadpole! Welcome to the wide world of the geocaching forums :D

Edit: trying to keep at least semi on topic :D

Edited by cache_us_if_you_can
Again, what's the problem with an octal numbering system? :o

Not a thing. But how would it work? When I was in school we had to learn how to do math in Roman numerals, but I don't remember how it goes. I also used to know a little about binary numbering, but that was like 30 years ago.

So is it:

Arabic- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Roman- I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

Octal- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11

For example is an octal 11 equal to an arabic 10?

Also, as I recall, the Roman numbering system does not have a zero. Does your octal system?

So is it:

Arabic- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Octal- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11

For example is an octal 11 equal to an arabic 10?

No. Octal 11 = Arabic (ok, base 10) 9.

Octal does not have a symbol for 8, anymore than base 10 has a symbol for 10.

so it's 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,10,11 as the Saxy Pony shows.

Octal is a base 8 numbering system:

00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,20,21,etc

Okay, I get it now. At least the basic numbering, but how would you do multiplication?

And are there any advantages of an octal system over the base ten?

And how did we get so far away from the topic?

Okay, I get it now. At least the basic numbering, but how would you do multiplication?

Multiplication is done by the AND function (where addition is done by eXclusive-OR).

Octal Multiplication Table:

| 0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7
---+-----------------------
0 | 0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0
1 | 0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7
2 | 0  2  4  6 10 12 14 16
3 | 0  3  6 11 14 17 22 25
4 | 0  4 10 14 20 24 30 34
5 | 0  5 12 17 24 31 36 43
6 | 0  6 14 22 30 36 44 52
7 | 0  7 16 25 34 43 52 61

Multiplication is done by the AND function (where addition is done by eXclusive-OR).

Octal Multiplication Table:

| 0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7
---+-----------------------
0 | 0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0
1 | 0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7
2 | 0  2  4  6 10 12 14 16
3 | 0  3  6 11 14 17 22 25
4 | 0  4 10 14 20 24 30 34
5 | 0  5 12 17 24 31 36 43
6 | 0  6 14 22 30 36 44 52
7 | 0  7 16 25 34 43 52 61

All of the numbers and charts are fine an swell, but it still doesn't answer my question: How does a guy with 8 fingers (or a purple pony for that mater) play the saxaphone?

Base 10 works really well when you need to divide by 5. It does that really good. On the other hand it pretty much sucks for everything else. About the only reason we use it is because most of us have 10 fingers and 10 toes.

Base 8 is really nice, because it's really just 2*2*2. It was a good solid backbone of computing until someone realized base 16 kicked base 8's butt.

Base 16 (2*2*2*2 or 2^4 or 2^(2*2) or 2^2^2) is really good for compters (since they only deal with base 2 anyway). It goes 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f with f=15. It's the language of computers and Traveller players everywhere.

so just slightly off the subject, what was the longest continuous topic thread? does anyone know how many posts or who started the topic? or even what it was?

Longest topic - Abject Sillyness

Number of post > 10000 over 200 pages

Topic started by - Pat Paterson

Real topic - spleen venting and general chatter, plus a whole bunch of silly stuff.

Ever whacked a penguin? :o