Poison Ivy And Poison Oak

Well folks, I'm in my mid 30's and have done a lot of camping. I've woken up after sleeping under the stars to find that I slid downhill a bit into a patch of poison ivy. I've fallen into it. I've grabbed onto poison oak coverd branches to help myself up a hill. And never have I ever gotten a case.

Guess what I have now!!!!

My first ever case of poison. There goes my carefree hiking days. Now I have to pay attention to what the plants around me are. Never again can I mappily say that I don't catch poison ivy.

This sucks!!!!!

F_M

that's a bummer I've never had to worry about it. I actually found a cache last year that was placed in poison ivy, I knew this from some of the logs and when we found it I walked in and got the cache while my brother and sister stood where there wasn't any. I hope this isn't common I would really hate to have to worry about that in addition to the ticks and muggles.

I found that a bottle of Citrus Orange hand cleaner like from Napa, in the car is great to have around when youthink there might be some poison oak. It cuts the oils in the plants that let the poison spread and is easier to clean off before you touch the steering wheel and everything else.

I know I got it while caching. Not sure of the cache, but have a general idea. I always bragged about it as well. Those days are gone I guess.

For those that suffer, I've found a pretty good alternative to calamine lotion. It's a gel and goes on better. And it's clear.

I've also seen mention of poison ivy wipes. Anyone ever use these? Do they work pretty well? If so, I'm going to have to add some to my cache bag.

F_M

I had a similar situation. Until two years ago, I thought I was immune. Since then, I've learned what it looks like and try to avoid it. I've also learned a few things to do...

1) Keep a bottle or two of isopropyl rubbing alcohol in your vehicle. When you are done caching/hiking rub your hands and exposed areas down with rubbing alcohol.

2) There is a product called Rhus Tox (roo tocks) that can be found at pharmacies. It is a liquid that you take over a period of time. The liquid contains the toxin that is found in PI and what you are doing is building up an immunity to it. I've not used Rhus Tox yet, so I can't comment on it's effectiveness, but I plan to order some this spring. In fact, I'm glad you brought this thread up because I need to do this now. Here is one such pharmacy... http://www.boltondrug.com/

3) My doctor prescribed me Zyrtec. It's a prescription antihistamine. He says that his studies have shown that it provides an effective barrier to the toxin. I take a Zyrtec before I go into the woods and I haven't been hit yet.

Be careful out there.

-E

and for goodness sakes, if you do get into it, don't just throw your sweatshirt in the back of the car, or next time you put it on, you will be re-exposed.

Good point. I've basically gone thru everything that went caching with me and cleaned it all.

It's bizarre. I have it on my forearm. That seems to be where it started. There's a patch across my forehead and down the right side of my face. Put there when I lie with my forearm across my forehead. There's another patch diagonally across my stomach in a perfect outline of my arm. When lying on my side, this is where my arm lays across my body.

It's clearing up now, but really itches.

Did I mention that THIS SUCKS?

F_M

P.S. Riddlers, you will be past that tadpole label in no time at all.

As a doctor who both reacts exquisitely to poison oak and treats people with it I'd like to throw in my two cents.

This UC Davis site has some good information.

Obviously, the best bet is not touching the plants, but I swear I've gotten it from just being in a densly growing area.

Clothing and a chemical barrier--like Ivy Block-- are your best bet. Once the oil gets on your skin you are committed to a 3 week outbreak.

Antihistamines(like Zyrtec or Benadryl) or steroid lotoins (like hydrocortisone or the stronger prescription ones) are your first choice of treatment, but if you've got it on more than 10-20% of your body--or in "sensitive areas"--you'll want to be on steroid pills--usually Prednisone. (They won't give you muscles B) )

1) Keep a bottle or two of isopropyl rubbing alcohol in your vehicle. When you are done caching/hiking rub your hands and exposed areas down with rubbing alcohol.

Most sources say you have to get it off your skin within 15 minutes--so be aware of this if you're planning a long hike.

2) There is a product called Rhus Tox (roo tocks) that can be found at pharmacies. It is a liquid that you take over a period of time. The liquid contains the toxin that is found in PI and what you are doing is building up an immunity to it. I've not used Rhus Tox yet, so I can't comment on it's effectiveness, but I plan to order some this spring. In fact, I'm glad you brought this thread up because I need to do this now. Here is one such pharmacy... http://www.boltondrug.com/

There's also Ivy Block sold at many drug stores--it's what I use.

3) My doctor prescribed me Zyrtec. It's a prescription antihistamine. He says that his studies have shown that it provides an effective barrier to the toxin. I take a Zyrtec before I go into the woods and I haven't been hit yet.

Zyrtec as a pill won't protect you from the oil. It might blunt a reaction, but you should use clothing or Ivy Block to keep it off you in the first place.

This thread also talks about the PO out here in California.

edit:To add Markwell

Edited by GeoWorms

Thanks for the info doc. I'm sure my insurance will cover this. B)

My sister would have incredible reactions to it. We would have picnics down near the water and if the wind was blowing strong, she would get it. One year she had it so bad that she just ballooned up. Her eyes even swelled shut. She hasn't had it since.

I'll have to take a look at the info. Thanka again for it.

F_M

I haven't yet had PI, but I think that's due to sheer luck - because I realized this weekend while caching in Waco that I clearly didn't know what to look for. Texas is COVERED in PI - and Waco in particular is known for it - so I know I've definitely been around it a lot. We saw forests of PI, the plants taller than me, the leaf spread bigger than my face, and vines around trees thicker than my arm. Yowza!

As a plant person, I know what Poison Oak (California) looks like in all its forms. It pays to know what it looks like and where it grows. Next time your out, have someone point it out and study it. Its worth knowing.

Anytime I think I've been exposed, I launder those clothes separate (don't want to expose the entire family) and use some Simple Green in the shower. My assumption is that it cuts the oils better than soap. No clinical tests but so far, so good.

poisonoak.jpg

Poinson Ivy sucks. Calamine Lotion never seemed to help at all, but there was some prescription stuff that would dry the rash out quickly - don't know what it was called. One year I had a series of preventative allergy shots, and three months later I got into some 'ivy at camp and ended up in the hospital - My doctor said not to bother with the shots again.

I did sort of grow out of it as I got older. I still got rashes, year-round even, but not the internal allergic reactions.

TechNu is priceless if you ~have~ to work in the forests out East.

Finally disgusted, I moved to the mountain Southwest. There's also no briars, few snakes, no wide-spread mosquito problem, low humidity, ticks are rare, and No Poinson Ivy. I guess people in the rest of the country simply don't know any better than to live there...

-Bob

It seems like I get poison oak just by looking at it. In the past I've used Tech Nu with great results, but I've found that I no longer react well to it (having poison oak and an allergic reaction to the stuff you use trying to stop it sucks). I've now found something called Marie's Original Poison Oak Soap. It's cheap (retails $3.49 a bar, but shop around at your local Mtn. Bike shops... one of ours has it for $2.99) and it works great.

Tecnu works pretty good. It seems you can also rub it on your legs, (if you are wearing shorts) and then wash it off after your hike, along with any PO oils. I am finally over a 2-3 week bout with poison oak. I literally climbed thru a huge bush of it, but there were no leaves on it whatsoever. After I climbed thru the thousands of branches, i noticed three little leaves sticking out of one branch. I couldnt believe what I had just done. Worse yet, the ONLY way out of where I had just climbed, was back thru the bush. It was so much more painful this time, knowing what I was climbing thru.

A lot of the rashes I had looked like scrape marks, because the poison oak branches scratched me all up.

That Rhus-Tox looks very interesting. Has anyone here tried it?

Also, another way to temporarily relieve the itch once you have it, is to take a HOT shower. When the hot water touches the itchy rash, it feels like you are scratching the hell out of it, without actually doing so. Then, after that, it doesnt itch all day.

A fellow cacher recently recommended wearing a very loose windbreaker, even in summer. Keeps it off you.

I got the itching of my worst case controlled with Zanfel, didn't have to actally go to the doctor. Have seen much worse with mine own two eyes though.

We found out about 3 weeks ago all about poison ivy. Nothing here was blooming yet. Barely any buds on the trees so poison ivy never even crossed our minds. Won't make that mistake again. My 14 yr. old daughter had the worst case I'd even personally seen all over the right side of her face. It was swollen twice it's normal size, all red and purple, eye swollen shut. Poor thing was miserable and nothing was making it feel better. Finally made a trip to the doctor. She got a shot, a script for Prednizone and he recommend an over the counter wash called Domeboro. It's granuals that you mix with water and pat onto the affected area. It really helps dry up the blisters along with easing the itching.

Now that I know what it looks like and that it never really goes dormant I've noticed it everywhere. I had no idea TN was so covered up in it.

This thread offered some great information to help prevent it from happening again. Thanks for that. Both vehicles will now have a bottle of rubbing alcohol in them. We already make sure we have long sleeves, long pants and boots on regardless of the weather because of ticks. Ivy is another reason to wear this protective clothing. I've also heard that you can spray exposed skin with deodarant before heading into the woods and that would help keep the oils off. Don't know if this really works but it's certainly worth a try.

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but a few years back I had a nasty case of poison ivy and my doctor gave me an awesome tip. This works best with the "head on a hose" type of shower... Get your shower as hot as you can stand it - really, really HOT - but not so much that you woudl scald your skin! Put that hot water on the affected area.

You will go through the most intense itching you can comprehend, and then the ksin starts to feel cool... What happens is that the hot water forces the skin to release its histamines. Those hist's are what causes itching, and it can take up to 6-8 hours to replenish the hist's. If you get it, controlling the itching is everything and this trick twice a day got me through with very little suffering. Hope this helps someone!

Only take a very hot shower after you are sure that you have gotten all of the oil off of you. When you are first exposed you should take a COLD shower and use soap (or Tecnu!). A lot of people get really bad cases the first time they react because of the hot shower or taking a bath. The warm water actually helps to spread the oil around your body.

You should also be careful with any gear that you have that may have been exposed. The oil (called urishiol oil) from the leaves of the plants can stay active for a year or more and it doesn't come off easily.

Just a note from someone who has poison oak a lot!!! I have it even now...not sure where from. :o

Watch out for The Oak!

yeah no doubt about the ticks and lyme disease on the east coast, I just got bitten by a brown recluse spider 3 weeks ago in nc and had to go to the er for outpatient survery. now I have a hole in my leg half the size of a golf ball and over a month to heal. all this by wearing shorts on a recent cache. i was lucky to say the least...

boots,pants,long sleeve shirts for sure next time. and ivy lotion. LOL------

Poison oak? Ivy? Hmm... maybe urban micros have something going for them after all. :-)

I second the recommendation for very hot water. I occasionally have an allergic reaction to some shoes, and it makes my feet itch like crazy. If I soak them in the hottest water that I can stand for 3-5 minutes, the itching goes away and stays away for many hours.

I'm dealing with a case of P.O. right now - I think my third case in the past year since I started caching. Out here in CA, I see it as something of an "occupational hazard". I'm well stocked with Ivy Block (preventative) and Tecnu (post-exposure) - and in this last incident, I even knew when I was exposed (digging through a bush at night up in the east bay hills, only to discover as I was REPLACING the cache that the bush was interlaced with a ton of poison oak). I did the full Tecnu regimen, immediately washed all my clothes (wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt), gave the dog a bath... but a couple days later, it started coming on. When I realized how extensive it was, I decided this time I was going to try the doctor (as my last batch was a long, itchy, sometimes painful month of recovery).

First, in discussing the treatment I had been doing (the HOT shower method, plus Claritin, plus topical cortisone cream), he warned me strongly against this technique. I described the same logic I just read here - that it draws out the histamines from the skin (this has certainly worked for me in the past). He claimed that while this may provide temporary relief from the itching, it was a Bad Thing overall for the rash, causing it to "blossom". I'm not sure I experienced that - but I decided to take his word for it this time around and cut that out of my treatment routine.

So, I asked for the full treatment - and got it! A big shot in the butt cheek, and then a 6-day "dosepak" of MethylPrednisolone tablets (tapered off dosing - 6 pills the first day, 5 the next, then 4, etc), and some Kenalog spray (Triamcinolone Acetonide in a spray). He suggested not only using the spray for relief from the itching during this outbreak - but to carry it in my field pack, and apply immediately when I suspect exposure. Well, I think I'll still Tecnu first (didn't have any mobile with me this time, and waited until I finished my caching outing and returned home to clean up) - but I'm definitely going to add this to my kit.

Poison Oak definitely sucks - but being only three days into it, and already seeing signs of signficant improvement (when typically it's still coming on for about the first week and a half) - all I can say is:

Better Living Through Chemistry!

If I'm over this in a week (which it looks like I just might be...) I'm going to be SUCH a happy camper.

Just my experience - TMMV,

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

I find it interesting to note all of the people who say "I didn't think I was allergic to it until this last time." From what I've read, that's because almost everyone is "immune" to it on the first exposure. It's only after repeated exposures that the body becomes sensitized to it.

That's why, even though I can't recall having any reaction to it, I still steer well clear of the stuff.

Since none of these things have been mentioned, here are three contributions:

1) My father, immediately upon an outbreak, takes sand off the beach, walks into the salt water, and scrubs the bumps open/out raw (sandpaper if away from the shore but still salt water).

No more itching and the raw skin heals in a day or two comfortably. I've always questioned the initial pain, but he says it's wonderful as it satisfies that initial itching and then is itch/painfree.

I can attest to the results, he's never scratched or exhibited symptoms afterward. (A doc would probably chase it with hydrogen peroxide or similar to clean the raw wound.)

2) An older relation of my Mom used to eat a poison ivy leaf at the start of every Spring, claiming that it afforded him immunity (desensitization nowadays). Who knows, but he never had a case (perhaps already unaffected).

(Poison Ivy tea anyone? Hehe..) I DON'T advise this, as folks in the carribean (where it's a tree not a vine) will sometimes die simply by sheltering under a tree during a rain as their internal tissues swell (now that I think about it, I assume bronchial and suffocation?) However, if you do try it and it works let us know!!

3) Another product called Ivy Dry. When I was a kid it was by prescription and was a cream--AMAZING! Now it's an OTC liquid (less concentrated?) and not as miraculous. I just checked the bottle, Tannic Acid is the main ingredient and Isopropyl Alcohol's in there too. It eliminates the itch moments after application for hours and helps eliminate the bumps.

Since I'm only bothered when trying to fall asleep, I'll apply it before heading off to bed for an itch free night.

4) (Wait, I never claimed a fourth idea!) In lieu of itching, when away from remedies, I press a fingernail tip in hard. Seems to satisfy the nerves without exacerbating the itch.

hth,

Randy

I've made it through 50 years without getting it yet. I even had someone identify "that big unknown plant" in the corner of my back yard as poison ivy. I had let it grow unchecked for several years because that corner of the yard was barren and it looked okay on the fence. Unfortunately, my wife and teenage daughter cut it down without knowing what it was. They both got nailed. (Still not a good topic of discussion around the house)

It's a bit like getting sea-sick. There are two kinds of people: those who have been sea-sick; and those who will be at some point in the future.

Edited by letaylor
I haven't yet had PI, but I think that's due to sheer luck - because I realized this weekend while caching in Waco that I clearly didn't know what to look for. Texas is COVERED in PI - and Waco in particular is known for it - so I know I've definitely been around it a lot. We saw forests of PI, the plants taller than me, the leaf spread bigger than my face, and vines around trees thicker than my arm. Yowza!

I think I have to say the same thing with poison oak as well. I've come in contact with it several time, but nothing has happened yet. I'm still cautious out in the woods nevertheless.

We stumbled across some poison oak plants on a cache hunt last Saturday where the bush was at least five feet high. It dwarfed my son. This was the same cache where I saw the bobcat. Decided that we didn't need to bushwhack to find this cache. Gotta find another route to that one.

Well folks, I'm glad I started a pretty good thread for once.

As for the poison ivy, it's healing. I layed around for 2 days. (It's really nice when you are preparing for a new job and burning leave) I read these forums and used some of the suggestions.

Whether it is good or not, I found the really hot shower feels great. I used that each morning. Also did this in the sink periodically thru the day on the wrists.

The only real weeping I had was on my stomach. I layed on the floor for 3 hours and kept it covered with Calimine. When one coat would dry, I'll do it again. I wish I would have done this sooner. Stopped the weeping in 1 evening. Of course getting this caked on Calimine off me was kind of painful. I'm relatively hairless, but I quickly found that while you don't see them, I've got LOTS of tiny littly hairs on me. I think I pulled every one of these off my stomach. I can't believe women pull hairs our of their body for beauty's sake. I wouldn't be able to do it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I see that I'm going to have to do some shopping. I need to get some of these products for future outbreaks.

F_M

I have never had a problem with it and I barely know what it looks like. I probably should learn since my kids go caching with me from time to time. I found a cache back in January that was hidden underneath some poison oak roots. It was winter time so there were no leaves and I could not tell what it was. I was the first to find on that one. The next person that logged a find was at the cache site with the cache owner and could not find it so the owner showed it to him and he said he was not touching it since the ammo can was being held in place by the poison oak root. This cache has since been archived so I was the first and only find on that one thanks to the poison oak. I hope I never have a problem with poison oak or ivy. If I do it will seriously cut into the time that I spend hiking and geocaching.

After I got poison oak for the first time a month or so ago, I read up on it. It seems that the oil, urishiol is EXTREMELY strong. It will last 1-5 years on an object, and will still be able to produce a rash. Also, something I read, it said that the amount of oil on the head of a pin, is enough to give a huge number of people a rash (I don't remember how many people).

Anyway, after I realized how strong it was, I figured someone would want to cause some mayhem, and would have extracted the oil into a concentrate. You would be able to put it on door knobs, or TOILET SEATS!!! and no one would be able to see it, and it could cause rashes over and over.

Thankfully, I seem to be the only one who thought of it. Or maybe no one else wants to mess with the nasty stuff enough to actually do it.

I couldnt find it anywhere. Which is a good thing. :rolleyes:

Used to brag about not being allergic to the stuff

Reminds me of a story..

My Ex, in the infinate wisdom of youth, decided to do a little bragging of his own.

So first he rolled down a hill into it.

Then he rolled around in it.

Then he picked some up.

Rubbed it on his arms... rubbed it on his face...

Decided that wasn't enough cockiness.....

Used it instead of toilet paper.

Anyone want to guess what ONE spot broke out??????? :rolleyes:

Anyway, on a slightly more helpful note... Allergens tend to change every seven years. So if you have an allergy (which is what a poison oak/ivy reaction is), it will cycle in approximately 7 years. Of course, for those of us without the allergy, it's either really good news or a warning that it could change for those of us who are saved from it. For those of you with the allergy, it means hope for you.

I'm going to knock on wood (of a tree I recognize, thank you!) that I never have the allergy... Of course, I'm allergic to grass, so I can see this one being next.

Poison Ivy and Poison Oak as have been told in the past, is a alergic reaction to the fluids/oils from the plant. Some people (like Native Americans) are not effected.

Those that develop an alergy, were probably alleric but just didn't know it. After each exposure, the effects can get progressively worse (as it is with most allergies). Basically your immune system get annoyed with being exposed to something it doesn't like.

<snip>So, I asked for the full treatment - and got it! A big shot in the butt cheek, and then a 6-day "dosepak" of MethylPrednisolone tablets (tapered off dosing - 6 pills the first day, 5 the next, then 4, etc),<snip>

Please let me know how this works.

The dermatologist I trained with said most folks will continue to try and break out for 14 days after the exposure. If you stop your steroids on day 9 or 10 post-exposure you are sometimes taking the brakes off when you're still breaking out.

Meanwhile--stay the course.